C Andreas Athanasiou (2012, 110th, DET)

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
I was wondering what the OHL followers are thinking about Knights forward Andreas Athanasiou, what are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he rank among other 2012 draft prospects from OHL like Yakupov, Ebert, Koekkoek, Marcantuoni, Galchenyuk, Laughton, Curcuruto, Maidens, Gaunce and so on...

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
He's a huge surprise this year and it's amazing how far he's come since his MM season last year. He's not in the same league as some of those guys you mentioned, but he does have a lot of talent. One major thing he needs to do is really bulk up and add some strength to his frame. Either way he's putting together a good season so far, but next year will be the real indicator.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Wow looks to have some skill for sure, how come players of Middle Eastern descent have a lot of top 6 or bust players? :sarcasm:
Ramzi Abid, Prab Rai, Nazem Kadri, Kevin Sundher, Mika Zibanejad now Andreas Anthanasiou.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Wow looks to have some skill for sure, how come players of Middle Eastern descent have a lot of top 6 or bust players? :sarcasm:
Ramzi Abid, Prab Rai, Nazem Kadri, Kevin Sundher, Mika Zibanejad now Andreas Anthanasiou.

Wow...

Ramzi Abid is part Tunisian, Prabh Rai and Kevin Sundher are Indian, Mika Zibanejad is almost certainly not Arab, probably of Bosnian descent and I'm quite sure that Athanasiou is a Greek name.

So I guess actually there aren't many Middle Eastern players, now are there?

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Wow...

Ramzi Abid is part Tunisian, Prabh Rai and Kevin Sundher are Indian, Mika Zibanejad is almost certainly not Arab, probably of Bosnian descent and I'm quite sure that Athanasiou is a Greek name.

I believe Zibanejad is part Iranian.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Wow...

Its definitely Greek. I went to school with a person I knew for a fact was Greek and his name was Athanasiou. Oddly enough his mother was Saudi.

E: He forgot to mention Abdelkader, who is actually of Arabic descent.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Watching this kid in training camp he was consistently good didn't score in don't think but was all over the ice and had chances. But like some said he's scrony that what held him back. I walked by him in a suit at the beginning of the year and he looked like a kid that works at the JLC instead of playing on the ice.

He has been great and forced Dale to play him... that's hard to do for any 16 year old in London. He's got wheels great hands and isn't afraid of the dirty areas. Once he adds weight look out.

With the way he's play he's made our first round pick look pretty average... actually he can't even get in the lineup.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Wow...

Sorry I was thinking south/central asian don't know why I said Middle eastern. Also Anthanasiou is a common name for Cypric people from the country Cyprus which is a Eurasian country bordered by Turkey to the north and Lebanon/Syria to the east.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Sorry I was thinking south/central asian don't know why I said Middle eastern. Also Anthanasiou is a common name for Cypric people from the country Cyprus which is a Eurasian country bordered by Turkey to the north and Lebanon/Syria to the east.

No need to apologize but don't dig yourself a deeper hole now...

The reason Athanasiou is a common Cypriot name is because many Cypriots are Greek. It's a Greek name, period. You've already had two Greeks in this thread tell you that.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Athanasiou, Yakupov, Ebert, Koekkoek, Marcantuoni, Galchenyuk, Laughton, Curcuruto, Maidens, Gaunce and so on...
:laugh:

Really off-topic, but all of them are really funny names. :laugh: I could almost assume that those are some fake names from a game that generates random players. Or funny names from a course at Krusty's Clown College. Can't wait to see those names in the NHL :laugh:

But anyway, this Athanasiou looks like a great prospects. Reminds me of Gaborik with his skating and puckhandling.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
No need to apologize but don't dig yourself a deeper hole now...

The reason Athanasiou is a common Cypriot name is because many Cypriots are Greek. It's a Greek name, period. You've already had two Greeks in this thread tell you that.

What are you saying yes the name is Greek but how can you tell for sure that he is full Greek. Due to the location of the country itself there is no reason to believe he is not mixed with something else. I know someone with the last name Rocca which is an Italian last name but he will tell you himself he is more Ukranian than Italian and only about an eighth italian. It was premature on my part to assume autimatically he was of mixed south/central asian descent.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
What are you saying yes the name is Greek but how can you tell for sure that he is full Greek. Due to the location of the country itself there is no reason to believe he is not mixed with something else. I know someone with the last name Rocca which is an Italian last name but he will tell you himself he is more Ukranian than Italian and only about an eighth italian. It was premature on my part to assume autimatically he was of mixed south/central asian descent.

Cool story about your friend, don't care. AFAIC, kid with Greek name = Greek unless proven otherwise. Oh, and pro-tip: Cyprus isn't bordered by any country. It's an island...

Loso

Mar 21, 2010
Cool story about your friend, don't care. AFAIC, kid with Greek name = Greek unless proven otherwise. Oh, and pro-tip: Cyprus isn't bordered by any country. It's an island...

Being a Greek-Cypriot myself, I can pretty much vouch for the fact that most of the people in Cyprus with Greek last names are of Greek heritage. There has not been a lot of blending between the Turkish people and the Greeks after Turkey invaded, each mostly stays on their own side of the military border.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Due to the location of the country itself there is no reason to believe he is not mixed with something else.
We all are a mix of something, if we go far back enough. Given the religious/cultural differences between the Greek and the Turkish population in Cyprus, it's uncommon for these two Ethnic groups to mix, especially now that the island is divided into two and there's a somewhat resentful atmosphere between the two groups. It's true that there are a lot of tourists moving to live in Cyprus, but it's a pretty new phenomenon.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Being a Greek-Cypriot myself, I can pretty much vouch for the fact that most of the people in Cyprus with Greek last names are of Greek heritage. There has not been a lot of blending between the Turkish people and the Greeks after Turkey invaded, each mostly stays on their own side of the military border.

Tormentor said:
We all are a mix of something, if we go far back enough. Given the religious/cultural differences between the Greek and the Turkish population in Cyprus, it's uncommon for these two Ethnic groups to mix, especially now that the island is divided into two and there's a somewhat resentful atmosphere between the two groups. It's true that there are a lot of tourists moving to live in Cyprus, but it's a pretty new phenomenon.

Not to mention the various migrations and expulsions of Greeks from Turkey and vice versa. I have a lot of Turkish friends but I've never met any with Greek heritage.

Raptactics29

Mar 28, 2007
London, Ontario
Love this kid so far.. he seems to play the game the right way (I know, cliche), he has a ton of untapped potential, and is very coach-able (from what I hear).

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York

Christ.
You can say that about every single person in the world...

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

Ok thanks. He does not look like any Greek I have ever seen so I assumed his fathers side was of Greek descent and he was probably mixed with a south/central asain group. Yes I realize there is not alot of mixing going on in Cyprus however being from Toronto (multi-ethnic society) and having a mom named Nadira(common arabic name) led me to believe this.

Last edited:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Ok thanks. He does not look like any Greek I have ever seen so I assumed his fathers side was of Greek descent and he was probably mixed with a south asain group. Yes I realize there is not alot of mixing going on in Cyprus however being from Toronto (multi-ethnic society) and having a mom named Nadira(common arabic name) led me to believe this.

South Asia is India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Burma. You don't have the slightest clue about geography, do you? Or do you really think he's part Burmese?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
:laugh:Yeah seriously, Cyprus is not really even Asian let alone south Asian. It was part of the Byzantine empire for centuries, then became a principality of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, then a Latin state, and then went back into Greek hands before the Turks conquered it. And even aside from the fact that the Turks did not really mix with the Cypriots, it was only a Turkish possession for about 500 years. You're ommitting the thousands of years of established bloodlines that preceded that.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
South Asia is India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Burma. You don't have the slightest clue about geography, do you? Or do you really think he's part Burmese?

:laugh:Yeah seriously, Cyprus is not really even Asian let alone south Asian. It was part of the Byzantine empire for centuries, then became a principality of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, then a Latin state, and then went back into Greek hands before the Turks conquered it. And even aside from the fact that the Turks did not really mix with the Cypriots, it was only a Turkish possession for about 500 years. You're ommitting the thousands of years of established bloodlines that preceded that.

Never said Cyprus was in south asia I said he is probably Cypric-Greek mixed with some arabic group whether it be Lebanese or what not. He is from Toronto and his mothers name has arabic origin but no one can really tell for sure what his ethnic makeup is. To say he is 100% Greek is completely absent minded. Read what I wrote I already said that it was a Eurasian country. I'm actually over this meningless topic cause thats not what this thread is about but people like Brandinho actually have nothing better to do then to correct little insignifigant details.

Last edited:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Never said Cyprus was in south asia I said he is probably Cypric-Greek mixed with some arabic group whether it be Lebanese or what not. He is from Toronto and his mothers name has arabic origin but no one can really tell for sure what his ethnic makeup is. To say he is 100% Greek is completely absent minded. Read what I wrote I already said that it was a Eurasian country. I'm actually over this meningless topic cause thats not what this thread is about but people like Brandinho actually have nothing better to do then to correct little insignifigant details.

Lebanon isn't in South Asia either, chief. You keep contradicting yourself. First those guys were Middle Eastern. Then you didn't mean Middle Eastern, you meant South Asian. Now he might be Arab. When will his Inuit heritage come to light?

And there's no such thing as "Cypric-Greek". There are Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots but they're just Greeks and Turks who happen to live on Cyprus, not some other ethnic group. And why do you keep bringing up Cyprus anyway? There are about 700,000 people living there, 89% of whom are Greek. It's very unlikely Athanasiou's family comes from that island anyway.

Also, I'm confused as to how exactly he doesn't look like any Greek you've ever seen. Have you actually seen many Greeks? 300 doesn't count.

news_andreasathanasiou0651.jpg

429px-Georgio_Samaras_Celtic.jpg

30056.gif

1212652388634_1212652388634_r.jpg

You say these details are insignificant. Hmmm, maybe that's why you've gotten them all wrong?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad