C Aleksander Barkov (2013, 2nd overall, Florida) IV

anders and

Nov 16, 2013
1472019_191363111055528_245790305_n.jpg

"Friendly dinner with Alex Ovechkin before tomorrows game! Looking forward to beat Capitals after SO defeat last time."

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
That's kinda cool, wonder how they ended up dining together?

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
That's kinda cool, wonder how they ended up dining together?

barkov speaks fluent russian, so he probably just offered ovechkin some russian friendly dinner and some tips etc

he does make ovechkin looks small or atleast average sized though lol

e/ ovechkin also visitng SoFla, so i guess barkov offered to take him some place

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Love to see Barkov go casual. My Favourite player ever and his only 18. Was glued to every Tappara game last season and now to Florida.

Metalcommand

Mar 3, 2010
Look forward to seeing Sasha be the number 1 center going against Ovie in 2018 Korea :)

EDIT: Barkov looks older than Ovie lol

Last edited:

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
i love hos his cheeks are so high that it looks like he got a photoshopped dark side

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Barkov clearly psyched Ovie out on that dinner. Ovechkin didnt get anything done and Barkov nr1 star of the game and Panthers win.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Still my favorite prospect from last year. Just seeing this thread sitting there temporarily bummed me out that the Sabres didn't do the right thing and remain in the bottom of the standings last year. Loser points :cry:.

He's looking very good so far this year.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Still my favorite prospect from last year. Just seeing this thread sitting there temporarily bummed me out that the Sabres didn't do the right thing and remain in the bottom of the standings last year. Loser points :cry:.

He's looking very good so far this year.

He was my favorite prospect coming out of the draft. Florida has a gem. I really wish Buffalo would've had the chance to pick him as well. I'm happy with Risto, though.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
When/if he ever learns to be a little more selfish and demanding on the ice, he's going to be unstoppable. Now he's too nice a lot of the time, but he's so young that I wouldn't be too worried about it. He has years to get there and grow. I hope Florida can acquire him a suitable role model to help out with the development.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Is he 100 % Russian by blood? It's kind of interesting to see a Russian with the calm, composed Finnish mentality. ;)

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Is he 100 % Russian by blood? It's kind of interesting to see a Russian with the calm, composed Finnish mentality. ;)

his father played out his career in FEL, his mother is a russian basket ball player i think

born and raised in finland, so more finnish than russian i suppose

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Watched him play against Montreal last night after a long time and I have to say i'm very impressed. Nothing about his play screams 18 year old rookie, sure looks like veteran. He seems to be a little too conservative at times and could be more selfish as some posters have already said. All in all I think he is slam dunk franchise center. Congratz Panthers i think you made the right choice taking Barkov over Drouin or Jones.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
his father played out his career in FEL, his mother is a russian basket ball player i think

born and raised in finland, so more finnish than russian i suppose
He has said in a interview that at home with his family, he is 100% Russian, but everywhere else he is 100% Finnish.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I didn't realize how much Russian was in him. Please disregard all of my previous posts. He is lazy, avoids contact, takes nights off, and plays with no hart. :sarcasm:

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Watched him play against Montreal last night after a long time and I have to say i'm very impressed. Nothing about his play screams 18 year old rookie, sure looks like veteran. He seems to be a little too conservative at times and could be more selfish as some posters have already said. All in all I think he is slam dunk franchise center. Congratz Panthers i think you made the right choice taking Barkov over Drouin or Jones.

I second this. The fact that I came away so impressed when he didn't have a point, hit or shot really surprised me. He looks extremely composed out there.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
He has said in a interview that at home with his family, he is 100% Russian, but everywhere else he is 100% Finnish.

Excat quote:
Your parents are Russian, but you have been born and raised in Finland. Which tastes you better, russian soup or finnish soup?

- Im not very big fan of soups, but I like both Finnish and Russian food. In home with my parents I talk Russian, but outside of the home I'm completely Finn. I'm happy to play in Finnish national team, and I'm going to miss everything here when I go into the USA.

http://www.menaiset.fi/artikkeli/ajankohtaista/ihmiset/aleksander

Yeah.. Me naiset (Us Womens) magazine Article. :DD

He has Russian blood but is Culturally / mentally Finnish.. bit shy and does't want to show off too much, specially later is exactly the opposite in Russian culture. This combination of blood and culture sure doesn't sound bad hockey wise! He's Russian parents are respected to Raise such a good and skilled boy and let him live like a Finn among Finns.

Last edited:

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I second this. The fact that I came away so impressed when he didn't have a point, hit or shot really surprised me. He looks extremely composed out there.

this is bang on... he will find the points as he develops but unlike most younger players he affects the game in so many other areas. upgraded linemates would have him quite a few more points too as panthers dont score much...rarely makes a mistake good on faceoffs and can trust him in every situation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad