C Adam Musil - Red Deer Rebels, WHL (2015, 94th, STL)

Babula

May 31, 2012
He makes the team Canada for Hlinka 2014 and is a member of gold team there, right now... mixed feelings

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Big, smart forward. Very good motor and likes to work hard. Not the greatest puck handler. Creates offense through simple plays and going to the net, not overly creative. Good versatile player.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Any word on how he played at Hlinka? Guy to keep an eye on for sure, huge body.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
I've heard he is a two way centre with 3'rd line potential is this true? Also he is doing well 9 points in 9 games

Dec 2, 2010
Hard to project a guy like him. I'll tell you though he's got all the tools to be special. He's been much better this season and there's more untapped I think.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Adam is one of my favorite prospects. He works so hard on the ice and just never stops chugging. He takes the game to you, never waiting for the play to come to him. I said his game could be described by some NHL GM's favorite adjectives: heavy, hard working, smart, physical, tenacious, fast, and skilled (sometimes). Ranked 29th by FC in our October Rankings.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Had the chance to catch him the other night. Very impressed with how far his skating has come in the last calendar year. He plays such a big and heavy game. Made some nice creative touch passes on the rush and goes to the net. Has played RW primarily this year, which I hope would change.

I think as far as his projection goes, some teams will probably have him as a 1st rounder. I think he's a 2nd-3rd line tweener as far as NHL potential goes, but having his versatility and size will draw teams to take him.

I'm a big fan and he's rising on my board for sure.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Featured recently on my blog where I discussed 9 WHL forwards who combine skill with size.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2015/02/whl-offers-abundance-of-size-and-skill.html

Adam Musil – RW/C – Red Deer Rebels – 6’3 – 208

Games: 53
Goals: 11
Assists: 20
Pts/Game: 0.58
PIM: 55

Rugged and heavy are just two words you can use to describe Musil’s game. The son of former NHLer Frantisek Musil continues to show nice progression in his second WHL season. While listed as a centre, the product of Delta, BC has mostly spent time on the Rebels 3rd line as a right-winger this year, patrolling the boards and being extremely tough to play against. The big winger has really improved his skating over the past 18 months and his constantly-improving speed provides a great compliment to his strong play in the cycle game. He wins a massive amount of board battles due to being extremely strong on his stick and having a mature understanding of stick and body positioning. While his offensive production hasn’t shown a massive increase from last year (he has 31 points in 53 games after 29 in 60 last year) he has some tools including a surprisingly soft set of hands. I think Musil plays an extremely mature and pro-style game and I expect him to be a guy who comes off the board somewhere in the 45-60 range come draft day.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Comes in at #15 in the WHL on my final rankings: http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2015/05/final-whl-rankings-2015-nhl-draft.html

#15 Adam Musil

Team: Red Deer Rebels
Position: RW/C
Shoots: R
Height: 6’2.75
Weight: 202
GP: 66
Goals: 15
Assists: 24
Pts/Gm: 0.59
PIM: 71

Player Analysis: Adam Musil is a big and strong pro-style forward for Brent Sutter’s Red Deer Rebels…is listed as a centre in most places but spent the vast majority of this season as a RW in the Rebels middle 6 forward group…skating has come leaps and bounds over the last calendar year…accelerates well for someone of his size and weight…will never be a pure burner but his speed is definitely above-average for someone in a nearly 6’3 and 200+ pound frame…footwork and hips are a tad sluggish in the way he moves at times…wins a massive amount of puck battles due to good puck protection abilities through strong hands and extremely mature and smart stick and body positioning…strength along the walls leads to him being a monster on the cycle…reads the cycle well regarding his ability to exit the wall and find open ice elsewhere offensively… passes the puck in a crisp manner with good accuracy…has soft mitts for a big guy, showing the ability to handle a tough pass, even while moving with speed through neutral zone… handles the puck surprisingly well in traffic although I don’t think he’s a “pure” offensive guy or a top 6 scorer at the NHL level…shot doesn’t seem to be overly hard with his release also being passable but not outstanding…goal scoring value at the next level will probably come from the hashmarks-in rather than being a guy who scores from any type of distance…isn’t someone who goes out of his way to land the big hit but hits hard and fairly regularly…has a bit of a nasty edge to him but isn’t a heavyweight…has a very mature approach defensively, plays his position with smarts and efficiency…has a high level of hockey sense…is a puck hound defensively in the way he attacks and disrupts passing lanes in all three zones…on the powerplay he is often deployed as a net-front presence…shows a mature understanding of passing lanes offensively on the PP, leaking into the slot when a teammate needs an outlet…sees time on the penalty kill but isn’t a minute-leader in that area…spent the final 12 games of the regular season alongside Riley Sheen and Brooks Maxwell…he also spent a lot of the year alongside Evan Polei and Scott Feser on what I would consider the Rebels 3rd line…will provide an NHL team with a versatile and pro-style player…will have the ability to transition back to centre as long as his skating continues to improve as he adds more muscle mass and weight…offers teams a rather safe pick but surely doesn’t have as high of an offensive ceiling as some other players picked behind him in the draft…has immense hockey bloodlines…son of Frantisek Musil…brother of David Musil…nephew of Bobby Holik…production this year didn’t show drastic improvement from last year but I also don’t think his ice-time was far greater this year than in 2013-14…his lack of offensive production in the second half of this season was also a concern as he averaged 0.78 PPG up until December 31st and only 0.41 PPG afterwards….strictly style-wise, I think he has some simialarities to a guy like David Backes as both are big, heavy and versatile…was the 6th overall selection in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft by Red Deer…overall I feel like Musil projects as a good 3rd line forward at the NHL level with the potential to see spot duty in a top six when necessary…he really plays a heavy and hard game, which should surely be attractive to plenty of NHL scouts and GM’s…I would imagine he comes off the board in the 60-75 range of the 2015 NHL Draft but I could definitely see some teams liking him more as a top 45 or 50 guy…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad