C Adam Lowry (2011, 67th overall, Winnipeg)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He's the son of Dave Lowry, stands 6'4 and skates very very well. He showed good hands last year as a 16 year old, scoring 15 goals for the Swift Current Broncos.

He plays with an edge, just like his dad and isn't afraid to rough it up. (51 PIMS last year)

He is off to a slow start this season numbers-wise, but I had the chance to watch him on Wednesday night and was quite impressed. He is getting lots of minutes playing on the 2nd line right now with Cody Eakin and Killian Hutt.

I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up going in round 2 of this coming draft, his size and solid mobility, with toughness and hands might be too good of a combo to pass up.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2010/11/2011-nhl-draft-prospect-adam-lowry.html

NHL comparable: Dustin Penner

Last edited:

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
If the young man can grow a playoff beard ANYWHERE near as impressive and grandiose as his old mans, then he's worth AT LEAST a 2nd round investment, IMO.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Named as a nominee for the WHL's scholastic player of the year today.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
If the young man can grow a playoff beard ANYWHERE near as impressive and grandiose as his old mans, then he's worth AT LEAST a 2nd round investment, IMO.

Could take a while for that famous Lowry beard to come in...official profile pic from WHL.ca...

Lowry,%20Adam0851.JPG

As for him moving into the 2nd round, its a distinct possibility IMO. He's grown a couple inches and put on about twenty pounds in the last year or two -- was 6'2" 163 but played this season at 6'4" 186.

This is a more recent picture...

ept_sports_juniorhockey_experts-298915162-1298496116.jpg

He certainly increased his production in the second half of this season and correspondingly, raised his CSS NA ranking from 62 to 58. He also was better this season over last, having 12 multi-point games vs five last season. Personally, I think he'll go in the second round -- skates to well for a big kid to be drafted much lower than the 60th pick.

Snippet from a Q&A at Yahoo Sports:
Kelly Friesen: You've played a rugged role for the Broncos, dropping the gloves on occasion. Looking into your professional hockey career, do you see yourself as a player looked upon to drop the gloves?
Adam Lowry: "I wouldn't necessarily say I'm a fighter, but if I need to fight I'll fight. I tend to not shy away from the rough stuff and if someone challenges me I'll accept their challenge; and you know if someone feels I laid a cheap hit I'll answer the bell." (And he did exactly that -- see below)

arsmaster*

That frame is so projectable/moldable at the next level. 2-3 more years in junior and a couple in minor PRO and he could be the net front presence on a 2nd unit PP, a leading PKer and an otherwise tough player to play against.

6'4" with those wheels doesnt not grow on trees.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Absolutely one of my favorite prospects of the draft. I've seen him straight up take over games for stretches of time. A big body that skates, hits and his hands finally started to come around towards the end of the year.

I wouldn't hesitate to take this guy in the mid to late 2nd round. If he slips into the 4th (which I doubt), some team is going to have a gem on their hands.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He's on a ridiculous streak of 18 goals / 32 points in his last 18 games. What the heck is going on. :amazed:

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
His offense has exploded since he moved to center. Hes also just really good. Can't wait to see how he develops

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
There is a tonne of love for Lowry on the Jets board. If he can continue to progress, he would bring an intriguing mix of size and some skill.

Would love to hear some thoughts from people who get to see him more often.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Decent prospect, however he has very suspect stamina.

?

Not really sure what you'd base that on. I watched him last night and have several times this season; some nights they wheel him out nearly every second shift it seems, 5-on-5, pp, pk. He is a horse, throws the body with regularity, is the Bronco's team captain, and leads by example. It seems strange to question the stamina of such a hard working kid.

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
How's Lowry's hands, does he have enough skills to play 2nd line in NHL? How about his shot, is it good or are his goals more like "garbage" goals?

And one more thing.. how's his skating. Yes he is fast but does he have good acceleration and balance?

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
How's Lowry's hands, does he have enough skills to play 2nd line in NHL? How about his shot, is it good or are his goals more like "garbage" goals?

And one more thing.. how's his skating. Yes he is fast but does he have good acceleration and balance?

His hands are fairly smooth for a big kid, he can snipe and he can collect garbage as well.

Check out this recent goal scored right around the 1 minute mark...
http://whl.ca/video/index/id/1357501143

He scored both of the Broncos' goals in regulation that night (the second on a sweet little tip of a point shot) and scored the shootout winner as well, though for some reason they didn't show his goal in the shootout in that highlight package.

His skating is a work in progress but is good enough that he grabs the occasional breakaway every few games. He doesn't have that Bure second gear by any means but has pretty decent wheels given his gigantic size. No issues with balance whatsoever. He is beginning to look similar to a young Getzlaf when he plays down the middle, plays a very effective power game in my view. He is going to look great in a Jets uniform in a year or two.

Edit: I failed to answer your question; yes I believe he has second line skills. On our board some are playing it safe and are logically projecting third line based upon draft position but I believe his skills have progressed since the draft. He played all but three or four games of a shortened last season with a difficult to diagnose broken bone in his wrist (scaphoid IIRC) yet was on a point per game pace then, and has blossomed this year on return from that surgery.

Last edited:

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
His hands are fairly smooth for a big kid, he can snipe and he can collect garbage as well.

Check out this recent goal scored right around the 1 minute mark...
http://whl.ca/video/index/id/1357501143

He scored both of the Broncos' goals in regulation that night (the second on a sweet little tip of a point shot) and scored the shootout winner as well, though for some reason they didn't show his goal in the shootout in that highlight package.

His skating is a work in progress but is good enough that he grabs the occasional breakaway every few games. He doesn't have that Bure second gear by any means but has pretty decent wheels given his gigantic size. No issues with balance whatsoever. He is beginning to look similar to a young Getzlaf when he plays down the middle, plays a very effective power game in my view. He is going to look great in a Jets uniform in a year or two.

Edit: I failed to answer your question; yes I believe he has second line skills. On our board some are playing it safe and are logically projecting third line based upon draft position but I believe his skills have progressed since the draft. He played all but three or four games of a shortened last season with a difficult to diagnose broken bone in his wrist (scaphoid IIRC) yet was on a point per game pace then, and has blossomed this year on return from that surgery.

Thanks for the info. Lets hope that Lowry really become something like Getzlaf, tho i dont wanna see that Getzlaf-like mental side. :p:

Btw, he plays now as a center. How he is doing in FO-circle?

Last edited:

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Thanks for the info. Lets hope that Lowry really become something like Getzlaf, tho i dont wanna see that Getzlaf-like mental side. :p:

Btw, he plays now as a center. How he is doing in FO-circle?

That he plays center now is what I referenced when I previously mentioned his playing down the middle. His faceoff work seems to be improving by the night as well, he wins quite a few cleanly and loses a few as well; I can't hazard a guess to his season percentages as such but they may indeed be fairly good considering that they still use him in that spot. He seems to really be blossoming in that center spot though and definitely uses the additional available ice surface to his advantage.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
He's on a ridiculous streak of 18 goals / 32 points in his last 18 games. What the heck is going on. :amazed:

He's also not far removed from 20. Just saying. hehe

But good to see another Jets prospect doing well. Even if he is 20. ;)

Waits for someone to make a big deal out of the fact I mentioned he is almost 20... oops. I just did it again. Would be interesting to see what he does at the pro level.

arsmaster*

Waits for someone to make a big deal out of the fact I mentioned he is almost 20... oops. I just did it again. Would be interesting to see what he does at the pro level.
Look what Getzlaf did two seasons removed from his draft in the WHL.

I hate it when people make a point to mention his age.

He's done nothing but develop since his draft. Who cares how old he is.

You got what you wanted with your post.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

He is playing in what is considered his 19 y/o season and after missing 1/2 of the previous season; he isn't an over-age player like to you trying to infer. Not sure what point you are trying to make; Adam Lowry has grown into his once gangly body and is now a beast of a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad