C Adam Brooks - Regina Pats, WHL (2016, 92nd, TOR)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Hes small and I find when I go to Pats games at least he'll make a few good plays but usually nothing to crazy but then at the end of the game realize he had a goal and 2 assists or something like that. That could partly be because of his team because they arent super skilled or exciting but he's doing what he should be as a 19 year old. Only PPG player on his team and 35 points ahead of Steel who is 2nd and is also +10 higher then anyone else.
I'm sure he'll get a look this year but at his size you kind of wonder if he has that thing that sets him apart and lets him succeed at higher levels. At the same time i cheer for a team that ices Calvert and Atkinson so I know sometimes those guys just figure it out so I wouldnt be upset to see him as a late pick.

Edit: and he just so happens to rack up 6 points on the day this thread is made :laugh:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Have mentioned him previously here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1782195&highlight=adam+brooks

And here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1901797&highlight=adam+brooks

Team: Regina Pats
Position: C
Shoots: L
Height: 5’9.75
Weight: 169
GP: 64
Goals: 30
Assists: 32
Pts/Gm: 0.97
PIM: 18

Player Analysis: Adam Brooks is a smart offensive forward for the Regina Pats…he is in his 2nd year of draft eligibility after being passed over in 2014…is a fairly strong skater for this level…decent speed, decent quickness, decent fundamentals to his stride…is an above-average puckhandler…handles the puck well, protects the puck well and possesses very good vision…is a creative distributor of the puck…seems to understand offensive pacing and timing and makes things happen offensively despite not being particularly strong or fast…not afraid to go to the net and excels at finding open space from the hashmarks-down…owns a good shot with his release being above-average…shot isn’t particularly hard but it is accurate…tends to have the odd miscue defensively but overall he seems like a fairly competent two-way player…does the necessary work needed on the defensive side of the puck…isn’t afraid to work in all zones, including down below his own goal line…not a physical player but doesn’t necessarily play scared or timid either…was regularly featured as a centre within their top two lines while also seeing time on both the powerplay and penalty kill…was named as the Pats Most Sportsmanlike Player this season…was a 2nd round selection, 25th overall, by the Pats at the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft…overall I see Brooks as a player unlikely to get drafted this year, despite having a solid season which featured nice growth in a variety of areas…I see him as a guy who is continuing to grow and is building off a solid base which includes good hockey sense and offensive skill…his top-end potential would be far more attractive if he was taller, faster and stronger…ultimately I see him as a candidate to be invited to an NHL camp or two over the next couple of years and eventually have the chance to carve out a pro career if he chooses that route…he definitely has the talent to be an 80+ point WHL forward as early as next season…

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hes small and I find when I go to Pats games at least he'll make a few good plays but usually nothing to crazy but then at the end of the game realize he had a goal and 2 assists or something like that. That could partly be because of his team because they arent super skilled or exciting but he's doing what he should be as a 19 year old. Only PPG player on his team and 35 points ahead of Steel who is 2nd and is also +10 higher then anyone else.
I'm sure he'll get a look this year but at his size you kind of wonder if he has that thing that sets him apart and lets him succeed at higher levels. At the same time i cheer for a team that ices Calvert and Atkinson so I know sometimes those guys just figure it out so I wouldnt be upset to see him as a late pick.

Edit: and he just so happens to rack up 6 points on the day this thread is made :laugh:

Is he that small? Elite has him listed at 5'11 like 190 or something. I've never seen him live that I remember so I never noticed him being overly small

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Is he that small? Elite has him listed at 5'11 like 190 or something. I've never seen him live that I remember so I never noticed him being overly small

hes definitely not 190. Everywhere i look has him at 176

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Gotta think someone takes a flyer on this guy this year with a late pick. Haven't watched him but statistically he keeps getting better and better.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
35 points in his last 15 games and 90 in his last 48.

You'd think he'd surely get drafted in the last couple rounds but I thought the same about Tim McGauley after he went on a similar run last year and he was passed over again.

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
Will be interesting to see where he plays next season. While his skating has come a good ways since two years ago, he could still get stronger on his skates before making a jump to pro. In saying that he's smart and skilled enough to make the jump. Wouldn't be surprised if a team drafted him, signed him and put him in the AHL for his 20 year old season.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
21 points in 9 playoff games, leading all WHL scorers by 5 points. He abused Lethbridge and now RD doesn't seem to have an answer for him. With a playoff performance like this and winning the WHL scoring race, he's certainly put himself on the draft radar.

Where do people see him going?

Mad Brills*

His age makes me pause. If he was 19, I'd draft him, but he's a d+ 2 overager

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
He's a great player at the CHL level for sure. I say that with no disrespect to being the scoring champion. I can't find anything near elite level skills though, he simply does everything pretty well. The only place I notice him immediately is when transitioning through the neutral zone. He gains speed quickly and is very smart with the puck.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Very interesting pick here by the leafs. Outproduced his team by 50 points. Very unusual to see a margin this large in point production even for an overage player. After watching highlights, he seems to be a very cerebral player that moves the puck quickly with most of the play flowing through him.

I didn't notice any electric qualities, just very smart all around

Anyone have a more post season in depth analysis? Is his skating good enough for the NHL level?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Very interesting pick here by the leafs. Outproduced his team by 50 points. Very unusual to see a margin this large in point production even for an overage player. After watching highlights, he seems to be a very cerebral player that moves the puck quickly with most of the play flowing through him.

I didn't notice any electric qualities, just very smart all around

Anyone have a more post season in depth analysis? Is his skating good enough for the NHL level?

http://prospect-stats.com/blog/Overage_Prospects.html

This article made him my favourite pick outside of Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad