C Adam Beckman (2019, 75th, MIN)

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Am I correct that he can play in the AHL playoffs this spring, and still go back to junior next season?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, on an ATO. Don't know if it's the right thing for him, though. There are a lot of guys like Lodnia, Shaw, Dewar, Khovanov, and Sokolov who need TOI ahead of him, IMO. Maybe just park him on the bench so he can have a looksee ahead to the next step?

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
5 points ahead of 2nd place guy, still leading in goals and PPG(.01 ahead of Cozens). I take back what I said earlier about him having a good shot, but nothing special. After watching him...this guy can really sling it. No hesitation, and has an uncanny ability to find corners through traffic, and while moving laterally. Also vg at the one timer.

No idea if his play can translate to higher levels(as with any propsect), but if he can fill out his 6'1" frame then I don't see why not.

He and Khovanov were great 3rd round picks by MN.
I’ll tell you right now that the kid’s trajectory is pointed straight up and that he will only get better as he adds strength. The kid was incredibly thin for years and only now is adding the mass that will allow him to compete in ways he wasn’t able to before. I have been more impressed with him than Cozens this year.

As you say, terrific drafting by the Wild

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
His skating looks pretty good, to me. Not brilliant, or super fast, but seems to get where he needs to go....seems reasonably agile. If he packs on some lbs. and trains hard he should be able to add some explosiveness.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Any chance he can play center in the NHL? Apparently he moved from C to LW just last year and has said he wouldn't mind moving back to center.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Any chance he can play center in the NHL? Apparently he moved from C to LW just last year and has said he wouldn't mind moving back to center.

If he adds mass and works on his skating I don’t necessarily see why he couldn’t. He’s certainly smart enough.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not a bad thing to try since we probably have to leave him in the WHL for another year anyways.

He isn’t AHL eligible, so it’s either NHL, CHL or Europe. Would love to see him tried as a center next season.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Am I correct that he can play in the AHL playoffs this spring, and still go back to junior next season?

Yep, but I think 2 things,

1), it'll depend on where they finish the WHL playoffs. They start like 2 weeks before the AHL's, if they end up playing Everett where it looks like they will since the US division is pretty much locked in lol, they are done in 4 or 5, Everrett has had Spokane's number all year; Spokane can't solve that defensive system. So it'll likely be a quick series unless Beckman and co. can actually score. They were shutout a few times this year by Everett.

2) It's unwise to put this kid into the fray of AHL playoff hockey. It's a much more physical jump, even more than just the regular AHL, and this kids body will already be tired. It would be unwise.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Seriously, 82 points in 49 games as an 18 year old? Don't care what your standards are, but for the WHL?

There are guys who will be drafted in June barely younger than him. Lafreniere is 5 months younger, Byfield 4.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Only a couple of months younger than a guy like Zary who is eligible this year, and he’s out producing him pretty badly. If he was a prospect for a big-market team he’d be talked about in the same light as a guy like Nick Robertson. Beckman should be a top guy for Canada at the WJC next year, and I think that’s where his stock will take off, similarly to Khovanov this year.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Seriously, 82 points in 49 games as an 18 year old? Don't care what your standards are, but for the WHL?

There are guys who will be drafted in June barely younger than him. Lafreniere is 5 months younger, Byfield 4.
Others have had better D+1s (see: Steel, Sam) but mostly as a result of playing on some fearsome offense-focused teams with excellent older players. Beckman’s season has been incredibly impressive.

You might want to double check those numbers on Lafreniere and Byfield, but the general point you’re making stands.

Reactions: Sensators

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Others have had better D+1s (see: Steel, Sam) but mostly as a result of playing on some fearsome offense-focused teams with excellent older players. Beckman’s season has been incredibly impressive.

You might want to double check those numbers on Lafreniere and Byfield, but the general point you’re making stands.
Agreed, but this level of production is rare in a D1 from a player not picked in the first two rounds.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Can this guy please get a hard look in the preseason next year? What good does it do to let him play in a league he’s already too good for for another year?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Can this guy please get a hard look in the preseason next year? What good does it do to let him play in a league he’s already too good for for another year?

I hope they play him at center next year since he'll be forced to be there.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Playing a young man who is still growing into his body amongst a bunch of NHL'ers is akin to throwing a puppy in to swim in a pool of alligators. Beckman, by all reports, is no man child like Mackinnon....or Kappo Kakko. :(

Sticking him into the NHL next fall would be ill advised.

Reactions: greasysnapper

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

He's not too good for the league. As much as he's scoring he's not dominating play. He can get much better. There's lots of room for improvement. Trying to push players into the pros is not a great idea. I spoke about it quite a bunch with Dach, who was more of a dominant player in the dub than Beckman last year, and I still think Dach should have been in the WHL for this season.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
He's not too good for the league. As much as he's scoring he's not dominating play. He can get much better. There's lots of room for improvement. Trying to push players into the pros is not a great idea. I spoke about it quite a bunch with Dach, who was more of a dominant player in the dub than Beckman last year, and I still think Dach should have been in the WHL for this season.
How was Dach more dominant in the dub last year than Beckman is this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad