Confirmed with Link: Byron up, street down

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I didn't see this written anywhere but feaster announced this morning. I don't have a link because I'm on my phone but it is true.

Thoughts?? I'm a bit surprised its not horak myself.

Byron struggled to start the year but has been great the last month and a half I think this is rewarding him for that.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Hartley said he wanted to bring Byron's speed to the team which might be why he got the call over Horak. Another thing worth noting is that Sven Baertschi is praticing with the team (wearing a yellow caution jersey). Not sure what the time table is for him but I think we'll be seeing him before we see Kiprusoff

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
If Cammy and Sven are coming back soon, I can definitely understand bringing Byron up before Horak. Byron is a bottom six kind of guy, and I think would be better suited in that sort of role than Horak. If we're going to call up Horak, I want him to be able to play with our more skilled guys than guys like Jackman, Begin, or Comeau.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I thought Street actually looked really good last night. Showed some skill and made a couple strong plays to the net. I'll be keeping an eye out for him in the future.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I thought Street actually looked really good last night. Showed some skill and made a couple strong plays to the net. I'll be keeping an eye out for him in the future.

Yup. I've never seen Byron as effective as Street was last night (not that he was a gamebreaker; just that he looked like he'd be an effective player given more than two games to settle in). Byron is fast and he's feisty, but he is not very useful in terms of actually winning at hockey.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yup. I've never seen Byron as effective as Street was last night (not that he was a gamebreaker; just that he looked like he'd be an effective player given more than two games to settle in). Byron is fast and he's feisty, but he is not very useful in terms of actually winning at hockey.

Byron has never played under Hartley and unlike Street has some real speed he could be extremely dangerous playing against a team that is playing on the second half of a back and back.

Trae

Calgary
Would have preferred Reinhart or Horak, but I suppose this gives us a better opportunity to see what Byron can do.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Would have preferred Reinhart or Horak, but I suppose this gives us a better opportunity to see what Byron can do.

I would leave Reinhart in the AHL. It's his first full season at that level, and I don't think a trip to the NHL would help him. He ain't no Sven Bärtschi.

iPwn

Jun 4, 2009
What line is Byron expected to play on? Is he replacing Backlund on the 2nd?

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
He may have speed but they need some grit. Sarich is the only guy who makes the other team keep their head up and he only dresses every third game. I think they should bring someone up who will throw their weight around a bit. (I know Jackman and Begin can hit but they just play 6 minutes a night.)

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He may have speed but they need some grit. Sarich is the only guy who makes the other team keep their head up and he only dresses every third game. I think they should bring someone up who will throw their weight around a bit. (I know Jackman and Begin can hit but they just play 6 minutes a night.)

The heat don't have that type of player. No one down there is both gritty enough, and skilled enough to play more than six minutes a night at the NHL level either.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The heat don't have that type of player. No one down there is both gritty enough, and skilled enough to play more than six minutes a night at the NHL level either.

I disagree unless we are talking about only forwards as Breen is the ready to be a #6 defensemen and he is skilled and physical enough for it.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I disagree unless we are talking about only forwards as Breen is the ready to be a #6 defensemen and he is skilled and physical enough for it.

Yes, I was only talking about forwards since we already have to many defensemen up on the big team as is.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Disagree he is a perfect tough guy.

He is not really a tough guy though. He has only fought twice this year in Abbotsford, and has shown time and time again that he can't produce offensively at the AHL level. The biggest concern I have is the inconsistent work ethic he has. One night he looks dominant, and then the next five games he looks completely invisible. That is not a trait you want your bottom six players to have in my opinion.

If anything he is a pest that has an extremely short temper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad