Byram vs Dahlin

Who would you take going forward?

• Total voters

hockeydog23

Aug 21, 2020
no its still laughable especially when a guy like Lafrenierre is struggling makes your assumption and the OPs look so far fetched that its laughable and several other no.1 picks since have been considerably worse at this point of their careers......look at Ekblad alone as the only other D-man going no.1(who also got to start at 18) and what he did by 21 and your argument that he's even close to what you say he is so incredibly bad you might as well be trying to convice people the sky is purple. I suggest you go back and look through all the no.1s since Yakupov before trying to make such an outlandish claim.
I literally started this conversation by doing that. Good lord. Lafrenierre is in his second year, way to early to call him a bust. Dahlin is in his fourth. Ekblad is clearly not a bust, so why are we discussing him in this context?

hockeydog23

Aug 21, 2020
Ekblad was great in his 4th season. He scored 16 goals and was really solid defensively. Dahlin is nowhere near that level at the moment, despite being a much more highly touted prospect.
Also, Ekblad is clearly not a bust. So there's no point in considering him in defending the notion that Dahlin is the biggest bust since Yakupov. Not even worth a mention.

TheHelmet

Feb 10, 2021
Pat Laftonaines Trophy Room
My organization has handled Dahlin so dang bad

He's not impacting the game that we wish he should be at this stage
Byram has some solid underlying numbers and is doing really well in his role
My boy Rasmus isnt as bad as some make him out to be in here, Im hoping for a bigger impact on the game going forward.
he isnt even performing as the defenseman in his draft right now

Reactions: hockeydog23

hockeydog23

Aug 21, 2020
lmao no he's not. This take is so far-removed from reality.
Agree to disagree. Seems like he's righted the ship since the march article in the link below, but there has been legitimate concern about him. He was supposed to be a generational defenseman, he's earned more questions than accolades at this point. To me, given his lofty expectations, he's failing to come anywhere close to meeting expectations and is in danger of being a journeyman. May not happen, but stardom sure doesn't seem like a sure bet either. If he's not at least a star, then I'd say he failed to find his way in the league. If you guys can't acknowledge that he's fallen behind his peers in the eyes of those outside of Buffalo, I don't know what else to say.

Have the Sabres officially “ruined” Rasmus Dahlin

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
I even picked the guy pretty early in my fantasy league

No offense, but nobody gives a damn about your fantasy league. Some free advice; take him in a year or two when he has some backup to help him out. At least you finally admit the real reason behind your postings all over these forums. Must be a good way to blow off steam.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
No offense, but nobody gives a damn about your fantasy league. Some free advice; take him in a year or two when he has some backup to help him out. At least you finally admit the real reason behind your postings all over these forums. Must be a good way to blow off steam.

I've had a vast interest in Dahlin prior to October 2nd when I picked his slow skating ass. Who knows, maybe I'm a Sabres fan..

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
And had 38 points in 82 games wasn't even the most used defenseman on his own team and actually had a respectable team around him.....They had 4 forwards on that team that would easily be the Sabres best forward on the team now withe Reinhart and Eichel gone or am I wrong? Our sub .900 goalies only make the situation worse and the team as a whole played a whole lot better when they had a calm Anderson in net early when they weren't worried that every mistake would end up in a goal.

If I say that it's pretty comparable to last year's Sabres with Eichel (albeit injured a big chunk of the season), Hall, Reinhart, Olofsson, with a .917 goalie, while not being the most used defenseman you're gonna excuse it with Krueger, right?

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
If I say that it's pretty comparable to last year's Sabres with Eichel (albeit injured a big chunk of the season), Hall, Reinhart, Olofsson, with a .917 goalie, while not being the most used defenseman you're gonna excuse it with Krueger, right?
Last year was Dahlin's 3rd year while Ekblad's 3rd year was horrendous compared to his others....you wanna go there?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah the Sabres only took Eichel and Reinhart off the team and now the leading scorer is Okposo how could his offensive production not improve significantly under these great circumstances.:popcorn: Those 2 were far and away their best offensive weapons for several years now way ahead of the rest of the pack on the team and the trades they made have not helped the NHL squad at all yet.
Everyone understands the circumstances on that team aren't great. But Dahlin hasn't so far been part of the solution as much as hoped. And in the absence of better offensive numbers, if he was playing great defense he'd not be questioned as much.

Reactions: tucker3434

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Last year was Dahlin's 3rd year while Ekblad's 3rd year was horrendous compared to his others....you wanna go there?

You're assuming development is linear. There's a reason Dahlin was hailed as the second coming. His third year should absolutely be comparable to Ekblad's fourth. Also remember that Ekblad suffered his fourth concussion in 14 months during his third season. That hurts anyone's game.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
You're assuming development is linear. There's a reason Dahlin was hailed as the second coming. His third year should absolutely be comparable to Ekblad's fourth. Also remember that Ekblad suffered his fourth concussion in 14 months during his third season. That hurts anyone's game.
maybe the second coming of Lidstrom Not Orr as far as most comparisons were done except someone doesn't have the luxury of playing on a stacked team to start their career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad