Injury Report: Byfuglien done for the season

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Dustin-Byfuglien-at-2013-Training-Camp-300x200.jpg

With just three games remaining Jets are putting the big man on the shelf for rest of the season with a muscle tear.

Will have audio from coach Maurice on site soon.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
why on earth would you want to trade him after seeing what he can do as a forward. guy is a beast up front.

Byfuglien is my favourite player and I REALLY don't want to see him traded.

That being said I can see why people advocate for him to be traded. His beastliness would have his price set at a high and we could acquire players that can slot into the holes in our lineup better than Byfuglien.

This is all in theory of course. I really doubt that perfect trade is actually out there.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
There are a few factors to face when deciding whether to trade Buff or not:
A) At what age would his body start to break down? Bigger hockey players typically wear out faster than smaller guys, and no one other than Zdeno Chara is bigger than he is.
B) Can you re-sign him? There are rumblings that Buff would prefer a quieter hockey market, and while the media and the city have been respectful of this, we all know of Buff's reticence in talking to people. We have Buff under contract for 2 more seasons. That adds a lot of value to his trade, and it would make the most sense to trade him this summer.

Yeah I'm sure a professional hockey player is out with some lactic acid :shakehead

I said that in a comparison, as in muscle tears aren't that serious.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
No it was with boomer and Patrick Williams. They even talked about him missing one game in 5 seasons a few weeks ago for his wife giving birth.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Lol, I think it's funny when it's termed "out for the season" when there is only 3 games left, I dunno maybe it's just me, anyways thank you Mr. Ladd and Mr. Buff for your contributions this season and this could improve our draft position in a legit way, so cest la vie

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
It's a muscle tear. He didn't tear off his arm. You tear your muscle fibers when you lift weights.

Microtear from lifting weights to muscle torn off the tendon sheath and bone. There is quite a range.

In my football playing days, I missed almost an entire season with a torn calf muscle that needed surgical repair after re-occuring over 2 seasons, and missed one week from a knee scope for a tear in my meniscus. I'm guessing most people would think torn knee cartilage is more severe than muscle tear, but a muscle tear can be a very serious injury.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Word is Ladd is out for the game tonight, day-to-day otherwise.

No it was with boomer and Patrick Williams. They even talked about him missing one game in 5 seasons a few weeks ago for his wife giving birth.

hmmmm thanks boys that seemed to come out of nowhere. I wonder if he has been playing hurt for a while?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
There are a few factors to face when deciding whether to trade Buff or not:
A) At what age would his body start to break down? Bigger hockey players typically wear out faster than smaller guys, and no one other than Zdeno Chara is bigger than he is.
B) Can you re-sign him? There are rumblings that Buff would prefer a quieter hockey market, and while the media and the city have been respectful of this, we all know of Buff's reticence in talking to people. We have Buff under contract for 2 more seasons. That adds a lot of value to his trade, and it would make the most sense to trade him this summer.

Trade while his value is high could be added to the list.

I love Buff too, really enjoy watching him play. But there's far too much sell low, buy high going on in trade talk. Remember Lawless' article about Buff weighing in at 300 lbs at the end of last season? Remember the conversations/thread on HFBoards regarding Buff? You couldn't move the guy for a quarter, never mind an actual physical human body that plays hockey.

So now we have Buff playing reasonably well as a D man through the year, an absolute asset on the Power Play and in OT as a point man. Couple that with a really quite nice run as a forward where he played well and functioned even better when one of our D men pinched in and he flawlessly moved back to the point. All of a sudden you're seeing the Buff that Chicago had in their cup run. THAT is the right time to move him. Very unique asset playing at a high level. That equals a very good return.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Byfuglien is my favourite player and I REALLY don't want to see him traded.

That being said I can see why people advocate for him to be traded. His beastliness would have his price set at a high and we could acquire players that can slot into the holes in our lineup better than Byfuglien.

This is all in theory of course. I really doubt that perfect trade is actually out there.

x2!

Keep him at forward, get a new (even average) goalie, round out the bottom 6, hope Maurice stays, and that should be a pretty decent hockey club next season.

One thing is when u trade someone who can bring something to your team, also needs to be considered 1) what will be replacing that player and 2) are we better off without the player. Buff is very physical and makes some awesome, awesome hits. Grass is greener on the other side.

As speech said I do get why it makes sense to trade him tho.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Trade while his value is high could be added to the list.

I love Buff too, really enjoy watching him play. But there's far too much sell low, buy high going on in trade talk. Remember Lawless' article about Buff weighing in at 300 lbs at the end of last season? Remember the conversations/thread on HFBoards regarding Buff? You couldn't move the guy for a quarter, never mind an actual physical human body that plays hockey.

So now we have Buff playing reasonably well as a D man through the year, an absolute asset on the Power Play and in OT as a point man. Couple that with a really quite nice run as a forward where he played well and functioned even better when one of our D men pinched in and he flawlessly moved back to the point. All of a sudden you're seeing the Buff that Chicago had in their cup run. THAT is the right time to move him. Very unique asset playing at a high level. That equals a very good return.

Trading Buff this off season would likely be trading at his high point barring some sort of monster year next season. 2 years left at $5.2 M would be an attractive contract to a lot of teams, especially for those teams that expect to sign their FA's if they plan on keeping them. Good cap hit for what you get and not too long of term if it doesn't work out. The return would be good, but not as high as some would hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad