Byfuglien and the salary cap

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
A couple weeks back there was speculation that there was a mutual contract termination coming and the pundants were saying, this is great for Winnipeg cause now they have cap room to use to acquire another player.

I'm confused by this. Since Byfuglien was suspended by the team was his salary not counting against the cap regardless? Do they not have that cap space irrespective of a contract termination? I always take what the talking heads have to say in regards to the CBA with a grain of salt since they're often wrong. Can anyone with better understanding of the nuances chime in?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
A couple weeks back there was speculation that there was a mutual contract termination coming and the pundants were saying, this is great for Winnipeg cause now they have cap room to use to acquire another player.

I'm confused by this. Since Byfuglien was suspended by the team was his salary not counting against the cap regardless? Do they not have that cap space irrespective of a contract termination? I always take what the talking heads have to say in regards to the CBA with a grain of salt since they're often wrong. Can anyone with better understanding of the nuances chime in?

The NHLPA had challenged Buff's suspension, saying it was a hockey injury and he should be getting paid. That matter was supposed to go to arbitration. If it went to arbitration and the Jets lost they would have been on the hook for Buff's salary, retroactive to the start of the year.

It was more a question of removing the uncertainty.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Currently suspended, and not counting against cap, AIUI.

HOWEVER, they have to allow for his cap space if he returns.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

If a player is suspended without pay then there is no cap hit to the team.

This shouldn’t be confused with on-ice disciplinary suspensions. In those situations the player forfeits salary, but the money is still paid out by the team and goes into a fund administered by the PA/NHL to help out former players and families in financial need. There is no cap relief.

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
The Byfuglien situation totally killed the Jets this year. That $7.5 million dollars could have been used to retain Tanev, Chiarot and perhaps even Myers. Totally unfair to the rest of the team. And then their injuries like Little etc. That money could have been used to try get replacement players at more than league minimum. Really really bad luck all around. Hopefully they can get things straightened out for 20/21.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
the problem is that the jets didn't know if byfuglien was going to return this season or not, so they couldn't spend his cap hit to improve the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad