The Athletic - Boston By the numbers: Offseason grades for all 31 NHL teams

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Good post

While I can`t disagree that the addition of Tavares makes the Leafs stronger, it makes them stronger in one area IMO, that`s offensively.

Unless that team see`s a drastic turnaround on D, they will continue to lean heavily on Andersen. The benefit for them is they may very well just outscore teams 7-6

I`m totally uncertain about the B`s. I feel that way simply because I haven`t seen much of Wagner that I recall, know little about Nordstrom other than he won`t produce much offensively and Moore I have only watched a handful of times when the B`s played the Devs and the few playoff games I watched him play this past year vs the Bolts where I didn`t notice him a ton.

Either way, Nash (Riley) gone might be a tough one to replace but he got paid way too much, I`ll argue he`ll return immediately to the norm of sitting somewhere between 20 and 30 pts but his value wasn`t just that he produced some offense.

We shall see what happens. I think the Wagner signing will be fun to watch, seems like a player Bruin fans will love as far as physicality, hustle etc...DS said he wanted to add some size on the Left side of the back end, he did that but I think some here took his comments a touch out of context(not directed at you), I don`t think he was referring to that player being a guy who`ll lay out opponents consistently but more so a player who has the size to absorb the physical play of opponents a bit easier and it sounds like Moore can do that.

So much of the B`s success IMO will be reliant on how the 2nd year players play. Will we see Heinen and Jake play with a bit more consistency? I know all loved Jake and his game at playoff time (as I did too) but some seem to forget that Jake wasn`t exactly consistent either during the regular season. While he didn`t slump offensively as Heinen did for a long stretch at one point, he too was a healthy scratch at least on one occasion and I did find often he was completely invisible for games at a time.

Please don`t hammer me for that, I love the kid, love both he and Heinen and both seem to be the kinds of kids who push themselves to learn and get better so I suspect that will continue but those two, McAvoy, can Grizz continue his strong play from last season and concerns about the 3rd line would be my question marks once the season begins

I’m not going to hammer you, but I’m going to tell you that you are factually incorrect. Last week I posted the point breakdown for both Heinen and DeBrusk in 20 game increments and Heinen was not nearly as inconsistent as people make him out to be while DeBrusk was actually the epitome of consistency during the regular season.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I’m not going to hammer you, but I’m going to tell you that you are factually incorrect. Last week I posted the point breakdown for both Heinen and DeBrusk in 20 game increments and Heinen was not nearly as inconsistent as people make him out to be while DeBrusk was actually the epitome of consistency during the regular season.

I`ve been wrong before, I felt there were many stretches where I just didn`t notice Jake out there at all which isn`t necessarily a knock, he`s a kid who`ll have stretches like this. I love em` both let me be clear and am super excited and looking forward to watching them both and others this coming year

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I just re-watched Game 2 against Tampa. What a screw job that was. The last 10 minutes was incredible. Some decent calls and it could very well have been 2-0

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Was looking at the main board and saw a poster from the Devils mention that their team needs 2 top four defensemen especially one of the left side...pretty discouraging news. I’m actually kind of confused by it.

It’s making me believe that they clearly did not see John Moore as a capable top 4 defender and felt more comfortable letting him walk than using his services in a position they surely need.

On top of that 5 years just seems so long if he really is a number 5-6 defender. Jury is completely out and I’m rooting for him but never like hearing something like this.

Would prefer hearing they have some prospect knocking on the door or something for letting him go. Oh well.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I`ve been wrong before, I felt there were many stretches where I just didn`t notice Jake out there at all which isn`t necessarily a knock, he`s a kid who`ll have stretches like this. I love em` both let me be clear and am super excited and looking forward to watching them both and others this coming year

Andrew, everybody sees different things from players on the ice. I’m telling you that no matter what you think you saw, DeBrusk was extremely consistent. For a rookie, that’s even more impressive than for a more experienced player.

Here are DeBrusk’s stats broken down into 20 game increments:

1st 20 games: 5g/7a
2nd 20 games: 5g/7a
3rd 20 games: 4g/7a
Last 10 games: 2g/6a

It doesn’t get much more consistent than that.

He needs to bump that production up a bit this year. If he (and Heinen) can get to 14-15 pts per 20 games, that would be a great step.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Andrew, everybody sees different things from players on the ice. I’m telling you that no matter what you think you saw, DeBrusk was extremely consistent. For a rookie, that’s even more impressive than for a more experienced player.

Here are DeBrusk’s stats broken down into 20 game increments:

1st 20 games: 5g/7a
2nd 20 games: 5g/7a
3rd 20 games: 4g/7a
Last 10 games: 2g/6a

It doesn’t get much more consistent than that.

He needs to bump that production up a bit this year. If he (and Heinen) can get to 14-15 pts per 20 games, that would be a great step.

I appreciate the breakdown. As you mentioned, we see different things for sure but when I`m wrong, I`m wrong so I guess I`ll concede this point:thumbd::laugh:. I also know that having the luxury of sitting in the stands as opposed to filling my pie hole from my couch watching the tube are two entirely different perspectives for sure so maybe I was missing things.

Again, please don`t get me wrong, I absolutely love this kid and my man crush on Heinen is pretty loud but I also see him (Heinen) needing to work on being consistent. Either way, can`t wait to watch these two players continue to grow and develop, toss in the Donato`s, Bjork`s and others.....man o man, so encouraging to have an organization with some youth that we can get pumped about

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Articles like this come down to most media and other team's fans undervaluing Bruins prospects. The prevailing public opinion for years is that the Bruins have drafted poorly and this is reflected in both individual and team prospect rankings.
As an example, you can look at Pronman's prospect lists over the past couple of years. He had McAvoy at 45 but then McAvoy owned his post draft WJC propelling Team USA to victory and the next ranking from Pronman finally bumped him up to #4.
Before last year, Pronman's top 120 prospects had McAvoy (as mentioned), Vaakanainen at #75, and DeBrusk at #88. That's it. No Heinen, Bjork, Donato, or anyone else from the Bruins. His goalie list has 24 goalies but no Subban who has become an excellent backup for Vegas.

This is how most media view the Bruins prospects so when they say they are doing a youth movement and have 6-7 rookies in their lineup last year, no one expected anything from them but they had a 112 point season and beat the more heralded Maple Leaf's youth movement team. This year, the Bruins expect the former rookies to have better seasons while introducing one or two more rookies (and full seasons from Bjork/Grzelcyk) but most still undervalue the Bruins because of this drafting narrative.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Articles like this come down to most media and other team's fans undervaluing Bruins prospects. The prevailing public opinion for years is that the Bruins have drafted poorly and this is reflected in both individual and team prospect rankings.
As an example, you can look at Pronman's prospect lists over the past couple of years. He had McAvoy at 45 but then McAvoy owned his post draft WJC propelling Team USA to victory and the next ranking from Pronman finally bumped him up to #4.
Before last year, Pronman's top 120 prospects had McAvoy (as mentioned), Vaakanainen at #75, and DeBrusk at #88. That's it. No Heinen, Bjork, Donato, or anyone else from the Bruins. His goalie list has 24 goalies but no Subban who has become an excellent backup for Vegas.

This is how most media view the Bruins prospects so when they say they are doing a youth movement and have 6-7 rookies in their lineup last year, no one expected anything from them but they had a 112 point season and beat the more heralded Maple Leaf's youth movement team. This year, the Bruins expect the former rookies to have better seasons while introducing one or two more rookies (and full seasons from Bjork/Grzelcyk) but most still undervalue the Bruins because of this drafting narrative.
For whatever reason the Bruins seem to fly under the radar of a lot of writers, especially local ones. I’m guessing some bad memories and half hearted research has a lot to do with it.

I’ve heard guys who work more nationally like McGuire and Ferarro both talk about what Boston has as far as youth now and coming soon. They were excited by it.

I’ll take the opinions of the guys who work the whole league more seriously than the guys who’s cable subscription consists of only Leafs TV.

Reactions: Blowfish

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
While I agree with this assessment, I do believe Sweeney will make a major move before the team heads to China. That said, I think third in the Atlantic is the most likely slot and then play either Tampa or Toronto in Round One.

By the numbers: Offseason grades for all 31 NHL teams

Boston Bruins: D

In: John Moore, Jaroslav Halak, Chris Wagner
Out: Riley Nash, Rick Nash, Nick Holden, Austin Czarnik, Anton Khudobin, Tommy Wingels, Tim Schaller

Net Value Added: -2.8 wins

The Bruins lost a lot of talented depth pieces this offseason though it was difficult to see them bringing any of them back. Riley Nash is perhaps the biggest loss as he was a key cog in the bottom six last season. It also hurts to see the other Nash go as the Bruins paid a very steep price to acquire him last season and he didn’t really pan out. Austin Czarnik looks like a diamond in the rough, too.

None of this will hurt the Bruins all that much as Boston has internal replacements ready to fill the void, but the team also didn’t do enough to get better going into 2018-19. The Bruins barely beat a Toronto team that landed John Tavares. Tampa Bay embarrassed Boston last season and is sniffing around Erik Karlsson. Even Florida looks like a team on the rise after acquiring Mike Hoffman. Boston? Well, it signed a bottom four defender to an inexplicable five-year deal, so that’s something.

The Atlantic will be a dog fight next season and while the Bruins will be in the thick of it, it’s a bit more difficult to see them at the top after a disappointing offseason.

Screen-Shot-2018-07-19-at-11.30.25-AM.png
This is why if Montreal played Toronto I’m hoping for Canadiens sweep

These writers more times then not are Leafs bloggers and hard core fans

I apologize to Fire Sweeney. It was a cheap shot on my part and I accept victory humbly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad