Speculation: Buyout candidates

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
gotta think alzner is bought out
A buyout according to cap friendly is $7.5mm over four years with $4m, $2m, and $.833m for two years. If they bury him it’s is $3.6m for two years Due to the ability to take the $1m off when he is sent to the aha. Pretty clear why they don’t buy him out. They are better off letting the cap run for two years

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'd like to see Nielsen bought out, but I doubt it happens.

Only $666K on the third and fourth year. It's not happening though, unless Yzerman wants to add a shit ton of cap dumps and needs the $2M.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think he’s worth buying out.

I think he’s capable of playing bottom pair minutes and do the PK. He’s great at blocking shots and being strong on the puck in corners (though he’s not good at basically everything else). Pair him with a offensive minded 3rd paring guy like Montour from Buffalo and I think it’s not a bad bottom pair.

Would rather try to get a guy that could help him out like Montour rather than buy him out and be stuck with the penalty for years. Especially since he only makes 3.5m.
Regardless how much you shine a turd in the end it's still a turd jack Johnson is trash.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Regardless how much you shine a turd in the end it's still a turd jack Johnson is trash.
Yeah he’s not great but I don’t think he’s awful enough to the point that I would be okay with a buyout cap hit penalty for 6 seasons.

That’s a hefty price to pay for a guy that doesn’t make all that much and is still a decent PKing bottom pair player

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Vegas might buy out Bjugstad in exchange for MAF.

As much as I would absolutely LOVE MAF back.... we can't take that salary. 7 million is too rich for our blood, especially when Jarry is poised to become our starter and cost us so much less. The more cap we have, the better chance we have at acquiring players to surround our aging stars with. I hate to say it, but the MAF ship sailed the moment we chose Murray.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
As much as I would absolutely LOVE MAF back.... we can't take that salary. 7 million is too rich for our blood, especially when Jarry is poised to become our starter and cost us so much less. The more cap we have, the better chance we have at acquiring players to surround our aging stars with. I hate to say it, but the MAF ship sailed the moment we chose Murray.

Bjugstad AND Johnson, then...

But Pittsburgh would have to send a sweetener back the other way.

Last edited:

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Wild will buy out Dubnyk and try to find another goaltender to split with Khakonen while they see if he can develop into an NHL goaltender after a promising year in the AHL.

They’ll pay Victor Rask $4m stumble his way around the practice rink and hang out in the press box all year.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Bjugstad AND Johnson, then...

But Pittsburgh would have to send a sweetener back the other way.

We literally have no sweeteners left to send. Rutherford has dealt all our picks away. We can't afford to give up another pick or prospect at this point. It's frustrating as hell.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If he is bought out he gets something around $3M

He still can play defensive checking line center. Those are budgeted around $3.5M

When comparing a buy out of around $4M spread over 6 yrs, would Columbus retain $1.4M on him forjudt 3 yrs?

I think there'd be a bidding war. Take a look at the market for UFA centers.

I think UFA centre would typically garner more and UFA value gets inflated a big but I also think that teams are going to be conservative with $$

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad