Speculation: Buyout candidates

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think you will see some more buyouts than expected from teams with tight cap space.

Many on here are saying...I’ll be able to give away this $5M cap hit for fair value.

Columbus could buy out Wennberg at1/3 as a 25 yr old. This will open up $4M in space.

Reactions: qqaz

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think you will see some more buyouts than expected from teams with tight cap space.

Many on here are saying...I’ll be able to give away this $5M cap hit for fair value.

Columbus could buy out Wennberg at1/3 as a 25 yr old. This will open up $4M in space.

No point in keeping him if Torts is staying, they don't mix.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Anything to get rid of Jack Johnson
Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think he’s worth buying out.

I think he’s capable of playing bottom pair minutes and do the PK. He’s great at blocking shots and being strong on the puck in corners (though he’s not good at basically everything else). Pair him with a offensive minded 3rd paring guy like Montour from Buffalo and I think it’s not a bad bottom pair.

Would rather try to get a guy that could help him out like Montour rather than buy him out and be stuck with the penalty for years. Especially since he only makes 3.5m.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015

No point in keeping him if Torts is staying, they don't mix.

Wennberg finally started shooting in the playoffs and got results for it. He's a keeper again. Jackets aren't that tight for space.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm surprised that hasn't already happened

Montreal hasn't needed any extra cap space and can afford to park him in the minors. They still probably don't. They also like the veteran leadership from a development perspective.

They may buy him out now if they don't need the cap space, since, due to bonuses, he'd have a high hit next season, a hit just under 2 mil the next season and a pretty negligible hit the next two seasons.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Cory Schneider for the devils would be the most obvious, but I'm not even sure that happens

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Wennberg finally started shooting in the playoffs and got results for it. He's a keeper again. Jackets aren't that tight for space.
That guy is such an enigma. He's played his entire career on a team that needs centers but he's proceed to produce like a puck-moving defenseman. He never shoots and teams know it.

The fact that he's 25 and still relatively responsible defensively has me thinking that a team would still probably pay him well if the Jackets decided to buy him out.

Weird player.

Reactions: lilfedor

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That guy is such an enigma. He's played his entire career on a team that needs centers but he's proceed to produce like a puck-moving defenseman. He never shoots and teams know it.

The fact that he's 25 and still relatively responsible defensively has me thinking that a team would still probably pay him well if the Jackets decided to buy him out.

Weird player.

He's probably closer to a 2.5M player, 3M at the most if someone got desperate.

Reactions: lilfedor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad