Buying Umberger out

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
If he sucks again next year just burry him in the minors until the offseason setting up a buy out. We'll save $925K on his contract with such a move which would be enough to call up a young player to take his place.

That would be almost 3.7M in Dead Cap Space per Season... Might as well buy him out as I see it, since the BO Dead Space would less and it would be more spread.

For the record I'm against Dead Cap Space unless there are no other viable options.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Until young wingers arrive and outplay him, it makes more sense to work out Umburger's contract, at this point he's only going to play limited minutes, if he's healthy, he might stay healthy with a lighter workload.

Vinnie's different, the only blocking he's likely to do is the view from the press box.

Since the Flyers are unlikely to be serious contenders this year, why do a buyout and push the cap hit further into the future, you can always buy out the rest of his deal next year at a lower future cost when you'll need the money.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That would be almost 3.7M in Dead Cap Space per Season... Might as well buy him out as I see it, since the BO Dead Space would less and it would be more spread.

For the record I'm against Dead Cap Space unless there are no other viable options.

The Flyers don't need cap space this offseason or the upcoming season. No harm in seeing if he can bounce back & if not what I proposed is just another alternative.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
The Flyers don't need cap space this offseason or the upcoming season. No harm in seeing if he can bounce back & if not what I proposed is just another alternative.

I understand... as I alluded to, Dead Cap Space just doesn't sit right with me... whether it be sitting in the AHL or out of the Organization... one just seemed the lesser of two evils; to buy him out over demotion. However, the AHL move is not permanent, and things could change.

... Best all around would be for a healthier Umby to get return back to form enough to contribute.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't buy him out yet either. If he still sucks and isn't moveable, I would next year pending the cap situation.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We all know that with him, Vinny, Grossmann and MacDonald we are screwed anyways. Suffer thru this year and hope he becomes a little useful.

Then next summer, re-assess our situation and go from there.

And sad as it is, we currently have no in-house prospect better than him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We all know that with him, Vinny, Grossmann and MacDonald we are screwed anyways. Suffer thru this year and hope he becomes a little useful.

Then next summer, re-assess our situation and go from there.

And sad as it is, we currently have no in-house prospect better than him.

Laughton and Cousins.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I understand... as I alluded to, Dead Cap Space just doesn't sit right with me... whether it be sitting in the AHL or out of the Organization... one just seemed the lesser of two evils; to buy him out over demotion. However, the AHL move is not permanent, and things could change.

... Best all around would be for a healthier Umby to get return back to form enough to contribute.

My point was give him a chance to bounce back next year since with or without him we're not going anywhere special. If you get around the 25 or so game mark & there's nothing redeeming about him still then send him down & have someone else take his spot from the minors. You'll have enough time to evaluate players down there in that timeframe.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
My point was give him a chance to bounce back next year since with or without him we're not going anywhere special. If you get around the 25 or so game mark & there's nothing redeeming about him still then send him down & have someone else take his spot from the minors. You'll have enough time to evaluate players down there in that timeframe.

I'm following you... not many viable options -- short of finding another sucker to take him off our hands -- that is not going to cause Dead Cap or carrying a useless player... unless he does in fact turn it around.

I'm not really arguing with you... just voicing my displeasure with Dead Cap Space... but understanding that sometimes there is little other choice.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Miller's title is misleading (because he is an idiot), but RJ's quote is below.

"Flyers' R.J. Umberger says he hid injury last year out of fear of being bought out"

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/09/excited_to_be_healthy_flyers_rj_umberger_hid_injur.html

"Coming into camp last year, Columbus had diagnosed me having a herniated disc in my back," Umberger said. "They said I'd be fine when summer comes. That's what the Flyers knew of it. As I rested it, it just got considerably worse and worse, then I got traded.

"Fresh start. I'm excited to return to Philly, but I heard the rumors that the Flyers were going to buy me out and maybe I wouldn't even come here. So you see that, and as bad as it is, I had that warrior mentality that I could play through anything. You think about having success in Philly before. I'm thinking, 'I can't sit out and miss this.' Then as the season starts, it gets considerably worse. Every day gets harder and harder."

-----

Regardless, RJ looks much better int he preseason this year.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Miller's title is misleading (because he is an idiot), but RJ's quote is below.

"Flyers' R.J. Umberger says he hid injury last year out of fear of being bought out"

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/09/excited_to_be_healthy_flyers_rj_umberger_hid_injur.html

"Coming into camp last year, Columbus had diagnosed me having a herniated disc in my back," Umberger said. "They said I'd be fine when summer comes. That's what the Flyers knew of it. As I rested it, it just got considerably worse and worse, then I got traded.

"Fresh start. I'm excited to return to Philly, but I heard the rumors that the Flyers were going to buy me out and maybe I wouldn't even come here. So you see that, and as bad as it is, I had that warrior mentality that I could play through anything. You think about having success in Philly before. I'm thinking, 'I can't sit out and miss this.' Then as the season starts, it gets considerably worse. Every day gets harder and harder."

-----

Regardless, RJ looks much better int he preseason this year.

I'm very hopeful he can get back to the 35-40 point mark and not be a total liability on the ice this season. I've always liked RJ, and I know he loves playing here, so obviously I want to see him succeed.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I've never had a herniated disc, but my friend here at work had one and he basically sits at a desk and packs boxes in this department and he even struggled and had to get surgery. I can't imagine how much pain/issues Umberger had doing his job with this situation.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I understand that Umberger wanted to come back and play here in Philly and that he maybe did not understand the severity of the injury but his attempt to just play through it and not telling the truth had a lot of negative side effects.

Who knows what else got damaged in his back and if he will ever make it through an 82 game season without re-aggrevating the back. Plus he really hurt his market value as a player and he took away a roster spot from a younger, healthier player in a more or less meaningless second half of a season.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Herniated discs are tricky. I know, I've had recurring issues with them. One day, you feel absolutely fine. Next day, you are in extreme pain. And then again, day after that, you feel fine again. Depends on inflammation and whether or not the nerve is getting pinched, etc. The first course of treatment is physical therapy to strengthen your core.

It's not something that he could have made worse by playing through it, really, though it absolutely could have made the team worse.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Herniated discs are tricky. I know, I've had recurring issues with them. One day, you feel absolutely fine. Next day, you are in extreme pain. And then again, day after that, you feel fine again. Depends on inflammation and whether or not the nerve is getting pinched, etc. The first course of treatment is physical therapy to strengthen your core.

It's not something that he could have made worse by playing through it, really, though it absolutely did make the team worse.

Fixed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad