Buying Skates Online

myappleis

Aug 13, 2008
Hey guys. I need to buy a new pair of skates and was hoping someone might know of a good place to order some online. I went shopping at my local spots store but not only do they not have a single pair in my size but also it was quite expensive to order some in.

Also was hoping someone could provide some feedback on the Bauer one100's. Are they much of a downgrade from the totalone's? I'm hoping to buy a skate that won't bust apart on me but also don't want to spend a bunch more money if it's basically the same boot.

On a side note it's amazing how out of touch you can become with the hockey equipment market in three years away from the game. I can't even seem to find wood blades for my shafts anymore.

mhkehoe

Nov 18, 2010
Icewarehouse.com or inlinewarehouse.com depending on ice/roller.

Free shipping with skates, and if they don't fit and aren't used, you get free shipping back. They also are great on price normally (at least the same with all the other online businesses).

In addition, if you buy a $10 t-shirt, you get 10% off all orders (except price protected), so you can usually get a lot better deal with them than other places.

I've always had great luck with customer support too.

myappleis

Aug 13, 2008
Thanks. Nice web site. Unfortunately they also don't have the one100's in my size. :(

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
mlxskates. Best I've ever worn by far for comfort and turns. I'm sure you can find a generous coupon code. There was one posted here a while ago for 50% off.

I like them a lot more than the Bauers.

myappleis

Aug 13, 2008
I just read a review on those that said they have a shorter boot. Don't know if that would work for me. I had a pair of grafs like that and I didn't like the feel.

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
Icewarehouse.com and Hockeymonkey.com are 2 of the best. Id strongly suggest buying skates from a skate shop though. I would buy a pair of skates without being able to try them on first.
Even if you know your size, different brands and models of skates will fit your feet differently and unless youve tried on that exact brand and model of skate in that exact size, you really never know what you are getting.

Thresh

Dec 30, 2010
I wouldn't buy a pair of skates without being able to try them on first.
Even if you know your size, different brands and models of skates will fit your feet differently and unless youve tried on that exact brand and model of skate in that exact size, you really never know what you are getting.

Totally agree with this, having just gone through the process for the first time myself. Even in the right size every skate fit differently.

However i know practically all the other players on the ice team at my uni have bought theirs online using the 1.5 sizes down rule and never had a problem.

If you have no other means to buy in-store, then Hockey Monkey is good and this forum has a coupon code for 10% off in a stickied thread somewhere.

These are the ones you were looking at i think:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/iceskates-bauer-sr.html

The reviews seem really positive.

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
I wouldn't choose a totalone over a one100 for durability reasons. I don't know which boot will hold up better (they are quite similar and still too new to really gauge that) I will say that I am more comfortable with the runner on the one100. I'm still iffy on that fusion steel, and it's damn expensive to replace.

Also, many people have reported that the totalone fits about 1/2 size down from someone's regular Bauer sizing..this is well documented on modsquad and also with many customers I have fitted for the skate. I should reiterate- many, but not all have reported this, so you may or may not have this issue.

Either way, buying skates online sucks, for lack of a better word. Make sure you choose a reputable dealer with a good return policy. I don't know if you can use any coupons on either of those skates (they are MAP items and Bauer gets pissed when you discount them, but thats another thread) so I would check that out as well. If not, look for free shipping, and don't sharpen them until you are 110% sure they fit you properly.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad