Buying a minor league hockey team?

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
just an update on the high profile attempt at something similar in soccer... the MyFootballClub.co.uk group sold their team, Ebbsfleet United, deeply in dept and the verge of bankruptcy. They then went on to form some kind of investment partnership with a semi-pro team from a much lower tier, Slough Town.
Yep I know...

From my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong). MFC collects money for here and now. I think it's a big mistake.

If the fundraiser would se the bar at guaranteeing three years of financial stability ($1M?) then it'd have some consistency. People jumping in on year 2 would partially cover year 4, and it's become a cycle: even with people dropping out after year 3, it'd not be such a blow for the project - people that had jumped in over that time would already make it easier.

Another mistake (and here I know I'm right... most likely) is lack of publicity. After reading about MFC in the newspaper and visiting their site a couple of times, next time I heard of them is when they sold that team recently. They were unable to generate buzz on a consistent basis which led to people dropping out. Buzz ---> people ---> money.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Doesn't Cornwall have LNAH team? It'd be nearly impossible for a Junior A team to compete with semi-pro team.

Yeah, the River Kings. Newly formed. Had their inaugural season last year. Did OK. I think the Colts could survive alongside the semi-pro team in this community quite easily. They've had the benefit of being the only game in town since the Aces left. Even with the River Kings last year they were able to draw around 800 people a game (still good for second in attendance behind Pembroke) where previously they'd get over 1000. (going off shady memory here)

Many people I know who prefer the Jr. game and think the LNAH is just a gongshow, more brawling than actual hockey. That's probably a little unfair but the fan base is there. Like I said though, they do jack all to market the team, maybe taking things for granted. By contrast the River Kings were plastered all over town.

Last edited:

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
If only our **** was together...

River Kings for sale; future unknown

"I can't get in," said Villeneuve, who at times thundered at a group of about 20 people who congregated in front of city hall. "I can’t get a logo on the ice. I can't have rink advertising."

The Colts have exclusive rights to advertising revenue within the facility.

Last season the River Kings secured an agreement with the Colts that would allow for some advertising sharing, but it cost the team $100,000 – payable to the Jr. A franchise, said Villeneuve.

A similar agreement could not be found for this season, mainly because Villeneuve says his team can't afford it.

At this point he'd be "more than happy" to sell the team, especially if a new owner keeps the franchise in the Seaway City.

Villeneuve even went as far as gaiving out his cell number (613-551-3365) at the press conference.

"You can become the owner of the River Kings,'' he suggested. "I'm ready to give, I've been a giver my whole life.''

lol...told ya the Colts would be hard to push over. Didn't know about that advertising arrangement. Nice deal for the Jr. A club.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Go big(ger) or go home.

OHL expansion franchise in Toledo, OH. Play at the new Huntington Center, home of the ECHL's Toledo Walleye. Capacity of about 7,400 for hockey games, and it's not like the Walleye can book all of the premium dates, and their road games are only available via radio anyway.

As far as travel time goes, it's 60 minutes from Plymouth (Whalers) to Toledo, 60 minutes from Windsor (Spitfires) to Toledo, two hours from Saginaw (Spirit), two hours from Sarnia (Sting), and a more daunting five and a half hours from Sault Ste. Marie (Greyhounds).

From the rest of the conference, it's 3.5 hours from Erie (Otters), 3 hours from London (Knights), 3.5 hours from Kitchener (Rangers), 4 hours from Guelph (Storm), and 5 hours from Owen Sound (Attack).

If not Toledo, there's always Flint, MI. It's located between Sarnia and Saginaw, and is more centrally located to the rest of the division. They currently have an NAHL team and nothing else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad