Speculation: Buyers? Sellers? Stay the Course?

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Simple enough with one month to go.

We are surprisingly high in the standings, given the injury circumstances. And we know scoring is a huge issue these days. Will we stay there and be a Playoff team? So it asks the questions:

If you think we are Buyers, what do we need?

If you think we are Sellers, who should go?

Or do we just Stay the Course and see how it all works out?

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I think we will "kinda" be buyers. What I mean by this is we might try and pick up a reclamation project type player and give them a shot to see if they are worth keeping in the future.

I don't think we will give up anything more valuable than a 3rd.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I'm hopeful we will be limited Sellers. Guys like Bishop and Gonchar who can walk with no return. DaCosta is in that boat as well. Murray is a smart guy and if a player like Stone makes some noise, Michalek could very well be a chip he'd get a decent return on. In this shortened rebuild season 2, now is not the time to clear out prospects, rather add to the pool. If we do sneak into the Playoffs, great - if we don't, the extra picks will add up.

The usual trade dealine is around this time. This year everything is tightened up, but there is only a month left to make the determination.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I think we will "kinda" be buyers. What I mean by this is we might try and pick up a reclamation project type player and give them a shot to see if they are worth keeping in the future.

I don't think we will give up anything more valuable than a 3rd.

This...i wouldn't mind giving up a 5th or something for an ex 50+ point player who is still in his mid 20s.

Like a cheechoo, svatos, latendresse...Obviously none of those worked, but it may only be a matter of time before we find a new todd white. There are 1 or 2 of those available every year for a late pick.

Every deadline there's a borderline top 6 forward/borderline top 4 D traded for like a 5th where i scream at my tv "why didn't we give up a conditional 5th for this 0.5ppg player!"

That's the type of deal i'm interested in making.

I mean, we got rid of guys like:

-Traded bonk for a 3rd round pick after 44 points in 66 games.
-Traded mceachern for a 6th round pick after 46 points in 80 games.
-Smolinski was just thrown in for nothing in the havlat deal after 48 points in 81 games.
-Traded dackell for an 8th round pick after a 35 point season and a year removed from a 50 point season.
-Traded Schaefer for a 4th liner/13th forward after a 46 point season and a year removed from a 50 point season.

I wouldn't mind pulling off 1 or 2 of those types of trades...but reversed.

Where we give up an insignificant pick, and acquire boarderline top 6 forwards. 30-50 point guys.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I just hope we're either in it or out of it by the trade deadline. No bubble-bs.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Win or lose stay the course. If this season has proven anything, its that the Sens have a ton of promising talent developing, and more is on the way. In a year or two, yeah trade for the finishing pieces, but at best this team can make the playoffs, no chance of winning it all.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Send off Gonchar at the trade deadline; acquire a 2nd round pick for him.

This.

Stay the course and let the season play out. With no Karlsson, there's no point in reinforcing the team for this season.

Don't sell off guys either. Gonchar is a good piece to move at the deadline as a old guy and a pending UFA. Other moves can be made in the summer.

The only type of deal we should be considering are those that are like the Turris/Rundblad deals. Trades that are done with a mind to building a team, regardless of how the team is currently doing.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
I'm hopeful we will be limited Sellers. Guys like Bishop and Gonchar who can walk with no return. DaCosta is in that boat as well. Murray is a smart guy and if a player like Stone makes some noise, Michalek could very well be a chip he'd get a decent return on. In this shortened rebuild season 2, now is not the time to clear out prospects, rather add to the pool. If we do sneak into the Playoffs, great - if we don't, the extra picks will add up.

The usual trade dealine is around this time. This year everything is tightened up, but there is only a month left to make the determination.

This.

Stay the course and let the season play out. With no Karlsson, there's no point in reinforcing the team for this season.

Don't sell off guys either. Gonchar is a good piece to move at the deadline as a old guy and a pending UFA. Other moves can be made in the summer.

The only type of deal we should be considering are those that are like the Turris/Rundblad deals. Trades that are done with a mind to building a team, regardless of how the team is currently doing.

I'm pretty much in agreement with these. I think we should be a moderate seller. Trade Gonchar for a 2013 2nd. Trade Bishop if we get a good deal. He should have value, given his performance and his RFA status (not sure, he may need one more start to preserve RFA). Other than that, only make Turris/Rundblad type trades, and maybe use some of our mid prospects to trade up at the draft.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Stay the course.

If Murray gets offered a trade that helps us with our future, and benefits the Sens, then take it.

But no reason to be buyers/sellers at this point. Stay the course, see what happens, and take a trade if it is something you just can't pass up.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
bush_Stay_the_Course-737983.jpg

GK

Not Jeeks
Apr 2, 2010
Banff
I don't know why we'd ever be sellers, so I'm saying stay the course because I can't see BM making a big splash.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Stay the course. If we buy we should be acquiring a young player that fits into our future plans.

If we fall out of a playoff spot, trade Gonchar for a 2nd.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I'd like to see the team pick up a somewhat skilled D like Ian White for cheap. If they can pull that off I say move Gonchar for a slightly higher pick than was given up for the player acquired.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Trade
- at the deadline - Gonchar, Lundin, Latendresse & Regin
- at the draft - Bishop, Condra, Benoit, Da Costa, Hoffman
- this summer - Michalek maybe
- waive or do not re-sgin - Daugavins

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Trade
- at the deadline - Gonchar, Lundin, Latendresse & Regin
- at the draft - Bishop, Condra, Benoit, Da Costa, Hoffman
- this summer - Michalek maybe
- waive or do not re-sgin - Daugavins
I wouldn't trade Condra or Hoffman, we do need some people to play the bottom 6 and some depth.

I also wouldn't trade Michalek. It's hard enough for us to attract top 6 players that we should keep the ones we have, no matter how injury-prone or frustrating they can be sometimes.

I don't think Lundin or Latendresse will get you anything back in a trade. I don't think we get much for Regin at the deadline, and he's more useful to us than to a contender anyway.

I agree with the rest.

Next year:

FA - Spezza - Michalek
FA - Turris - Silf
Hoff - Ziba - Condra
Greening - Smith - Neil
(+JOB)

depth: Stone, DD, Grant, Noesen.

kilroy

Aug 13, 2007
Going to be a boring season, boys.

Stay the course, and probably only minimal moves at the deadline.

Like others have said, attempt to deal Gonchar for anything they can get, and IF HE WANTS TO, move Alfie for assets. But only if he wants to be traded.

Otherwise, it'll be strength for weakness type deals, similar to the Foligno/Methot deal and I bet they'll only happen at the draft or in the summer.

Yup, gonna be a ho-hum season. Oh well, at least they're playing and they're not out of it yet.

Wait, I forgot the goalie situation. Since Bishop's done nothing but improve his value, there might be a deal once Anderson returns. However, the goalie market is always hard to predict and very quiet during the season. So they MIGHT deal Bishop if the price is right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad