Buyers or sellers at the deadline?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Francis has done well so far, but it's true he hasn't made (or had to make) very many moves. Hasn't really had to make ones like he does at this deadline if staal isn't signed. It's easier to walk from Ward but figuring out staal and versteeg will be interesting, especially in the midst of a possible playoff run.

If we stay even or below .500 the next couple of weeks the decisions get easier.

Staal value has to be at least a first and a good prospect. I've been wondering about Drouin the whole time too. Yzerman needs to make a playoff push, and who knows what way the stamkos thing is going.

I would proclaim Francis King of GMs if he could finagle Drouin out of TB with Staal as the centerpiece (a-la Forsberg for Erat) That is the dream scenario for Carolina and might not be completely out to lunch of Yzerman wants to push for a Cup while Stamkos is still there.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Versteeg had been in this same situation like 42 times and succeeded every time. Wizniewski has been in a similar situation and succeeded every time with the exception of the last (hence why he was available). Wiz has also only played 1 shift as a Cane and might not recover well from his ACL injury. I wouldn't exactly call Lack's tenure with the Canes "hitting gold" but you are entitled to that opinion.

I just feel like Francis is being pumped up a little bit too much for these moves. They worked out well, but I would say most of us and the media felt they would work out well when they happened. I want to see him win an actual hockey trade before proclaiming him King of GMs.

I actually think your assessment is fair given that we haven't seen Wiz play yet. Without that, it's more of a What if scenario. IF Wiz turns out to be a legit top 2 line Dman here, given the other budding talent, then I think it was a great trade. So, my comments were more speculation then anything. I think Lack is OK but doesn't really factor into this, yet anyway, Versteeg on the other hand has proven to be a very good acquisition.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
While I do think E. Staal will be traded, and depending on where they are on the standings, I think he should be traded at the deadline, the comments about how if they don't trade him "it will set the franchise back" are a bit much. Yes, with a late round pick you could get a Justin Faulk, but you also could get a Riley Nash or Zach Boychuk. Acting like 1 extra late 1st round pick will make or break this franchise is a bit silly.

Granted, I don't want to see him signed for tons of money and term and if the Canes get an extra 1st for him, great, but IMO, it isn't make or break.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
While I do think E. Staal will be traded, and depending on where they are on the standings, I think he should be traded at the deadline, the comments about how if they don't trade him "it will set the franchise back" are a bit much. Yes, with a late round pick you could get a Justin Faulk, but you also could get a Riley Nash or Zach Boychuk. Acting like 1 extra late 1st round pick will make or break this franchise is a bit silly.

Granted, I don't want to see him signed for tons of money and term and if the Canes get an extra 1st for him, great, but IMO, it isn't make or break.

As much as I'm not a fan of E Staal, I completely agree with this. Who are the offensive lynchpins that will carry the team going forward? This will be a very delicate balance, whether to re-sign and at what rate vs. trading and finding a somewhat comparable UFA in the summer. Because there's no one on the team or in the system that can provide what he does at the monent.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Versteeg had been in this same situation like 42 times and succeeded every time. Wizniewski has been in a similar situation and succeeded every time with the exception of the last (hence why he was available). Wiz has also only played 1 shift as a Cane and might not recover well from his ACL injury. I wouldn't exactly call Lack's tenure with the Canes "hitting gold" but you are entitled to that opinion.

I just feel like Francis is being pumped up a little bit too much for these moves. They worked out well, but I would say most of us and the media felt they would work out well when they happened. I want to see him win an actual hockey trade before proclaiming him King of GMs.

You've got to be quite the debbie downer to turn your nose up at Versteeg/Nordstrom/3rd for a 5th/Robertson.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
You've got to be quite the debbie downer to turn your nose up at Versteeg/Nordstrom/3rd for a 5th/Robertson.

I said it was a good trade and Versteeg has been great for the Canes.

But your kidding yourself if you think RF fleeced Chicago. I'd bet Versteeg was offered to every team in the league for a 3rd. This is like the 3rd time the exact same thing happened to Steeg at near the same value.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

But your kidding yourself if you think RF fleeced Chicago. I'd bet Versteeg was offered to every team in the league for a 3rd. This is like the 3rd time the exact same thing happened to Steeg at near the same value.

You know that the Canes received a 3rd from Chicago and Nordstrom as well and only gave up essentially 2 5th round picks and an ECHL defenseman right? It could easily be argued that all 3 of the pieces the Canes received is more valuable than what they gave up.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

Whether or not Chicago was 'fleeced' is irrelevant to how good a deal it was for the Canes.

As for the make believe "3rd time it happened"

He was traded for to Toronto for Victor Stalberg and Philippe Paradis.
He was traded to Philly for a 1st and a 3rd.
Philly traded him to Florida for a 2nd and a 3rd.
Florida dealt him to Chicago and retained salary for Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen (after playing 28 games in 2 years)

Highest Boss

Jan 15, 2014
Illinois
DqG5Gwu.jpg

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Whether or not Chicago was 'fleeced' is irrelevant to how good a deal it was for the Canes.

As for the make believe "3rd time it happened"

He was traded for to Toronto for Victor Stalberg and Philippe Paradis.
He was traded to Philly for a 1st and a 3rd.
Philly traded him to Florida for a 2nd and a 3rd.
Florida dealt him to Chicago and retained salary for Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen (after playing 28 games in 2 years)

Nice context pull. It's impressive that you completely changed the meaning of what I said.

What I actually said was the Versteeg has bee traded and succeeded in his traded-to destination. It was in response to someone saying that only a minimal amount of those types of trades ever work out. That's clearly not the case with Versteeg.

You all are kidding yourselves if you think Francis was the only GM that was offered or asked for essentially an identical deal. Chicago literally had to move him, they were blowing up the phones left and right according to every single outlet that exists (not to mention common sense).

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Nice context pull. It's impressive that you completely changed the meaning of what I said.

What I actually said was the Versteeg has bee traded and succeeded in his traded-to destination. It was in response to someone saying that only a minimal amount of those types of trades ever work out. That's clearly not the case with Versteeg.

You all are kidding yourselves if you think Francis was the only GM that was offered or asked for essentially an identical deal. Chicago literally had to move him, they were blowing up the phones left and right according to every single outlet that exists (not to mention common sense).

I just assumed you weren't making the argument that hurt your argument.

So we have Versteeg, who you feel was a reasonably sure thing to be a solid contributor on a cap friendly expiring contract. And the best Chicago could do is pay Carolina a 3rd and Nordstrom to take him.

Why? Do you not see the disconnect? Is your theory that other teams were demanding a 2nd to take Versteeg, and Francis outbid them by only requiring a 3rd and Nords?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad