Buyers or sellers at the deadline?

mattyace9

Mar 19, 2015
North Carolina
There are currently nine players that are being considered as possible trade bait due to UFA status in the summer. Should the 'Canes continue to rebuild and sell at the deadline or attempt to make a playoff push? Francis' plan was to be sellers.

Do they get rid of Skinner?

Also, with the pending UFA's, who should Ron Francis re-sign? Versteeg Maybe?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
There are currently nine players that are being considered as possible trade bait due to UFA status in the summer. Should the 'Canes continue to rebuild and sell at the deadline or attempt to make a playoff push? Francis' plan was to be sellers.

Do they get rid of Skinner?

Also, with the pending UFA's, who should Ron Francis re-sign? Versteeg Maybe?

I counted 8 (Staal, Versteeg, Gerbe, Nash, Terry, Malone, Liles, Ward)

If I had to guess on who would be back:

Not likely: Gerbe, Terry, Malone, Liles
Slight chance: Nash
50/50: Staal, Versteeg
Probably: Ward

Doubt they get rid of Skinner. He's been scoring goals, has been their most dangerous offensive player and playing a good 2-way game.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I counted 8 (Staal, Versteeg, Gerbe, Nash, Terry, Malone, Liles, Ward)

If I had to guess on who would be back:

Not likely: Gerbe, Terry, Malone, Liles
Slight chance: Nash
50/50: Staal, Versteeg
Probably: Ward

Doubt they get rid of Skinner. He's been scoring goals, has been their most dangerous offensive player and playing a good 2-way game.

Given his RFA and waiver status the 9th would be Ryan Murphy.

Here's my take:

Not likely: Gerbe, Terry, Liles
Slight Chance: Versteeg, Murphy
50/50: Staal
Probably: Ward, Malone

I think Skinner is part of the future and his play this year has been much better even if the results don't fully show it.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Who will be back if not traded?

For sure: Eric
Probable: Versteeg, Murphy
Slight: Ward, Nash
Nope: everyone else

If we sell:

Eric, Steeg, Liles, Murphy get dealt.

Eric comes back.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
i do not think eric gets traded, but if he does, i would bet my truck he pulls a vermette and comes back after the playoffs

i wanna just outright sign versteeg

ward will be back on the cheap

those are my three predictions

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Maybe rather than "Selling", Francis does some more of his fancy pants wheeling and dealing where he sends off a couple pieces, and somehow ends up with a bunch of other better stuff.

Like Khudobin + early 3rd = Lack, Versteeg, Wiz, Nordstrom, late 3rd.

I still don't understand how that happened exactly. But he should do stuff like that all the time.

perrygetzanother

Jun 14, 2014
somewhere nice
I'd love to see EStaal on the Ducks for a playoff run, we seem to love collecting center talent drafted that year anyways :)

What is the expected return on a strict rental? Anaheim would have close to 0% chance to resign him just due to cap etc and you seem to be pretty confident he'd come back, so, we can borrow him for nothing right?

No seriously, what would the rental price be on him?

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'd love to see EStaal on the Ducks for a playoff run, we seem to love collecting center talent drafted that year anyways :)

What is the expected return on a strict rental? Anaheim would have close to 0% chance to resign him just due to cap etc and you seem to be pretty confident he'd come back, so, we can borrow him for nothing right?

No seriously, what would the rental price be on him?

A first. Someone's gonna pay it.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I was expecting it to be more than that. EStaal is still a stud, I'm surprised to see the price lower than what Vermette got last year.

It might be, but it's at least a first. Depends on what the bidding looks like. Personally, I get a weird feeling that he's gonna end up in a deal for Drouin somehow, but who knows.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Maybe rather than "Selling", Francis does some more of his fancy pants wheeling and dealing where he sends off a couple pieces, and somehow ends up with a bunch of other better stuff.

Like Khudobin + early 3rd = Lack, Versteeg, Wiz, Nordstrom, late 3rd.

I still don't understand how that happened exactly. But he should do stuff like that all the time.

Yeah, I still don't understand how he did that, we could move Eric, Liles, and Steeg and up next season with Eric and Steeg, plus more 1sts and 2nds.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Yeah, I still don't understand how he did that, we could move Eric, Liles, and Steeg and up next season with Eric and Steeg, plus more 1sts and 2nds.

If he does that, I think we have to start the push to acknowledge Ron Francis may be the best GM in the NHL...I mean people keep giving us nice things for nothing, he horse-trades crap to gold, and he seemingly gets the better end of the few moves he makes every time.

He has to either have a hit-file of evidence against other GMs (naughty photos, proof they're tax-cheats, something) or he's brainwashing them somehow.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
re: Eric, I'm guessing it's at least what RF got for Sekera last year....a 1st and a good prospect. It all depends on how many bidders there are. Montreal falling off a cliff and Nashville getting Johansen may have taken a couple potential bidders off the table.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
He has to either have a hit-file of evidence against other GMs (naughty photos, proof they're tax-cheats, something) or he's brainwashing them somehow.

He may very good at persuading people to see the value in players that maybe aren't valuable, or haven't really shown it yet. The key to this is timing, and doing it before either becomes evident. That takes a specific skill set and ability to read people well. If he makes another trade like that one, we'll know we have a great GM.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'm pleased with RF's performance but let's not get cocky here. Versteeg, Wiz, and Lack were 3 players that their teams were actively trying to get rid of. RF just capitalized. The Sekera trade was definitely on the higher end of the value range but again, that was a fortunate circumstance where LA overpaid due to a high demand and short supply of top-4 D at the TDL.

As for Anaheim I'd want:

1st + Nattinen
Or
Silfverberg + 3rd

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
He may very good at persuading people to see the value in players that maybe aren't valuable, or haven't really shown it yet. The key to this is timing, and doing it before either becomes evident. That takes a specific skill set and ability to read people well. If he makes another trade like that one, we'll know we have a great GM.

Come on now.

1) Chicago was over the Cap and going through their annual purge of overpaid 3rd/4th liners.
2) Wizniewski was a healthy scratch making $5 million on a deep Anaheim D corps
3) Ryan Miller had taken the starting job from Lack and makes $6 million a year, starter money

A blind man could see these players were available for peanuts. I'm pleased with how it all worked out but this was no Erat for Forsberg or Gomez for McDonagh fleecing. It was pretty standard bargain bin shopping done right.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
A blind man could see these players were available for peanuts. I'm pleased with how it all worked out but this was no Erat for Forsberg or Gomez for McDonagh fleecing. It was pretty standard bargain bin shopping done right.

Yeah, but the typical success-driver for bargain bin shopping is volume...and we're not moving volume. Easily 4/5 of bargain-bin deals end up being null value or worse, losses, for the team doing the bargain-shopping. You usually have to make a lot of moves to succeed in the discount aisle because you're swapping ??? for crap you think you can redeem.

Francis is making few moves and hitting gold every time...that suggests something more than "standard bargain-bin shopping"...perhaps we have a FO that has a real eye for opportunity.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Francis has done well so far, but it's true he hasn't made (or had to make) very many moves. Hasn't really had to make ones like he does at this deadline if staal isn't signed. It's easier to walk from Ward but figuring out staal and versteeg will be interesting, especially in the midst of a possible playoff run.

If we stay even or below .500 the next couple of weeks the decisions get easier.

Staal value has to be at least a first and a good prospect. I've been wondering about Drouin the whole time too. Yzerman needs to make a playoff push, and who knows what way the stamkos thing is going.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Yeah, but the typical success-driver for bargain bin shopping is volume...and we're not moving volume. Easily 4/5 of bargain-bin deals end up being null value or worse, losses, for the team doing the bargain-shopping. You usually have to make a lot of moves to succeed in the discount aisle because you're swapping ??? for crap you think you can redeem.

Francis is making few moves and hitting gold every time...that suggests something more than "standard bargain-bin shopping"...perhaps we have a FO that has a real eye for opportunity.

Versteeg had been in this same situation like 42 times and succeeded every time. Wizniewski has been in a similar situation and succeeded every time with the exception of the last (hence why he was available). Wiz has also only played 1 shift as a Cane and might not recover well from his ACL injury. I wouldn't exactly call Lack's tenure with the Canes "hitting gold" but you are entitled to that opinion.

I just feel like Francis is being pumped up a little bit too much for these moves. They worked out well, but I would say most of us and the media felt they would work out well when they happened. I want to see him win an actual hockey trade before proclaiming him King of GMs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad