Proposal: Buy out Derek MacKenzie

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Another game at home, another loss. Right after it looks like we have a chance to turn a corner, they come home and play like that. 33 goals to 41 in the last 14 games. Somehow we’ve gone 6-6 over that span but that’s mostly thanks to Lu.

After every loss and sometimes even after a win, the excuse from Boughner is the same: that team is fast/physical/bigger and we weren’t prepared. Well whose job is it to make sure the team is prepared? Leadership and coaching. That’s who. Since we can’t fire Boughner just yet because we aren’t Tom Rowe, if Tallon is serious about a) the playoffs and b) his job security, he needs to make a statement.

That said, I propose a buyout of MacKenzie and a stripping of the C. After entering the league in 97, guy was a career AHLer who didn’t play in more than 18 games in a season before 2009. It’s oretty easy to see why. He brings absolutely nothing in the ice despite a little bit of forechecking physicality (and that’s dwindled since he got hurt). Given that your captain doesn’t have to be the best player on the ice, he should at least be good at something. Anything. Ask yourself: what’s he good at?

Then you have his team. Last night was just a continuation of the last two seasons. It goes like this: the team goes out and scores an early goal first in the late 1st/early 2nd, gives up a goal either early/midd 2nd then shuts down. From this point on, there is no energy, no sense of urgency and nothing doing over the red line. The opposition spends a ton of time in the zone, peppers Lu with shots and finally knocks him off his headstand while the “defense” looks for a reason to exist. Based off this being two seasons worth of games now, it’s conclusive there is no in-game management by MacKenzie who looks as dead as the rest of the guys out there when he should be the one trying to light a fire both verbally and tangibly. But nah, we will just stick to being the fifth worst GF/GA team in the league, the fifth worst point percentage team in the league, fourth worst PP, and fourth worst PK. Something tells me this will be te fourth/fifth worst team in hockey under the current leadership.

So I say buy him out at the end of the year and in the meanwhile, give his C to someone who shows they care (Trocheck, Huby) with the point that the team needs a serious attitude adjustment if it plans to do much this season (down to under a 14% chance of making the playoffs). And save some money off the last year in the process.

Derek MacKenzie is not a leader. He’s the worst captain in the NHL. And it’s time to move on.

Last edited:

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
You can't buy out NHL contracts mid-season.
Point was when the season’s over. Sorry I didn’t make that clear. I still think we should strip the C though with the intent to buy out the last year.

Changed some wording to reflect that. But yes, I knew that

Reactions: Great8Cam

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
it wont help shit cause the roster sucks but since it can't hurt and I want to see some passionate hockey, I agree. we'll still miss the playoffs but the next few games would be fun to watch. trochek is the obvious captain.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
As much as he's declined and never be an ideal 4C/Captain outside of the one good year he had here on the PK, I agree to strip him of the "C" but make him the 13th forward next year. We have Jokinen's buyout next year as well and Demer's retention for the next 3+ years.

Plus we're really only saving like $366,000. I like the idea but he could still be a useful 13th forward for one more year. I expect guys like Mamin, Repo, Hawryluk etc to compete for 4th line roles next year so just in case we have injuries, Mack isn't a horrible option for short term fill in.

Or could we possibly just Lupul him this off-season and say he has a LTIR injury to open a roster spot and have insurance pay him out?

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Another game at home, another loss. Right after it looks like we have a chance to turn a corner, they come home and play like that. 33 goals to 41 in the last 14 games. Somehow we’ve gone 6-6 over that span but that’s mostly thanks to Lu.

After every loss and sometimes even after a win, the excuse from Boughner is the same: that team is fast/physical/bigger and we weren’t prepared. Well whose job is it to make sure the team is prepared? Leadership and coaching. That’s who. Since we can’t fire Boughner just yet because we aren’t Tom Rowe, if Tallon is serious about a) the playoffs and b) his job security, he needs to make a statement.

That said, I propose a buyout of MacKenzie and a stripping of the C. After entering the league in 97, guy was a career AHLer who didn’t play in more than 18 games in a season before 2009. It’s oretty easy to see why. He brings absolutely nothing in the ice despite a little bit of forechecking physicality (and that’s dwindled since he got hurt). Given that your captain doesn’t have to be the best player on the ice, he should at least be good at something. Anything. Ask yourself: what’s he good at?

Then you have his team. Last night was just a continuation of the last two seasons. It goes like this: the team goes out and scores an early goal first in the late 1st/early 2nd, gives up a goal either early/midd 2nd then shuts down. From this point on, there is no energy, no sense of urgency and nothing doing over the red line. The opposition spends a ton of time in the zone, peppers Lu with shots and finally knocks him off his headstand while the “defense” looks for a reason to exist. Based off this being two seasons worth of games now, it’s conclusive there is no in-game management by MacKenzie who looks as dead as the rest of the guys out there when he should be the one trying to light a fire both verbally and tangibly. But nah, we will just stick to being the fifth worst GF/GA team in the league, the fifth worst point percentage team in the league, fourth worst PP, and fourth worst PK. Something tells me this will be te fourth/fifth worst team in hockey under the current leadership.

So I say buy him out at the end of the year and in the meanwhile, give his C to someone who shows they care (Trocheck, Huby) with the point that the team needs a serious attitude adjustment if it plans to do much this season (down to under a 14% chance of making the playoffs). And save some money off the last year in the process.

Derek MacKenzie is not a leader. He’s the worst captain in the NHL. And it’s time to move on.

Serious question - was there ever a Captain stripped of the letter mid-season purely for bad play/not enough leadership? If so, how often does it happen?
Anyway I mostly agree but I'd wait after the season is over. After the whirlwind of the last two years, the team could use some stability. Will stripping the C mid-season help team mentality of will it make things worse? If we didn't make the change in the offseason, I can't really see it happening now.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
may i just say that breakaway he had the other day (against carolina?) was one of the worst attempts ive ever seen.

id prefer him off the team too, maybe we can ship him with petrovic/pysyk where ever they end up going.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Point was when the season’s over. Sorry I didn’t make that clear. I still think we should strip the C though with the intent to buy out the last year.

Changed some wording to reflect that. But yes, I knew that
Originally it sounded like you wanted him stripped of the captaincy and bought out to have any hope of making the playoffs this season, that's why I pointed it out.

Serious question - was there ever a Captain stripped of the letter mid-season purely for bad play/not enough leadership? If so, how often does it happen?
Anyway I mostly agree but I'd wait after the season is over. After the whirlwind of the last two years, the team could use some stability. Will stripping the C mid-season help team mentality of will it make things worse? If we didn't make the change in the offseason, I can't really see it happening now.
It must've happened at some point during the 100 years, but I think it's more frequent in the European leagues where you can't get rid of players as easily and also many teams go with a season-by-season basis because the change of players is higher. Trading your captain is more likely mid-season in the NHL.

I do agree with you to wait until the season is over, they had their chance before the season started and didn't want to go through with it. Whatever they end up deciding to do with Mac, I hope they consult him about it first. It would be really bad if we kept him as a 13th forward or sent him to Springfield and then he started to complain about it.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Originally it sounded like you wanted him stripped of the captaincy and bought out to have any hope of making the playoffs this season, that's why I pointed it out.

It must've happened at some point during the 100 years, but I think it's more frequent in the European leagues where you can't get rid of players as easily and also many teams go with a season-by-season basis because the change of players is higher. Trading your captain is more likely mid-season in the NHL.

I do agree with you to wait until the season is over, they had their chance before the season started and didn't want to go through with it. Whatever they end up deciding to do with Mac, I hope they consult him about it first. It would be really bad if we kept him as a 13th forward or sent him to Springfield and then he started to complain about it.
I hear he has quite the reputation of being a big mouth. That’s all I can say about it. But it’s known to happen.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
I think it’ll help mentally because I don’t think the team can get much worse mentally than it is right now. Looking at these guys in interviews they are trying to stay professional about it but they just look defeated. Lu is also clearly sick of the BS. See his death stare on Yandle and the fact he points out terrible defense nightly in his interviews.

They are as a team pretty low right now. Stripping the C makes a point that the team wants to make an attitude adjustment now because it’s that urgent. Take his letter now and make it clear that this is the beginning of a massive changing of the guard. And make it clear to Boogie that he needs to figure out how to actually coach. I don’t want to hear any more about systems. This guy has a terrible coaching strategy, can’t make his mind up with the lines and barely has an excuse regarding injuries like Rowe had.

I think it would do more good than bad. And if it doesn’t we can’t get much worse than we already are. Then move on from Mac and potentially Boogs at the end of the year.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
We lost by a goal, what adjustments should we make?

Strip your captain of his C and terminate his career, it's the magic cure!

Have Stanley C Panther do it too. A boost of morale for the locker room.

Reactions: 5 Hole

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
We lost by a goal, what adjustments should we make?

Strip your captain of his C and terminate his career, it's the magic cure!

Have Stanley C Panther do it too. A boost of morale for the locker room.

Lmao exactly.

I don't see how this solves anything. This is another learning year. This team will get destroyed in the playoffs with no depth. Especially against a team like San Jose that's much bigger than us. Bjugstad played 19 mins. Why? Because he's one of the only forwards we have with size. Unfortunately he doesn't play with any bite, so it didn't really help.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
It doesn't solve our place in the standings but it is a step in the right direction. It was an utter mistake making him our Captain. This isnt 2007 when you can make Brooks Laich ur captain and get away with it. You need the C to be marketable and a good player to boot. Management needs to man up and make someone who actually impacts the game day in and day out our Captain. It'll be a boost to the players as well. **** macK

Last edited by a moderator:

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
It doesn't solve our place in the standings but it is a step in the right direction. It was an utter mistake making him our Captain. This isnt 2007 when you can make Brooks Laich ur captain and get away with it. You need the C to be marketable and a good player to boot. Management needs to man up and make someone who actually impacts the game day in and day out our Captain. It'll be a boost to the players as well. **** macK

When have you been in the locker room lately?

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
i sayed it already in the Armchair i see his Buyout comeing no matter what, about the upcoming Cap Situation and the Way he play.
I don´t see Hubbi or Barkov or Ekblad as Captain. I dont think Hubbi and Barkov could bring up that much emotion for a Captain. And Trocheck always goes a bit over the Top young&energetic. I see it more Yandle could become the next captain.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
Do me a favor and look at the list of team captains in the NHL. One team's captain is not like the others. What do the panthers know about this leadership position that the rest of the NHL doesn't?

Reactions: KW

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Don’t need to be. The on ice product shows the repercussions of his “leadership”. There is no life in this team, especially when they allow the game to be tied, fall behind or are the victims of a bad call. Like I said they literally just shut down. And it’s been like that most of the season. He does absolutely nothing to impact the game, especially now that he isn’t hitting or forechecking the little bit he used to before the injury. I would even go as far as to say the team was better without him out there. See the Sharks and Toronto games.

Again the guy provides nothing on the ice and apparently very little in leadership getting the team ready and keeping them fired up during games. He’s not a captain whatsoever.

Reactions: StrangeVision

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad