TSN: Button adresses Sabres Situation

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Button calling out what a select few of us knew the moment that comment was made...
At the time, and I may be remembering this wrong, this board was mostly in agreement that his words were needed. It was only after the local print media went to work for the next few weeks that people began to vilify. It was a vocal minority claiming that RoR’s pts/60 was bad because he was bad. And kind of everybody else was like, “shut up, O’Reilly’s awesome.” Again, night just be my memory of it.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
At the time, and I may be remembering this wrong, this board was mostly in agreement that his words were needed. It was only after the local print media went to work for the next few weeks that people began to vilify. It was a vocal minority claiming that RoR’s pts/60 was bad because he was bad. And kind of everybody else was like, “shut up, O’Reilly’s awesome.” Again, night just be my memory of it.

Before the media got their hands on the situation, ROR's words were met with the majority of fans understanding his plight, with a few that wanted him gone because they read it as he was giving up and quitting. Then once the media took over, a good portion of fans started to slide over to the "he's quitting I don't want him here" and justified him needing to go with the Tim Horton's incident which made trading ROR that much easier for the fanbase to cheer.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Ralph as GM is a bad idea. The guy values Vlad and Bogo.

Ralph as coach/GM is even worse. He is a guy that values building trust and relationships which you cant do if you're GM as well. You cant be warm and fuzzy with a guy in practice and trade him at 2:00 p.m. Ralph to GM talk just needs to die.

If we all like Ralph enough where a GM brings in a new coach, he can take the Ted Black role. He is in touch with fans, and actually has experience running operations on that side. Doubt it happens, but that role suits him way more than GM

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Before the media got their hands on the situation, ROR's words were met with the majority of fans understanding his plight, with a few that wanted him gone because they read it as he was giving up and quitting. Then once the media took over, a good portion of fans started to slide over to the "he's quitting I don't want him here" and justified him needing to go with the Tim Horton's incident which made trading ROR that much easier for the fanbase to cheer.
This is accurately describing the herding of buffalo by the bs media reactionary cluckbait idiots..

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
He nailed the RoR take. Sure it was two years late, but it should be clear as day by now to everyone, including the Pegulas.

The Pegulas caused that deal. They didn’t want to pay his $7.5 M bonus. Botterill called the Blues back and they knew he had to make a deal before July 1

Anybody who thinks that bonus wasn’t a factor is naive.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The Pegulas caused that deal. They didn’t want to pay his $7.5 M bonus. Botterill called the Blues back and they knew he had to make a deal before July 1

Anybody who thinks the ROR trade started with the Pegulas is naive.

Botts was trying to trade ROR because he mistakenly attributed the “culture problem” to ROR... so yea maybe the Pegulas told him if your gonna trade him do it before the bonus... but that’s irrelevant.

the relevant issue was the failure of the GM in identifying ROR as the guy who needed to go.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
For once, I’d like this team to show guts and fire a recently hired coach who isn’t getting results and replace him with an experienced coach with a winning background. I’m sick of the inexperienced GM/coach combos. It was novel at first, but how many times are you going to keep doing the same thing and expect different results?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

The bonus was a factor ONLY because it created a timeline that Botterill tried to follow. Every year there was a signing bonus.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Anybody who thinks the ROR trade started with the Pegulas is naive.

Botts was trying to trade ROR because he mistakenly attributed the “culture problem” to ROR... so yea maybe the Pegulas told him if your gonna trade him do it before the bonus... but that’s irrelevant.

the relevant issue was the failure of the GM in identifying ROR as the guy who needed to go.

or that the return he got for him was garbage. I have no issue with them trading O’Reilly and getting Robert Thomas and Dunn as the return. That was tossed around as reasonable. Throw in a draft pick and there you are. Buffalo has its long term two/three center and a good younger defenseman. But the return… And then the inner action to replace that position on his roster shows a level of obtuseness that is just shocking in somebody who has been around hockey for his entire life. Our general manager should be in concussion protocol 24 seven.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
or that the return he got for him was garbage. I have no issue with them trading O’Reilly and getting Robert Thomas and Dunn as the return. That was tossed around as reasonable. Throw in a draft pick and there you are. Buffalo has its long term two/three center and a good younger defenseman. But the return… And then the inner action to replace that position on his roster shows a level of obtuseness that is just shocking in somebody who has been around hockey for his entire life. Our general manager should be in concussion protocol 24 seven.

Or the idea that was floated about ROR to the Habs for 3rd OA and taking Brady T. But the Blues trade decimated this organization. I would have loved if there was a camera in the Blues office so we could see the looks on their faces when Botts agreed to the deal.

Thomas, Dunn and a 1st or Thomas, Kyrou and a 1st is what Darcy would have got.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Or the idea that was floated about ROR to the Habs for 3rd OA and taking Brady T. But the Blues trade decimated this organization. I would have loved if there was a camera in the Blues office so we could see the looks on their faces when Botts agreed to the deal.

Thomas, Dunn and a 1st or Thomas, Kyrou and a 1st is what Darcy would have got.

Montreal reportedly wouldn't do 3OA and that's why it didn't happen. But there was talk that Danault was in the deal -- you know, a really good defensive center that matches up well against top lines and would give the Sabres a duo of those instead of a solo (Larsson).

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Remember when everyone on the mainboard proclaim RoR a overpaid 2c, ahhhh goodtimes

Reactions: sufferer

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Remember when everyone on the mainboard proclaim RoR a overpaid 2c, ahhhh goodtimes

Eh, same thing happened with Myers. He played the same way he did in Buffalo when he got to Winnipeg but all of a sudden, TSN and various others start talking about how good he is... even though nothing had changed. And then after a while, it started to sour and his abilities as a second pairing guy solidified.

Same thing with TSN talking about O'Reilly as a 3C -- hey there Bob! -- and then heaping endless praise on him in St. Louis. McKenzie is one of those guys who sets the tone and the rest follow.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
There's already a built in part of the Sabres fan base that under appreciates Reinhart and often complains about his speed and draft position. It'll be an easy transition for them to turn him into the scapegoat just like they did with ROR.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Eh, same thing happened with Myers. He played the same way he did in Buffalo when he got to Winnipeg but all of a sudden, TSN and various others start talking about how good he is... even though nothing had changed. And then after a while, it started to sour and his abilities as a second pairing guy solidified.

Same thing with TSN talking about O'Reilly as a 3C -- hey there Bob! -- and then heaping endless praise on him in St. Louis. McKenzie is one of those guys who sets the tone and the rest follow.
Lmfao, Bob is the buddah of insider trading
I imagine friedman and those guys bring him offerings and rub his head/belly the week before the deadline/draft.

Think Colonel Kurtz of hockey.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I definitely think the bonus played a role.

But ROR was getting shopped before the trade deadline that season. That gave Botts almost 6 months to get a feel for the market and make a deal. That it came down to scrambling to make a deal hours before the bonus had to be paid was on him.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think it won’t be hard to find someone to take a president or GM job in Buffalo. The Pegulas can get some quality people here.

- Canadian like atmosphere.
- Owners willing to spend
- Hart caliber franchise center
- Future Norris caliber franchise defenseman

The heaviest lifts are in place. Stan Bowman or Dean Lombardi has this team in contention in a couple off seasons.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Greg Wyshynski isn't a fan
The Wysh List: Why the Buffalo Sabres are the NHL's biggest disaster
If they don't retain Botterill, there are two other directions in which I'd support the Sabres going.
  • Scenario No. 1: If the New York Rangers ever allowed Chris Drury to take another job, I think Buffalo hires him in a millisecond as its Joe Sakic/Steve Yzerman conquering hero.
  • Scenario No. 2: Krueger becomes coach/general manager, which we haven't had since Darryl Sutter in Calgary. Look, if anyone could do it, it's that guy.
I don't know if its wise to bring in a guy who has a troubled history (his exit) with this org
Its nothing like Sakic/Yzerman who have strong ties with their former orgs because they won multiple cups & were treated with respect.
Drury was a Sabre for just 3 seasons

Reactions: Techno Allah

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lmfao, Bob is the buddah of insider trading
I imagine friedman and those guys bring him offerings and rub his head/belly the week before the deadline/draft.

Think Colonel Kurtz of hockey.

Wow, that's a visceral and seemingly accurate image.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I definitely think the bonus played a role.

But ROR was getting shopped before the trade deadline that season. That gave Botts almost 6 months to get a feel for the market and make a deal. That it came down to scrambling to make a deal hours before the bonus had to be paid was on him.

This is really frustrating to read no matter how many times it gets pointed out or how much time passes. When you have the choice between a terrible trade or no trade, you always choose no trade. The Sabres/Pegula paying ROR that bonus wouldn't have been the end of the world, but going back and begging for that garbage pile of a return set this team back another few years.

I think it won’t be hard to find someone to take a president or GM job in Buffalo. The Pegulas can get some quality people here.

- Canadian like atmosphere.
- Owners willing to spend
- Hart caliber franchise center
- Future Norris caliber franchise defenseman

The heaviest lifts are in place. Stan Bowman or Dean Lombardi has this team in contention in a couple off seasons.

If Scotty Bowman was willing to be Coach/GM of the Sabres, I think anyone would be willing to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad