But, Who will Fenton take?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
People "justifying" a pick by saying that he was probably ranked higher on Fenton's board isn't really "justifying" it. It's providing a reason that is probably true. It's Fenton himself that has to "justify" it with actual reasons.

Okay.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'd start looking at the guys projected to be picked in the 3rd/4th rounds
Depends... if it's a top 5 pick... look at who's projected top 10-15, if it's a top 10-15 pick, start looking at projected 2nd rounders... if it's later, then look at the 3rd/4th rounds.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Why Newhook?
Gut feeling. Just seems like the type of player Fenton would target. Newhook has a higher ceiling than your typical teens pick. He’s extremely raw but has all the skills of a 1C. The risk is not knowing if his game will transfer well from such a low level of play.

Reactions: AKL

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Gut feeling. Just seems like the type of player Fenton would target. Newhook has a higher ceiling than your typical teens pick. He’s extremely raw but has all the skills of a 1C. The risk is not knowing if his game will transfer well from such a low level of play.
Agreed, I see this as a very risky pick with great upside.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i just cant believe fenton would be stupid enough to go off the board again. not with the aprox #12 pick. newhook seems the most logical. (fills need C & speed / high upside) others maybe kaliyev ; caufield ; brink ; pelletier.

mahnster

Jun 30, 2018
i just cant believe fenton would be stupid enough to go off the board again. not with the aprox #12 pick. newhook seems the most logical. (fills need C & speed / high upside) others maybe kaliyev ; caufield ; brink ; pelletier.

Fool me once ….

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
does newhook playing in a lesser league make him less than the rest though?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Less what?

Presumably less valuable, less good, less of a viable pick?

Didn’t someone post the guys who have come out of the BCHL recently though? And it was a solid list? I can say I felt the same way about Newhook until I watched him play. It’s a lesser league, but he was all over the puck and the ice. He’s extremely comfortable carrying it, passing, shooting. It’s the kind of style I want and that I think we need on the team. It’s just a matter of if he can translate it or not. You summed it up pretty well earlier. Raw, but high ceiling, potential 1C if it translates.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Less what?
less value, my apologies.
Presumably less valuable, less good, less of a viable pick?

Didn’t someone post the guys who have come out of the BCHL recently though? And it was a solid list? I can say I felt the same way about Newhook until I watched him play. It’s a lesser league, but he was all over the puck and the ice. He’s extremely comfortable carrying it, passing, shooting. It’s the kind of style I want and that I think we need on the team. It’s just a matter of if he can translate it or not. You summed it up pretty well earlier. Raw, but high ceiling, potential 1C if it translates.
He does look very comfortable with the puck, saw one end to end goal where he went to retrieve the puck and then just turned on the jets. If he actually has 1C potential that is awesome. I havent watched him play much besides some highlights.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
less value, my apologies.

He does look very comfortable with the puck, saw one end to end goal where he went to retrieve the puck and then just turned on the jets. If he actually has 1C potential that is awesome. I havent watched him play much besides some highlights.
It’s really hard to find game footage of newhook. There’s a few shift by shifts out there. Nonetheless, his skill is obvious. I’ve read several reports that believe he could end up being better than those centers that go in front of him. Then again, he didn’t make the Hlinka team.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
It’s really hard to find game footage of newhook. There’s a few shift by shifts out there. Nonetheless, his skill is obvious. I’ve read several reports that believe he could end up being better than those centers that go in front of him. Then again, he didn’t make the Hlinka team.
The one thing that bugs me is you have all these different leagues so judging them based on points in different leagues is challenging. im hoping it all translates, im confused on him as iv seen his name anywhere from 9-20. not sure anyone has a full grasp on how good this kid can be.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
The one thing that bugs me is you have all these different leagues so judging them based on points in different leagues is challenging. im hoping it all translates, im confused on him as iv seen his name anywhere from 9-20. not sure anyone has a full grasp on how good this kid can be.
Scouting is hard. I think a lot of the time nobody has a good grasp. Playing in like the 8th best junior league in the world makes it that much harder.

Through all my doubts, and I’m still not sure I’m onboard with selecting him, it’s still obvious that his skill is off the charts.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Scouting is hard. I think a lot of the time nobody has a good grasp. Playing in like the 8th best junior league in the world makes it that much harder.

Through all my doubts, and I’m still not sure I’m onboard with selecting him, it’s still obvious that his skill is off the charts.
Im also not fully on board with selecting him, and as high as i am on Lavoie apparently he takes games off so that doesnt really make it an easy pick if its true.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00