OT: But not really

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

So don't be too dismissive of the "OT" prefix.

This is a call not for civilty, but for the purpose of good conversation. And I'll keep it short. HooperDrivestheBoat posted something I thought was important to keep in mind and I wanted to expound on it just a little bit.

When I say NOT for civility, I mean that I don't intend to regulate heated conversations about topics that can naturally lead to high emotion. I think those threads can be very interesting reads and very appealing to take part in if one so inclined to do so. Besides, there is nothing in the rules of the site that say you have to be polite to everyone all the time.

I would humbly request two things (and others can add to this if they'd like):

1) If you disagree with a poster's view/opinion/proposal, however strongly, please attempt to back your argument with reasons for it. "This is just moronic" isn't a positive contribution to a thread - it's inflammatory and steers the conversation into empty, substanceless *****ing.

2) If it's a conversation that you think is invalid or pointless - don't engage in it. If there are enough people who want to be a part of it, it will continue without you. If not, it will die. If it violates the rules of the site, report it and the moderators here will deal with that fairly swiftly. It's counter-intuitive to bump a discussion that you consider irrelevant, just to state how irrelevant it is.

If this is unfair of me, let me know. But I've had my share of people coming to me with "issues" that really needn't exist. And I think if we kept these two points in mind, we SHOULD see a better level of banter. Would anyone disagree that it would make this place a more affable one to visit?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002

So don't be too dismissive of the "OT" prefix.

This is a call not for civilty, but for the purpose of good conversation. And I'll keep it short. HooperDrivestheBoat posted something I thought was important to keep in mind and I wanted to expound on it just a little bit.

When I say NOT for civility, I mean that I don't intend to regulate heated conversations about topics that can naturally lead to high emotion. I think those threads can be very interesting reads and very appealing to take part in if one so inclined to do so. Besides, there is nothing in the rules of the site that say you have to be polite to everyone all the time.

I would humbly request two things (and others can add to this if they'd like):

1) If you disagree with a poster's view/opinion/proposal, however strongly, please attempt to back your argument with reasons for it. "This is just moronic" isn't a positive contribution to a thread - it's inflammatory and steers the conversation into empty, substanceless *****ing.

2) If it's a conversation that you think is invalid or pointless - don't engage in it. If there are enough people who want to be a part of it, it will continue without you. If not, it will die. If it violates the rules of the site, report it and the moderators here will deal with that fairly swiftly. It's counter-intuitive to bump a discussion that you consider irrelevant, just to state how irrelevant it is.

If this is unfair of me, let me know. But I've had my share of people coming to me with "issues" that really needn't exist. And I think if we kept these two points in mind, we SHOULD see a better level of banter. Would anyone disagree that it would make this place a more affable one to visit?

Along with the "this is moronic" I would submit if someone mentions a trade rumor we probably don't need anyone pointing out who has NTC's every single time.

I agree that if you dont like the conversation or dont wish to debate it on it's merits than not worth participating.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Thanks MMB. Anything that improves the quality of discussion here is welcome.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Along with the "this is moronic" I would submit if someone mentions a trade rumor we probably don't need anyone pointing out who has NTC's every single time.

I agree that if you dont like the conversation or dont wish to debate it on it's merits than not worth participating.

Who does that?

That's pure speculation. I don't believe it unless I see it with my own eyes. That's just a rumor. I don't care if 40 sports media stations say it's probably true.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I'm all for it, but good luck

I don't expect all problems to be fixed.

But I've fielded more than few requests (in the last little while) to regulate people just being jerks. And I can't! :laugh:

I actually don't mind if you're a jerk. I just want there to be a conversation along with it. If someone in the "know" posts something they know, that's a conversation a LOT of us appreciate having. If you don't appreciate it, then don't be a part of the conversation.

I think with the way we lost in the Finals this year and with some of the changes made (both additions and subtractions) and the circumstances surrounding everything - as a fanbase, we're unsettled. It's led to a little more animosity than we're used to.

I would hope that with the amount of views I see this thread has received that it will cause SOME to think before they type. Just a bit.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
You and the rest of the Mod team have done all you can do. Not unlike the Bruins did with 19.

It's now up to the individual posters to 'get it'.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
Good post MMB, and another thing Hooper said was something along the lines of "think if you'd say what you're about to type to that person's face". Civility seems to vanish from lots of people once they're behind the keyboard. I know I've been guilty in the past myself. But that motto is a good one to keep in mind.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Good post MMB, and another thing Hooper said was something along the lines of "think if you'd say what you're about to type to that person's face". Civility seems to vanish from lots of people once they're behind the keyboard. I know I've been guilty in the past myself. But that motto is a good one to keep in mind.

I am someone who is extremely comfortable with face-to-face conversation and public speaking. Everything I've said on here, I would say in-person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad