"Bust" tag way overused

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Let's compare them with two of the most notorious busts of all time then:
Nail Yakupov: 55 points in his first 111 games
Alexander Daigle: 88 points in his first 131 games

Laf and Kakko are doing worse than those two did by quite a margin. The term "bust" might be overused on HF, but I'd say that It's looking pretty apt in the case of the guys in your OP.

Joe Thornton: 7 pts in his first 55 games and 48 pts in his first 136 games.

Joe Thornton's a bust.

Nail Yakupov and Alexandre Daigle>>>>Joe Thornton

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Joe Thornton: 7 pts in his first 55 games and 48 pts in his first 136 games.

Joe Thornton's a bust.

Nail Yakupov and Alexandre Daigle>>>>Joe Thornton
Yeah wow, there’s an outlier in the general trend, amazing. That doesn’t change the fact that Laf and Kakko’s performances so far have been extremely underwhelming, and cause for concern. But you knew that already.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Laf and Kakko are doing worse than those two did by quite a margin. The term "bust" might be overused on HF, but I'd say that It's looking pretty apt in the case of the guys in your OP.
Give your head a shake.

Last edited:
Reactions: alasania94

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
True but I've also seen some of the more successful younger players described as powerstuds. To me there's also an important difference between a young stud and a powerstud.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
I think the "bust" over reactions are mostly done by young fans who just don't know their NHL history, and don't realize how many promising players started their career with low production before finally exploding.

Few examples?

Cam Neely
John Leclair
Markus Naslund
Gary Roberts
Shane Doan
Ray Whitney
Keith Primeau
Max Pacioretty
Blake Wheeler

Even all stars like Messier, Shanahan, Nolan and Thornton had a deceiving rookie year.

Reactions: Zenos

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
It usually is in the case of most highly drafted players.
The two players you mentioned above literally contradict what you’re saying here. Those 2 players started well and then fell off. Lots of players have done the opposite and started slower and then figured it out in their early to mid 20s. Calling 18 and 19 year old kids busts is ridiculous especially considering that not very many of their peers are even in the league yet.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The two players you mentioned above literally contradict what you’re saying here. Those 2 players started well and then fell off. Lots of players have done the opposite and started slower and then figured it out in their early to mid 20s. Calling 18 and 19 year old kids busts is ridiculous especially considering that not very many of their peers are even in the league yet.
You mean they started off underwhelming and then busted.

And Lafreniere is statistically the worst performing forward drafted 1st overall since Joe Murphy in 1986.

He's one of the worst performing #1 picks ever.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I think someone posted Kakko has the best 5 on5 stats on the Rangers. Since 50%+ of HFBoards thinks that is where games are won and games should be decided by algorithms how is he a bust?

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln

*ouch*

True bust status is achieved when the player gets traded from the team that drafted him and disappoints on the next team(s) and literally "busts" out of the league.

People are just making a prediction with the NYR guys. Personally I think Kakko is a bigger risk to bust than Lafrenière.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
has a lot to do with ridiculous expectations. Usually fans of a team with a high end draft pick have just endured a season or seasons of mediocre to horrible hockey played by their team. So the ray of hope is this pick. Every fan either wants the next sidney crosby (automatically going to be good no matter what) or a surprise player that was slated to be good and went in the first round but turns out to be much better and puts up numbers right away. The rangers for example had not drafted number 1 overall in the expansion era and i imagine their fans were hoping for a instant superstar type player, rightfully so. Instead they got a guy that will likely be pretty good and will have a long career but he will never be a top 10 player as what is normally expected of a number 1 overall. Now throw in the fact that HFers wants to flame other teams on here and you arrive at "Bust"

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I feel like a lot more of my screen space is wasted on people complaining about people saying 'bust', vs people saying it. Saying that a young player has been disappointing so far is nowhere near calling him a bust, yet over-sensitive fans see it as such.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
It's because there was that stretch where the 1st overall pick was almost always winning the Calder (Matthews, McDavid was injured but still 48 points in 45 games, Ekblad, and Mackinnon) and even the 2 years before that consisted of a 2nd and 3rd overall pick in Landeskog and Huberdeau.

The calder winners now have usually all seasoned in other leagues for 1-3 years before coming over (or more in kaprisov/panarin cases)

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Bust= I took him in fantasy expecting his development to progress based on ??? and now I feel lied to

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
You mean they started off underwhelming and then busted.

And Lafreniere is statistically the worst performing forward drafted 1st overall since Joe Murphy in 1986.

He's one of the worst performing #1 picks ever.
Yakupov put up a 29 goal 53 point pace in his first season as an 18 year old. There is nothing underwhelming about that. That is actually good
and the other guys numbers that you posted are good too. The fans wouldn’t have even been disappointed with those numbers at all back then. Yakupov’s numbers went down rather then up after his first season tho.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I feel like in general people are trying to uncover the negative. Rookie having a good season? Unsustainable! Rookie having a bad season? Bust!

Reactions: alasania94

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I like to spend time during the day and read through these forums, specifically prospects and their development. I'm realizing now that you have 90% of prospects, especially first rounders, that are being titled "busts" before they even play 3 full seasons in the league. What is up with that? Take for example Kakko and Lafreniere, two recent top prospects that have been getting a lot of heat for starting off slowly. Both thrown into the NHL before any seasoning time versus adults. (College or AHL time)

Kakko: 24g, 30a, 54 points - 151 games
Lafreniere: 20g, 12a, 32 points - 96 games

At first the stats don't seem great but i think we often forget that players reach their peak in the NHL at ages 23-24 so how are we to call recently turned 20 year olds "busts" playing in the best league in the world when they're not fully matured or acclimated to the new level of competition? We've had plenty of top 1o picks in recent years that have had slow starts and great careers after 4-5 seasons in the NHL and this not including season 2017 and up as those players have yet to play 4-5 seasons: Nash, Bouwmeester, Suter, Van Riemsdyk, Brassard, E. Kane, Hedman, Schenn, Brodin, Seguin, Dumba, Johansen, Nurse, Huberdeau, Scheifele, Couturier, Barkov, Lindholm, Ekblad, Bennett, Meier, Puljujarvi to name a few all started relatively slowly and picked up their play after 3-4 seasons in the NHL.

The worst part of it all is that most of these home posters ask for these players to be traded for lesser value parts. These guys are 20 years old. haven't even played 2 full season in the NHL. We'll see how things play out for the above mentioned duo but this seems to be the case all around when it comes to prospects and it doesn't make any sense.
Didn't read through all of this.

IMO, a bust is defined by being
1) a lottery pick.
2) not good enough to be an NHL regular.

Basically, if a team missed the playoffs, and and they didn't even get a free depth player to show for the season, then that's a bust. You also have to wait a few years before judging a guy.

So, the guys I would consider busts since say 2010:
  • Gormley
  • McIlrath
  • Siemens
  • Murphy
  • Basetschi
  • Reinhart
  • Pouliot
  • Koekkoek
  • Morin
  • Dal Colle
  • Ritchie
  • Honka
  • Nylander
I wouldn't even consider somebody like Yakupov a bust because he could be an NHLer, he'd just rather play in Russia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad