Rumor: Busier trade season possible

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Which is why he'll be foaming at the mouth thinking of all the players they can be paid to acquire, whose cap hit is higher than their real salaries. There are plenty of those out there.
I'm fully aware of that but he's so cheap that he refused to pay his staff during the pandemic lockdown. the league had to intervene on that one

If he can refuse to pay a few hundred k's imagine how 2M-4M feel like to him

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Ya, I think being patient in a market like this will pay large dividends, especially for those teams that have cap space.

Didn't know where to stick this, but an article from TSN yesterday had some interesting info about the current market conditions for players.

"The message was simple yet still jaw-dropping. When asked to size up the trade market as a whole, this is how one NHL general manager framed it on Wednesday:

The number of franchise-changing players available or being talked about each day is astonishing,” the GM said. “It’s just that no one has any room for them.

There are now more than 50 names in play on the latest TSN Trade Bait board.

Each team has an incredible number of balls in the air between pushing to clear cap space, managing internal budgets, being unable to afford restricted free agents and juggling the free agent market ......."

So, as the article says, between teams needing to dump players, RFAs, UFAs, there is a glut of players available on the market now. Most teams first challenge is to try to find ways of dumping players to clear cap space.

While this info is not intended to focus on every single player that may be available, its definitely a factor to keep in mind when discussing trade proposals for the majority of players and teams. Some of the proposals that push big returns neglect the actual, current, market conditions.

I’ve said some stuff on other threads

1 there is a glut in goalie UFA nmarket between these availabke this year and next year and Seattle drafting some and flipping them. Using Holtby as sn example he might get say a 2 yr $3M per contract instead of something like in the $30M+ zone.

2. I’m surprised given a flat cap there wasn’t someCBOs givrn out.

3. Seattle could make a killing on picking the 8 or so $5M+ players they pick and get picks and prospects for taking them.

4. What I haven’t looked at is total available cap space vs what RFAs/UFAs expect to get then see what they end up getting. Who’s the biggest loser

6. Because of no cap change potentially the next 2-3 yrs, teams can just look at this year bust have 3-5 yr plans.

7 more ELC players get bridges instead of 6-8 yr long contracts,

Something that happened in nfl and baseball is the avg joe playerwho is a veteran gets queezed out where his price is too high that teams opt for youth.

In the NHL this could affect players looking for $2.5M-$5.5M in salarywhere a team sees their production and say I’d rather go with youth whose ceiling is above this guy but his first couple years might be a step below the guy but when factoring in salary its not a bad option.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It seems odd that we have such direct borderline tampering rumors as it is.

"Team A making room for _____", etc.

"So did Yzerman tell the grandma to tell her hair dresser to tell her niece to tell my girlfriend to tell me how much money he's got because he knows I'm tight with Torey Krug?!"

tenor.gif

Reactions: Morrison

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Waddell for the Canes said the same thing. He's getting calls from multiple GMs every day.

I do wonder if most of it happens after the Draft. Many GMs could be holding tight to their picks in such a weird Draft year. I'm sure everyone has their sleepers.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think that you can safely remove Ottawa from that list... Uncle Eugene is poor and cheap

He can wait and get players at a much reduced salary which I'm sure he wouldn't mind and achieves his ultimate goal.

Need to factor in market conditions which effect all teams.

Using theoretical (guesses) numbers to illustrate the concept, here are few examples:
  • $5 million/year players go for $3 m, many with short terms,
  • $3 m AAV players go for $1.5 m AAV, short duration contract
  • Salary dump players (players well past their prime with large contracts either in terms of term, $s, or both) get traded with a significant asset stapled to them.
Even poorer teams with less resources can take advantage of this market easily. In essence, some deals could/should fall into his lap despite his tendencies.

Last edited:

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
He can wait and get players at a much reduced salary which I'm sure he wouldn't mind and achieves his ultimate goal.

Need to factor in market conditions which effect all teams.

Using theoretical (guesses) numbers to illustrate the concept - $5 million/year players go for $3 m, many with short terms, $3 m AAV players go for $1.5 m AAV, etc.

Salary dump players (players well past their prime with large contracts either in terms of term, $s, or both) get traded with a significant asset stapled to them. Even poorer teams with less resources can take advantage of this market easily. In essence, some deals could/should fall into his lap despite his tendencies.
yup, I'm aware of these players (assuming 2020/21 bunuses are fully paid)... a list that a dude did in a OTT thread on capfriendly that I save a few weeks back. Contract in effect season 2020/21-2022/23

Eugene is still Eugene

imgpsh_fullsize_anim

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
yup, I'm aware of these players (assuming 2020/21 bunuses are fully paid)... a list that a dude did in a OTT thread on capfriendly that I save a few weeks back.

Eugene is still Eugene

imgpsh_fullsize_anim

I've seen a list that you might be referring to. It was short and no doubt did not express the volume of players available I'd think. I also think that folks haven't really incorporated that into their thinking based on some the proposals I've seen. Reaching cap floor will be easy in this market given the glut of players available.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Waddell for the Canes said the same thing. He's getting calls from multiple GMs every day.

I do wonder if most of it happens after the Draft. Many GMs could be holding tight to their picks in such a weird Draft year. I'm sure everyone has their sleepers.

I think it will start at the draft, some teams need to get under the cap and they might use picks as sweetners.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think it will start at the draft, some teams need to get under the cap and they might use picks as sweetners.

I don’t think as many will happen at the draft because there aren’t face to face.

There will be pick trades that could involve players like tem trading up in 1st where it’s player + later 1st for higher First or they pick in early 20s. None of top 15 fell so they trade pick for more immediate help.

Twain

Jul 1, 2019
So they say and yet some of the biggest news of the past week have been Josh Brown for a 4th and Sam Gagner’s one year extension.

Reactions: Morrison

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
LMAO, we hear this same line every year. Just like every year there are top 10 picks in the draft ''in serious play'' and then none of them ever get traded.

Historically there were more trades before or at the draft or a day or two after. . Then free agent focus through July 3. Then some trades occur, But only a few. Most of those after the draft are minor trades. There might be 1-2 that involve high profile players. We will see how this p,as out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad