Confirmed with Link: BU's Ahti Oksanen Signs AHL Deal w/ Wolfpack

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I bet he'll be upgraded to an NHL deal here sooner rather than later, if his AHL play justifies it.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The link says it's a rumor.

thats just a disclaimer cause its been reported in finland but hasn't been officially announced yet. i'm sure they will get around to announcing it in like 3 months

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
but with the rangers or another team? lol

Well, if not us then someone else. I'd like to think that we'd be the first to call him.

The fact that Oksanen gets an AHL deal, but Chapie gets an NHL deal, is pretty poor scouting.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
The thing I am most excited about for this coming season is all of the new competition coming in to training camp. There is bound to be a surprise or two with these college guys coming in, as well as Euro signings.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Wasn't this guy a somewhat highly sought after College FA and aren't we risking another team signing him to an NHL deal?

If he's not getting any NHL deal and had to settle for an AHL deal, I highly doubt he was as "highly sought after" as you may think.

Yes, we'd be risking him signing an NHL deal with another team, but he chose to sign with the Wolf Pack for a reason. He's been to the Rangers camps.

I'm sure the Rangers have the inside track to him, and he probably wants a chance with the Rangers anyway.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well, if not us then someone else. I'd like to think that we'd be the first to call him.

The fact that Oksanen gets an AHL deal, but Chapie gets an NHL deal, is pretty poor scouting.

Well I suppose you could argue Chapie wasn't worth an NHL deal, but only time will tell there. However, none of the other NHL teams though Oksanen was worth an ELC. If our scouting of Oksanen was poor, it was just as poor or worse for 29 other teams.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Well I suppose you could argue Chapie wasn't worth an NHL deal, but only time will tell there. However, none of the other NHL teams though Oksanen was worth an ELC. If our scouting of Oksanen was poor, it was just as poor or worse for 29 other teams.

Bingo

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Oksanen has some skating issues--speed and first step. He could be a bull if he can overcome them. I don't see him as a defenseman--he'll be a winger. Good signing.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think some of the shine wore off this year.

It's not that Oksanen had a bad season, so much as he didn't quite have THE season some expected.

There's still some skating and overall speed concerns, and now there's a little bit of doubt about offensive upside.

There just didn't seem to be that "next level" in him. At 23, there has to be doubts as to whether or not it's there.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Nice depth signing for The organisation.
Like I said somewhere Else, Brass is more interested in Smith than Okasanen and expect he will be signed soon. Not sure Why The delay has been so long, but looking at many New faces coming into The org this offseason. The draft is in one week. Still kind of slow (minus our 2nd dealt to Chicago from Carolina)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Nice depth signing for The organisation.
Like I said somewhere Else, Brass is more interested in Smith than Okasanen and expect he will be signed soon. Not sure Why The delay has been so long, but looking at many New faces coming into The org this offseason. The draft is in one week. Still kind of slow (minus our 2nd dealt to Chicago from Carolina)

He's been recovering from his shoulder surgery. I imagine once he's ready to go, he'll sign.

Why not a nhl entry level deal if he's good ?

29 other teams didn't think he was good enough for an ELC, sooooooooooooo...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Girardi and Marchessault were two examples of players the Rangers originally signed to AHL deals. Just because there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in Oksanen now doesn't mean he's not going to turn into a good NHL player.

He was at their development camp last summer. The Rangers must at least like some of his game.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
He is a shooter. Like Gropp, Tambellini, Joly, Haggerty, etc. There's a pattern here.

He has a great shot, maybe he tried too hard this past season. I saw alot of off balanced shots, shots from bad angles go wide, shots right into the goalies chest, his followup to rebounds were poor and he was weak going to the net. Outside the pp, he was disappointing.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Since its an AHL deal, we do risk the chance of losing him, but in the end signing a young prospect for the minor club isn't a bad idea.

But he can't sign an NHL contract and just up and leave the Wolf Pack during the season right (obviously breaking his AHL contract)?. So if he plays well, we just sign him mid season before anyone else has the chance to. Unless i'm wrong about how it works.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00