Prospect Info: Burying The Over-ripening Myth of Detroit

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
A lot of you know I have a major issue with those claiming that prospects need to be 'over-ripened' and that I push back heavily against those claiming the Red Wings did it with a lot of great success. I came across this video about the demise of the Red Wings after their last Cups and it pretty much clears up that myth.

When you look through this you'll note that in the latter years of success, instead of being able to rely on all that over-ripened youth that instead the Red Wings tried to rely on free agent signings like Stephen Weiss and the simple reason for that is that the over-ripened talent DID NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE in the NHL.

I hope that those who watch this will finally put to bed this specious argument with no basis in historical fact. They drafted great Europeans and Russians in later rounds when NO ONE ELSE would do so, and they reaped the benefits. But you'd be hard pressed to name difference makers from that over-ripened pool. They were kept in the minors for ONE REASON only, they weren't good enough to play significant minutes in the NHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad