Burrows to meet with the NHL over Tootoo incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
What in the ****.

This is seriously not a distraction we needed right now.

:sigh

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
NHL: "Someone said something mean to another guy in the penalty box? How is that worth our time? Seriously we have more importa- wait, it was Burrows? Hey hey, freebie chance to make some sort of political point! Okay, call him in."

Dain Bramaged

Mar 29, 2013
Vancouver
I was pretty sure that the NHL said they weren't investigating this, then they reverse the decision due to the amount of saltiness from Tootoo. New Jersey even won that game too :laugh:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Curious, as the NHL had apparently already reviewed the incident and decided nothing else needed to come of it. Something's changed their mind.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
By watching the interview it appears that Burrows just assumed the NHL dismissed it, at least that's what I gathered from it.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
On one hand I'm a 'sticks & stones' guy. On the other hand I also feel there is such a thing as crossing the line... but that would have to be very sickening stuff said for me to feel that way. I don't like Tootoo as a player but I have never known him to come out publicly crying about what others have said to him. Makes me think Burrows let his emotions get the better of him and may have crossed that line. I wouldn't put it past Burrows because we all know he likes to talk. Either way, it isn't for me to judge Burrows. That is up to the league and hopefully they're able to do so with everything open and honest.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I agree with the basis of your point, MikeK. It's definitely possible to cross the line when it comes to trash talking. I don't know if that's what happened here or not, but it's definitely happened in the sport before.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
The only thing I can think of as "crossing the line", at least for the NHL, would be racism.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I agree with the basis of your point, MikeK. It's definitely possible to cross the line when it comes to trash talking. I don't know if that's what happened here or not, but it's definitely happened in the sport before.

Yeah I like Burrows as much as anyone but it is strange that the league took it seriously enough to address it like this. Makes me think what was said was really bad. I know Burrows said he didn't cross the line (didn't mention his brother or any sort of racism) but what else could it be? I seriously hope it was neither of those things. That's impossible to defend.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
What annoys me the most is how happy and smug people on the main boards are. That and the fact that as soon as Burrows is cleared (if he is), the thread will be locked and out of sight.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Soooo the nhl allows grown men to punch each other in the face but if one player calls another a bad name they get concerned?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
What annoys me the most is how happy and smug people on the main boards are. That and the fact that as soon as Burrows is cleared (if he is), the thread will be locked and out of sight.

Is that really what annoys you most?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Assuming HiggsBroson got it right from his brother that it wasn't any of the obviously "really bad" things, what else is there, even?

And while I think all trash talk is unsportsmanlike and generally idiotic -- as in literally all of it should be embarrassing for adults -- I agree that it's nonsensical to say that words (even really bad stuff) are worse than punching someone, yet it's like this ridiculous consensus in hockey culture.

I'd much rather someone insult me (especially in the context of a sporting event where he obviously is just trying to rattle me, not, like, fomenting hatred among the masses) than ****ing injure me. The law sees it that way too, for a reason.

Dain Bramaged

Mar 29, 2013
Vancouver
On one hand I'm a 'sticks & stones' guy. On the other hand I also feel there is such a thing as crossing the line... but that would have to be very sickening stuff said for me to feel that way. I don't like Tootoo as a player but I have never known him to come out publicly crying about what others have said to him. Makes me think Burrows let his emotions get the better of him and may have crossed that line. I wouldn't put it past Burrows because we all know he likes to talk. Either way, it isn't for me to judge Burrows. That is up to the league and hopefully they're able to do so with everything open and honest.

That's awfully optimistic with regards to the NHL and Burrows... Auger?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'd much rather someone insult me (especially in the context of a sporting event where he obviously is just trying to rattle me, not, like, fomenting hatred among the masses) than ****ing injure me. The law sees it that way too, for a reason.
That's not how the league operates.

Not that I think the league is worse off for the likes of Sean Avery no longer being in the NHL; but I find it funny he got suspended for a classless comment while guys like Dustin Brown actually injure people on the ice (and get off scott free).

Dain Bramaged

Mar 29, 2013
Vancouver
Assuming HiggsBroson got it right from his brother that it wasn't any of the obviously "really bad" things, what else is there, even?

And while I think all trash talk is unsportsmanlike and generally idiotic -- as in literally all of it should be embarrassing for adults -- I agree that it's nonsensical to say that words (even really bad stuff) are worse than punching someone, yet it's like this ridiculous consensus in hockey culture.

Just wanted to say that you can be sued pretty easily if you post libel, defamatory remarks, etc... But I get your reasoning and generally agree.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
That's not how the league operates.

Not that I think the league is worse off for the likes of Sean Avery no longer being in the NHL; but I find it funny he got suspended for a classless comment while guys like Dustin Brown actually injure people on the ice (and get off scott free).

This, it's like bizarro world or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad