Burmi's role on our team

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I really think burmi needs a shot on our top line.he is one of the the hardest working players on our team,he is definitely our most talented player but he has never had a shot with our best players.i would like to see him line up with wheeler and Ladd.he played with wellwood and Kane last year but Kane does absolutely nothing for his line mates.i think burmi and wheeler would work good together burmi seems like he has worked on his face offs too ,a week point from last year.he has some chemistry with the old slow men on his line but I really think they won't allow him to use his speed to his full advantage.little is a good player but he is only a 3rd line centre on a good team.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I love Burmi, but he was the weakest link on that line last year.

A second or third line role is fine until he earns more. I like where he is, but I would also be cool with him and Welly switching spots.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think Burmi's role this year is to play a defensive role on the 3rd line and PK. Both of which I think he does very well at a young age.

I'm still high on Burmi (and Noel is too from an article a week or so ago), and think that the offense will come. I don't know if he'll ever been a top offensive guy (I would bet probably not), but I think it's quite possible for Burmi to turn into a Jere Lehtinen type. Elite defense, two way play, and decent offense. A guy like that would be key on a playoff run one day IMO.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Burmistrov TOI: 11:15 SOG:0

That stats needs to improve before anyone can make a legitimate argument that he needs to be on the top line.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Burmi needs more ice this year and if a guy with that much talent got PP time he would deliver! He was our best player last year in the first 15 games and if we just let him loose he would not let us down, but everyone wants him in the d-role (which he's good at) and that's holding him back from being a beast on offense.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Burmi is in the absolute perfect spot for now this season. I think he will really benefit from playing with the USSR line and it will help him continue to mature and develop. I believe it is only a matter of time until his offensive game blossoms but for now let him be part of one of the top 3rd lines in hockey. They will get their points as they get use to each other.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I think Burmi needs more ice this year and if a guy with that much talent got PP time he would deliver! He was our best player last year in the first 15 games and if we just let him loose he would not let us down, but everyone wants him in the d-role (which he's good at) and that's holding him back from being a beast on offense.

He was given that opportunity with the Caps and still wasn't able to do much.

Still a very raw player, we saw it last year and we're still seeing it. Other than Wellwood, there's no one in our top 6 he can actually outperform.

I think the 3rd line is a good opportunity for him right now. It's not putting a heavy load on a young kids shoulders and he'll get to refine his decision making with two puck possession players. Win/Win if you ask me. He gets to develop the areas of his game that he needs work on, while also contributing to the team in the area he's already strongest (defensively).

He's also someone that I think needs a good guiding hand and playing with two veteran guys who speak his language should only help him develop.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg

Yup, this is my thinking as well. I think Noel should give him a little freedom offensively as I'd hate to see him develop into a pure shutdown kind of guy. By all means keep him on the PK but give him some time with more offensive players. Perhaps stick him out there with Kane and Jokinen for a few shifts and see what happens.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'm fine with Burmistrov being used how he currently is. I'm sure with injuries in our top6 he'll get his time. Right now he's being used in the best possible way for his skills, given all the rest of the teams skills.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm fine with Burmistrov being used how he currently is. I'm sure with injuries in our top6 he'll get his time. Right now he's being used in the best possible way for his skills, given all the rest of the teams skills.

Good point, I forgot to mention the fact he'll get his time with injuries.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm fine with Burmi where he is, but wouldn't mind Noel throwing him between Kane and Wheeler when we need a change of momentum and some life. Three very high energy, skilled players.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He was one of our worst forwards on the pp last year and didn't do a heck of a lot with the pp on the Ice Caps. He has a long way to go before he's able to contribute on the pp at an NHL level. He was also given a massive push at the end of last season in the top 6 and failed to take advantage of it so I really don't have an issue with the coaching staff starting him in the bottem 6 this year. I agree that he is currently in a role that suits his game atm and I have seen signs of simplified play and better offensive decision making but he isn't cut out for a top 6/pp role yet.

Hansen Brother

Jul 30, 2011
In TO, from Keystone
One of the problems with rushing players into the NHL is it destroys confidence. He is now in a role now that he is good at, playing with two guys who we think will really help his game. Let him get his mojo back, give him a chance to succeed. His offense will come along by itself. Besides, Antropov and Poni aren't plugs, Burmi should still be able to put up points with them.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
One of the problems with rushing players into the NHL is it destroys confidence. He is now in a role now that he is good at, playing with two guys who we think will really help his game. Let him get his mojo back, give him a chance to succeed. His offense will come along by itself. Besides, Antropov and Poni aren't plugs, Burmi should still be able to put up points with them.

Absolutely agree with this. He is exactly where he needs to be and if we augment his 3rd line C role with PP and PK time he will have lots of opportunity to grow and flourish without undue pressure.
One of the challenges the team has this year is a plethora of centres with nowhere to put them. The only way to get Scheifele (sheltered) 2nd line C tryout-time would be to move Little to Jokinen's RW and leave Burmi as (unsheltered) 3rd line C, playing the tough minutes. In fact, I am more and more convinced that this is the way to go, at least for the next few games. Alas, no one ever listens to me!

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Absolutely agree with this. He is exactly where he needs to be and if we augment his 3rd line C role with PP and PK time he will have lots of opportunity to grow and flourish without undue pressure.
One of the challenges the team has this year is a plethora of centres with nowhere to put them. The only way to get Scheifele (sheltered) 2nd line C tryout-time would be to move Little to Jokinen's RW and leave Burmi as (unsheltered) 3rd line C, playing the tough minutes. In fact, I am more and more convinced that this is the way to go, at least for the next few games. Alas, no one ever listens to me!

I can not figure why many want to give Burmi a chance on the PP. He has great individual skills but is not a goal scorer and not a playmaker. Scheifele should be the one given an opportunity on the PP.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Yup, this is my thinking as well. I think Noel should give him a little freedom offensively as I'd hate to see him develop into a pure shutdown kind of guy. By all means keep him on the PK but give him some time with more offensive players. Perhaps stick him out there with Kane and Jokinen for a few shifts and see what happens.

Noel spent a chunk of last year begging Burmi to take more chances offensively. His commitment to defense and safe play is directly at odds with where he needs to get offensively. More experience will lead to more confidence and he will figure out how to better pick his spots.

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
I personally don't like his role on a team and how he is used and developed by Jets. Ever since Noel took over this team Burmi is doing not what he suppose to do. This of you who says he will get going offensively obviously didn't see the kid before the draft. He was loaded offensively. I believe his offensive skills have degraded. Just a reminder Burmi was drafted before Mikael Granlund, Tarasenko and Kuznetsov. And I don't buy the stories about poor choice or bad analyzing skills of scout. Especially for this guys coming from Europe. He clearly looked better choice especially offensively. Now it is about developing players.
Tarasenko (I'm so jealous now) waited for his opportunity to play in NHL and to play in top-6, STL didn't force him to play on 4-th line, they let him go to KHL and enjoy hockey.
Granlund - you think he can't play on 3-rd or 4-th line of Minnesota? I bet he could, but instead he was playing in his home country enjoying hockey. Same goes for Silfverberg
Kuznetsov - hasn't played a game in NHL. But somehow I feel he will be a real deal and if comes to play for Washington it won't be to play on 3-rd or 4-th line

P.S I have exactly same opinion about Mark Scheifele, you either let him play where he belongs or let him go back to Colts. He will not reach hi potential playing with Thorburn and Slater

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
If he can put it together I can see him being on our second line, but its tough to say whether he'll be at center or on the wing.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I personally don't like his role on a team and how he is used and developed by Jets. Ever since Noel took over this team Burmi is doing not what he suppose to do. This of you who says he will get going offensively obviously didn't see the kid before the draft. He was loaded offensively. I believe his offensive skills have degraded. Just a reminder Burmi was drafted before Mikael Granlund, Tarasenko and Kuznetsov. And I don't buy the stories about poor choice or bad analyzing skills of scout. Especially for this guys coming from Europe. He clearly looked better choice especially offensively. Now it is about developing players.
Tarasenko (I'm so jealous now) waited for his opportunity to play in NHL and to play in top-6, STL didn't force him to play on 4-th line, they let him go to KHL and enjoy hockey.
Granlund - you think he can't play on 3-rd or 4-th line of Minnesota? I bet he could, but instead he was playing in his home country enjoying hockey. Same goes for Silfverberg
Kuznetsov - hasn't played a game in NHL. But somehow I feel he will be a real deal and if comes to play for Washington it won't be to play on 3-rd or 4-th line

P.S I have exactly same opinion about Mark Scheifele, you either let him play where he belongs or let him go back to Colts. He will not reach hi potential playing with Thorburn and Slater

Very fair and good post.

however I will say watching Burmi play today his speed and decision making looked much better than last year. I don't think they (Thrashers and Jets) ruined Burmi they just didn't pick the fastest path for his development. His skill set looked dynamic today IMHO.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

It's too bad the Jets weren't afforded the same luxury as your other examples that got to develop as the Thrashers rushed Burmi and forced the Jets' hands on his development.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Very fair and good post.

however I will say watching Burmi play today his speed and decision making looked much better than last year. I don't think they (Thrashers and Jets) ruined Burmi they just didn't pick the fastest path for his development. His skill set looked dynamic today IMHO.
Agreed.

He looked aggressive and decisive offensively.

I would be beyond giddy if he and Kane turned out to be the Jets best players thus year.

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
I agree with Zhamnov10.

Lets face it, the Jets are a longshot to win the Stanley Cup - so let's use these years to develop our young players. Wellwood & Jokinen are good players, but given their ages and short contract lengths, I think it would be move beneficial to the Jets long term if Burmistrov & Sheifele were put in a more offensive role, and given powerplay time. Not saying they are 100% ready, but at some point, they need the experience, and the only way to learn is by playing in those situations.

Almost every young player struggles at first, but most high draft picks end up succeeding. Sometimes, the olders guys just need to get out of the way for the younger guys to TRULY be given an opportunity. History shows this over and over; a few examples:

1) The Sedins were stuck at 40 point a year or less until Naslund / Morrison / Bertuzzi finaly lost their powerplay time. The very first season the Sedins where given 1st powerplay minutes (as opposed to 2nd line duty) their points exploded to 80+ per year. Unbelievably, they had to play nearly 7 years as 2nd fiddle until their coaches realized they were better than their 'annointed' top line

2) Claude Giroux was up and down between the AHL and Flyers, scoring a modest 40 points per year or less. Finally the coach give him 1st powerplay duty (after 5 seasons) and his points exploded to 70+. With his emergence, they got rid of Carter / Richards, and his points jumped to 90+

3) James Neal was up and down between the AHL and the Stars, never given enough ice time to put up any kind of numbers. A trade to the Pens, some powerplay time, and you have yourself an 80 point player

This list is almost endless. Joffrey Lupul getting no PP time until he gets to Toronto, and now he's a point a game player. Marty St. Louis traded by Calgary, Pominville in Buffalo finally getting an opportunity, this year watch for Cam Atkinson and Anisimov in Columbus ... it really goes on and on ...

You simply cannot compare players by their point totals in the NHL without looking at powerplay time. It's almost impossible to get 50 points in this league if you're not first unit powerplay. The fact that Ladd and Little were only in the mid-50's (point wise) yet got OVER 200 MINUTES on the powerplay last year speaks volumes on how unproductive they really were.

A little long winded, but given Burmistrov's ability to carry the puck (we might actually gain zone every once and a while), speed (we might recover a dump in), and his remarkable ability to win battles along the boards and create space, I CAN'T SEE HOW THE POWERPLAY WOULD NOT BENEFIT by having him out there. And, if he ever became a regular on the powerplay, his point totals would rise rapidly, as would his confidence, which would translate to even more even strength points.

Last thing, don't tell you "you need to earn your powerplay time". Wheeler, Little and Ladd were our 1st powerplay unit from game 1 to game 82 last year despite having a painfully slow start (Wheeler took 20 games to score a goal). They were given 20 games to "click" ... I would love to see Burmistrov (or Scheifele) be given a 20 game committment of 1st powerplay duty without fear that one mistake will relegate them off the unit completely. Only then could we truly tell if they would improve our powerplay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad