Bunting’s Next Contract

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Anything over 3.5 tell him to f*** off

Dude just got benched for kerfoot

I don't dislike him but giving him 5 mil a year would be dumb
I agee but there’s no reason to crap on him because we believe we can’t afford to pay him , especially based on a rumour about what he may be looking for .

Also the guys made nothing so how anyone can blame him for wanting to secure himself financially is beyond me .

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't believe a word Kyper says, he's almost always wrong.

I do want to keep Bunting.

That being said on the INCREDIBLY off chance that Kyper is right, and he's probably not, you can absolutely replace Bunting and you can do it for less than 5 million, Bunting himself has already proven that when he replaced Hyman.

There have already been rumours of Vancouver buying out Garland, which I think would be incredibly stupid but that's besides the point.

If Vancouver did that you could probably get him for about 3 million, or you could just trade for him and still pay him less than the 5 million you'd pay Bunting.

If you don't like that option use that 2023 1st to acquire another player.

You could use that 5 million to sign a free agent.

You don't need to pay Bunting 5 million a year.

and again my preference is to keep Bunting but he does tend to do stupid things.

Here is another option use that money to sign ROR

I can't believe how disliked Bunting seems to be. Is it just people assuming they won't be able to afford him and pre-emptively trashing him? Fitting in along side your top players and making them better isn't as easy as it seems, such as Nick Ritchie and Joe Thornton.

He's 11th in 5v5 points in the last two seasons, tied with Leon Draisaitl. He's also absolutely beloved by the team and brings an edge that nobody else on the team has. This is a player you bring back unless he wants a stupid contract

He's a good player, my preference is to keep Bunting but he does stupid shit consistently

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kypreos doesn't strike me as someone whose going to have a lot of internal sources with a Dubas'/Shanny/Keefe front office, so I'd be skeptical of any internal rumors he's floating, unless Bunting's agent is playing media games which i also doubt.

If he DOES want 5 mil, no thanks, he's not going to deliver that type of on ice value to the Leafs. He's great, but he's a passenger on his line, not a play driver and is replaceable.

I'd see what kind of discount he'd be willing to give on in the aav on a 6-7 year term deal that's front loaded.

I could see an argument for just sliding the Kerfoot contract over to him but at $5 million he would be competing with ROR, and I think I'm a ROR guy.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
I could see an argument for just sliding the Kerfoot contract over to him but at $5 million he would be competing with ROR, and I think I'm a ROR guy.
No way we give bunting 5m.

While trying to resign O'Reilly for around the same number.

Buntings value should be in the 3.5 range. 4 mill at the most.

And figure out the term, won't matter. We wouldn't mind bunting at 3.5m in the future.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No way we give bunting 5m.

While trying to resign O'Reilly for around the same number.

Buntings value should be in the 3.5 range. 4 mill at the most.

And figure out the term, won't matter. We wouldn't mind bunting at 3.5m in the future.

The other thing Bunting would have to work out leaving Toronto is how other teams value him. I don't get the sense that he's a super respected player from the Calder conversations, or really as a standalone player outside of being a Matthews, Marner product.

So let's not get into a bidding war with ourselves and if worst comes, trust the moneyball department.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I can't believe how disliked Bunting seems to be. Is it just people assuming they won't be able to afford him and pre-emptively trashing him? Fitting in along side your top players and making them better isn't as easy as it seems, such as Nick Ritchie and Joe Thornton.

He's 11th in 5v5 points in the last two seasons, tied with Leon Draisaitl. He's also absolutely beloved by the team and brings an edge that nobody else on the team has. This is a player you bring back unless he wants a stupid contract

Though are people actively disliking him here, or just apprehensive about paying him above a certain level?

Yes he has chemistry with the top players, which I do agree is harder to achieve than many presume - but he also hasn't been capable of driving offense/play away from any of them.

The question it seems is what is the number when it comes "stupid" contract - and/or is it better to invest in ROR instead

Reactions: TML Dynasty

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Though are people actively disliking him here, or just apprehensive about paying him above a certain level?

Yes he has chemistry with the top players, which I do agree is harder to achieve than many presume - but he also hasn't been capable of driving offense/play away from any of them.

The question it seems is what is the number when it comes "stupid" contract - and/or is it better to invest in ROR instead

For me It's not even a question sign ROR.

Reason being that there are going to be other options replace Bunting.

Vancouver has, Garland, Boesser and Miller, although I'd probably stay away from Miller.

Florida is probably going to make changes meaning one of Duclair, Bennett or Reinhart is likely to shake lose.

Who is on the free agent list?

Does Buffalo move Olofsson?

Bunting would be nice to keep.

Bunting isn't NEEDED

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If they give him a contract close to what they refused to give Hyman, it would be an absolute joke.

Depends.

Hyman signed for 7 years after 2 major knee injuries. He still has a long time to go. He also signed when we had no idea when the pandemic was over and cap was going up.

I want nothing to do with bunting at 5.5 x7 but it’s not the same

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
People thinking O'Rielly is going to take $5M is laughable. He's going to want Kadri money, at the very least. Expect $7M x 7 years easily. Bunting will get $5M x 5 years elsewhere at min. So just like with Hyman, we have a decision to make.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
People thinking O'Rielly is going to take $5M is laughable. He's going to want Kadri money, at the very least. Expect $7M x 7 years easily. Bunting will get $5M x 5 years elsewhere at min. So just like with Hyman, we have a decision to make.
You claiming to know what OReilly is gonna want is laughable.

I’m still hoping he doesn’t rinse us. Be nice for someone actually good to take less money for the benefit of the team and I hope it rubs off on our superstars.

Bunts is a fun player to have but if he hadn’t been stapled to our top guys I’m not sure there’s be much value. I worry about the liability with the whining…..even tho he does get forked over by the refs. I worry about the scrums he used to cause dragging in AM and MM who have no place in them. But I appreciate his passion!
To me he is replaceable but perhaps there’s room if he doesn’t want too much and the rest of the contracts work out. OReilly is my clear choice if I needed to make one in a vacuum.

Reactions: TMLAM34

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
You claiming to know what OReilly is gonna want is laughable.

I’m still hoping he doesn’t rinse us. Be nice for someone actually good to take less money for the benefit of the team and I hope it rubs off on our superstars.

Bunts is a fun player to have but if he hadn’t been stapled to our top guys I’m not sure there’s be much value. I worry about the liability with the whining…..even tho he does get forked over by the refs. I worry about the scrums he used to cause dragging in AM and MM who have no place in them. But I appreciate his passion!
To me he is replaceable but perhaps there’s room if he doesn’t want too much and the rest of the contracts work out. OReilly is my clear choice if I needed to make one in a vacuum.
O'Rielly has always pushed to for the Max in his deals. In COL he had 2 contract disputes. With one going to arbitration. Unless he's changed and wanting to sign for a hometown discount, he will be seeking big money on his retirement deal.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
O'Rielly has always pushed to for the Max in his deals. In COL he had 2 contract disputes. With one going to arbitration. Unless he's changed and wanting to sign for a hometown discount, he will be seeking big money on his retirement deal.
Fack, that’s certainly a wrinkle. Valid point.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He also signed an offer sheet I believe with Calgary.
ROR is definitely a Mercenary.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Max cap hit at $3.5M per year (take Kerfoot's money), anything more than that and he can pound sand. At times he has looked like a player that can be the straw that stir's the drink (ie: get the talented players going) but at other teams he looks as lifeless and ineffective as everyone else on the team.

Bunting needs to be a player who is willing to "through the wall" on every shift (Leafs need a couple of more of these types as well) and if he is not doing that than he can wear another NHL jersey.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I agee but there’s no reason to crap on him because we believe we can’t afford to pay him , especially based on a rumour about what he may be looking for .

Also the guys made nothing so how anyone can blame him for wanting to secure himself financially is beyond me .

People crap on all the guys coming off their ELC for being overpaid... and they've made nothing before their current deals.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
People crap on all the guys coming off their ELC for being overpaid... and they've made nothing before their current deals.
Bunting isn't coming off his elc he's a ufa , he'll be turning 28 and he isn't isn't looking to sign a bar raising contract like the one's Dubas handed out to M and M .

also as long as M and M as well as JT have your your support over what they signed for do they really need anyone else believing they're underpaid ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad