Bunting’s Next Contract

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

According to Kypreos, Bunting is asking for $5m a season. It doesn’t say anything about term.

I have no doubt Bunting is the most likely of our UFA’s to take a discount, and term vs AAV is a good place to start, but I also have no doubt he could get $5m on the open Market.

If he sticks to his guns and won’t settle for less than $5m/per, do you give it to him or thank him and send him on his way?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
4 million x 5 years is my max for Bunting. At 5 I think I would rather give someone else a try.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Good player, but this team can't pay good players top dollar.

Bunting should get somewhere in the 3 million range on this roster. At 4 they need to consider walking away.

Reactions: klmdg and Confucius

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
At 5 million per, I pass. If he played away from Matthews and Marner, you’re looking at a 30 point player.

Ideally a 3.5 million per over 8 years would be a solid contract for both sides. The highest I would go would be 4 million and that’s definitely on the high end.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
If he wants to stay with an elite duo, he's gotta take 2.5 otherwise you let him walk. When he's played on any other line he's looked average at best. He can easily be replaced by someone in that range who offers the same if not more.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Dropped in the lineup partly due to his 5M ask? I'm not seeing that as any kind of rationale.

Per the topic of this thread, I'll have to appreciate that he's been wildly underpaid on this contract
while understanding that the ride likely ends there.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dropped in the lineup partly due to his 5M ask? I'm not seeing that as any kind of rationale.

Per the topic of this thread, I'll have to appreciate that he's been wildly underpaid on this contract
and understand that the ride likely ends there.

Just asking, not making a judgement here, but do his antics help or hinder the team?

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
This is his final contract year before UFA?

And he is playing like this??? Not so smart are you Bunting?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
His numbers suggest at least 5 per. Then you look for flaws to explain it down:

Soft? No.
Injury prone? Not really.
Defensive play? Passable.
Declining? Unclear.
Inflated numbers from teammates? A bit but we don't see the same level of inflation when other players have been given the same opportunity.
Personality? Don't know this.

I'd like to keep him but it's near impossible to outbid an open market. Perhaps a slight haircut on the AAV for term? The Kerfoot money is coming off the books. Bunting took his "show me" deal 2 years ago. Bunting's best interests are served by maximizing both AAV and term for his next deal. He'll never get this opportunity again.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If he wants to stay with an elite duo, he's gotta take 2.5 otherwise you let him walk. When he's played on any other line he's looked average at best. He can easily be replaced by someone in that range who offers the same if not more.
I wouldn't assume he can be easily replaced. Robertson, Jarnkrok, Kerfoot, etc have been tried in the top 6, and none have been nearly as effective as Bunting. Just because you're playing with 2 of Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Nylander doesn't at all make it a given that you'll be able to put up ~60 points.

I agree we can't just write a blank cheque here, but we got VERY lucky when we replaced Hyman with Bunting. I wouldn't assume we can easily do it again, especially as we've obviously been trying to fill the second top 6 LW spot for years, without success.

Reactions: horner and Rielly4

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Could see Bunting taking a long term *discount to stay in Toronto, maybe. Playing with elite players will inflate his value to the point where he may just price himself out of Toronto.

Good cheaper UFA targets tend to be players whose opportunity hurt their value, or a contract year slump; in Bunting’s case he was a late bloomer who signed for cheap knowing the opportunity he’d get in Toronto.

It’s gonna come down to how much he wants to be a Leaf; the more involved he gets with the contract extension, the better. 5mil is simply too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad