Buffy Sainte-Marie history being questioned.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I wonder if people like that truly believe that they are what they pretend to be or they are clearly aware that they are basically an actor playing a character. It could also be that something that started out as an act, can make the person truly believe that it is all real. It is all messed up either way.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
But for 70 years? This is a strange story
You said it yourself that a paper 30 years ago challenged her claims and the CBC defended her. Now that same CBC are the ones at the forefront of those trying to finally expose her. I would not be surprised if they refused to do a thorough examination back then because of politics.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
It's perhaps important to note that it wasn't until the 1970s that verified FN actors were being used to play FN characters. Someone who had established their career in the 1960s could still easily get away with it. It would seem Buffy leveraged some connections with members from Piapot Cree Nation to help her career and CBC was still pretty relaxed about finding finding entertainers in the 1970s and fought to retain that talent they were able to source.

I know Diefenbaker was pretty anti-racist and so pushed CBC in directions that higher-ups may have been uncomfortable with. Letting Buffy stand up there made things easier for them as they maintained token relationships with indigenous actors. It wasn't until the 2010s that things changed and CBC maintained a large section for FN contributors.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Picture what she did and times it my 1000000000

If it is true--this will be one of the biggest con jobs of all time
I wonder how she got Canadian citizenship. I was actually unaware that she was born in Massachusetts and now lives in Hawaii. I hope they continue to pursue this because she has been given so many honours including the highest level of the Order of Canada.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I wonder how she got Canadian citizenship. I was actually unaware that she was born in Massachusetts and now lives in Hawaii. I hope they continue to pursue this because she has been given so many honours including the highest level of the Order of Canada.
I actually thought she was born in Massachusetts until i saw a doc saying she was from Saskabush--that surprised me. But in reading the reports on line, it looks like a either saw or read an article where she contradicted her self in the 80's

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
This is gonna get ugly(-er) fast. If the documentary claims are true, Buffy's sociopathic behavior will be amped up to 11.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I wonder if people like that truly believe that they are what they pretend to be or they are clearly aware that they are basically an actor playing a character. It could also be that something that started out as an act, can make the person truly believe that it is all real. It is all messed up either way.
I always assume some degree of narcissistic sociopath in these stories, so really they just don't care and its all about them.

Like plucking a darker moment from the story and paraphrasing a bit, from the article at the time of the Sesame Street appearance in the 70's her brother coincidentally ran into a PBS product at an airport and was like 'what no she's not indian she's white'. Then later after the encounter received a letter from her and her powerful lawyers threatening a defamation lawsuit against him. And going further beyond that with her accusing him in the letter of sexually assaulting her as a child, saying she was ready to claim he was a pedo & a predator and he'd better shut up if he knew what was good for him.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I'm looking at the niece and cousin and they have strikingly similar facial features to Buffy. There is also strong resemblance in Buffy to her parents. I know that isn't definitive, but my sister and I don't look at all alike but we sound the same. My brother looks a lot like my dad's brother. But in her case there is definitely familial resemblance.

It will be interesting to see if she actually makes a statement now because what she wrote was before the show came on.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I'm looking at the niece and cousin and they have strikingly similar facial features to Buffy. There is also strong resemblance in Buffy to her parents. I know that isn't definitive, but sister and I don't look at all alike but we sound the same. My brother looks a lot like my dad's brother. But in her case there is definitely familial resemblance.

It will be interesting to see if she actually makes a statement now because what she wrote was before the show came on.

she released a statement prior to the show airing and that is what has caused some to do more digging into fact vs fiction.

It sounds like she is using tribal traditions that participated in as examples of her heritage. But over looking the fact she took part in these traditions due to her claims.

There is also one interesting thing. Her son that she shares with Sheldon Peters Wolfchild (who is Lower Sioux Indian) had his DNA tested a few years ago and this is part of the smoking gun that some are pointing at --he did not have the DNA markers of any Piapot first nations.

She is sticking to her guns she was adopted even though there is a birth certificate with her US parents name on it--she has not addressed that

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
But for 70 years? This is a strange story
The people of the the Piapot first nation have spoken and say she is one of their people no matter what

As acting Chief Ira Lavallee of Piapot First Nation told the CBC: “When it comes to Buffy, we can't pick and choose which part of our culture we decide to adhere to … We do have one of our families in our community that did adopt her. Regardless of her ancestry, that adoption in our culture to us is legitimate.”

She has been a huge ally and face for first nation rights so whether her DNA says she is or not having been adopted into the first nation and being so vocal for their rights is what she should be remembered for.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The people of the the Piapot first nation have spoken and say she is one of their people no matter what

As acting Chief Ira Lavallee of Piapot First Nation told the CBC: “When it comes to Buffy, we can't pick and choose which part of our culture we decide to adhere to … We do have one of our families in our community that did adopt her. Regardless of her ancestry, that adoption in our culture to us is legitimate.”

She has been a huge ally and face for first nation rights so whether her DNA says she is or not having been adopted into the first nation and being so vocal for their rights is what she should be remembered for.
Sure. She’s been a great advocate for First Nations people. But she’s still a fraud. It’s possible to separate her music and human rights positions from her own personal life and false claims she knowingly made. No different than we can do with any other entertainer or sports figure.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... She has been a huge ally and face for first nation rights so whether her DNA says she is or not having been adopted into the first nation and being so vocal for their rights is what she should be remembered for.
That's seemingly the only peg she'll have available to hang her proverbial hat on. I agree that her First Nation's advocacy should not be diminished by the growing evidence of her Pretendian actions, but I'm not culturally positioned to judge the latter. This is a "stay tuned" story, and I thank @Jumptheshark for bringing attention to it in this forum.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Sure. She’s been a great advocate for First Nations people. But she’s still a fraud. It’s possible to separate her music and human rights positions from her own personal life and false claims she knowingly made. No different than we can do with any other entertainer or sports figure.
My remote interpretation of the acting Piapot Chief's statement concerning "we can't pick and choose which part of our culture we decide to adhere to" is that it's focused solely on the cultural legitimacy of Buffy's adoption as an adult. He'd be foolish to swim outside that lane under prevailing circumstances. The purported fraudulent behavior is a matter to be dealt with by others.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
My remote interpretation of the acting Piapot Chief's statement concerning "we can't pick and choose which part of our culture we decide to adhere to" is focused solely on the cultural legitimacy of Buffy's adoption as an adult. He'd be foolish to swim outside that lane under prevailing circumstances. The purported fraudulent behavior is a matter to be dealt with by others.
Well said. Everyone needs to form their own opinion.
Personally I’d have a lot more sympathy for her position if she had just been honest about her history. This isn’t a case of someone making an innocent mistake based on a misunderstanding of her past but instead is a case of someone who deliberately lied about her background and even went so far as to threaten her brother with false and serious threats.
I’m personally glad that she has been exposed no matter how hurtful it may be to those who regarded her as a cultural icon. The truth always matters imo.
Anyways my last post on this but I’ll be watching to see how this unfolds.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That's seemingly the only peg she'll have available to hang her proverbial hat on. I agree that her First Nation's advocacy should not be diminished by the growing evidence of her Pretendian actions, but I'm not culturally positioned to judge the latter. This is a "stay tuned" story, and I thank @Jumptheshark for bringing attention to it in this forum.
Thanks

For me this is one of those things that just caught me and others flat footed in how to react. We always thought she was 100% first nations and that is how she has presented herself for over 60 years.

When I lived in Canada, most of my friends were first nations persons and I was a supporter of them and their rights. NO matter how much I support them, it will never make me a first nations persons.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

The thing is-she had previously claimed it via birth and not via loyalty and support. Example--years ago I went through with a ceremony with the We Wai Kum First Nation as an honoured friend. This does not make me a first nations person.

The problem is her position for 60+ years as been she was born in Saskatchewan and adopted by a US family, She got a Canadian passport in the 50's based upon this idea.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad