Proposal: Buffalo - Toronto

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Well if it's a strong defensive system he's missing I can think of no better place for him than Toronto

There is that sarcasm again!

To Quote George W Bush:

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Saw Buffalo-Toronto and was hoping something original ... nope, just another Risto to Toronto trade. Risto is terrible, always out of position chasing hits, always digging the puck out of his own net once his team gets scored on. I'm talking about what I see with the eyes test, forget his underlying analytics which also shows he sucks. Then I look at this contract? Lmao, one of the worst contacts in the leage

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well if it's a strong defensive system he's missing I can think of no better place for him than Toronto
Agreed. Risto would do great in Boston, or on the Island. I am one of the few who likes Risto, but accept Toronto’s defensive woes would only replicate the same troubles he has in Buffalo.

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham
Uhhh see my break down. 8th for Nylander which is pretty fair. 15th for a top 4 day man. Again should be fair. Johnssson for a top 4 d man. What’s the issue? This is not Nylander for Risto...

so why wouldn't we trade johnsson just for miller...

nylander for an 8th is close i'd agree but that only works for a rebuilding team as well the eighth overall would be lucky to be as good as nylander and his contract is pretty great.

risto would most likely be better on some other teams, but toronto isn't a defensive team and trading him for the 15OA is a massive waste of assets = wouldn't noticeably improve the team plus adds 5.4million to our cap

its just poorly thought out from toronto's perspective

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
so why wouldn't we trade johnsson just for miller...

nylander for an 8th is close i'd agree but that only works for a rebuilding team as well the eighth overall would be lucky to be as good as nylander and his contract is pretty great.

risto would most likely be better on some other teams, but toronto isn't a defensive team and trading him for the 15OA is a massive waste of assets = wouldn't noticeably improve the team plus adds 5.4million to our cap

its just poorly thought out from toronto's perspective

It's poorly thought out from everyone's perspective. Buffalo has a couple clear needs to address this off-season, and this proposal takes some of our best assets for doing so and turns them into...a soft scoring winger and spare parts.

There was a time Buffalo and Toronto made some sense as trade partners, but that time ended when the Leafs gave Kadri away to the Avs.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Who do you think Buffalo put on the ice against the other teams 1st line?

I don't really care what the bargain bin coaches Buffalo has had over the past decade have chosen to do, Risto has worse defensive outcomes than the bargain bin defensemen playing next to him.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Agreed. Risto would do great in Boston, or on the Island. I am one of the few who likes Risto, but accept Toronto’s defensive woes would only replicate the same troubles he has in Buffalo.
Absolutely not. You can keep him.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I appreciate the OP broke down how they can to their flawed proposal, that’s actually helpful

nylander is worth more than the 8th
Risto isn’t worth the 15th

Add to the fact Toronto doesn’t need a Risto (seriously HF, look at what Toronto NEEDS on defence... not just ‘any RD I pull out of a hat to the Leafs’) NOR does this even fit buffalos needs (even if they are getting 120cents on the dollar here)

noble effort, back to the drawing board

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I feel like Risto gets shit on a lot because he has been in Buffalo and Buffalo has been awful since before he was drafted, not average, not below average, not even bad, awful since before he was drafted.

I think if you take Risto you put him on a decent team next to a guy like Muzzin or Rielly you would see what he can do..

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't really care what the bargain bin coaches Buffalo has had over the past decade have chosen to do, Risto has worse defensive outcomes than the bargain bin defensemen playing next to him.

I mean, if you want to believe Josh Gorges was better than Ristolainen, I guess you're free to but it's a baaaaaaad take.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I mean, if you want to believe Josh Gorges was better than Ristolainen, I guess you're free to but it's a baaaaaaad take.

Neither one can handle top pair competition without getting demolished, the nuances of which one is worse defensively don't really interest me. You can't handwave Risto's defensive issues away by saying his team/coaching is bad when other defensemen do better than him in those same conditions.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Big pass. Not the kind of D we need. Horrible valuation. No one is giving up 15 for Risto so it all falls apart there. I'd rather trade the pick for Tanev's FA rights which would be god awful value.

I think many Leaf fans would be open to trading Nylander and the pick+ for a #1 RHD.

In general we are a tough trading partner. if it's not a cheap nothing player it has to be the perfect fit, we cannot afford anyone new who is not great bang for their buck at this point. Risto aint that.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Why would the Sabres give away 2 RD in a trade to the same team? The only way I can see them doing that is if there’s a second trade involved between to two teams where it’s Liljegren for Mittelstadt. And that’s not happening.

Yes Leaf fans. Attack me for that “proposal” that I was using as a comparison to last years Nylander for Jokiharju trade.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I like Risto. I do. I like Montour and Miller, as well. I think any of the 3 will do well with a new team, and I'd be happy if that team is Toronto.

But I'm sure as spit not happy if the cost was anything like the 15th overall. I don't want Nylander involved, and don't need futures coming back.

The BUF/TOR talk has been done a lot here. But I am curious if a Buffalo defender can be a match for the Leafs in a trade. Keep it simple, and there should be a deal that can be made.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Risto for something around Kerfoot and Johnsson, or one of those two and Dermott, or something around Andersen. Not Nylander. Not Montour or Miller.

Risto is a good D who would fill a needed role on the Leafs. Junk advanced stats are worthless.

There is almost no chance that Buffalo will be moving Risto.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't think his deal interests the Leafs enough to move Nylander though obviously they'd like the pieces involved at a different cost

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Risto for something around Kerfoot and Johnsson, or one of those two and Dermott, or something around Andersen. Not Nylander. Not Montour or Miller.

Risto is a good D who would fill a needed role on the Leafs. Junk advanced stats are worthless.
Kerfoot is a nothing burger. Maybe the Leafs get a mid round pick for him from a team desperate for a 3rd line center. Johnsson had some promise, but is coming off a serious injury and didn't take the next step this season that many thought he would. Again, seems like a player Toronto might get a mid round pick for if they wanted to dump salary. Andersen is a little bit more of a wildcard. I think he's a good goalie, but he's set to hit FA and I have zero interest in giving him a long-term (Bobrovsky lite) type of contract.
So in summary, those pieces do little for Buffalo, those are the type of middling pieces Botterill might have settled for, but I'd be surprised if Adams made that type of deal. If Toronto wants to move the 15th pick then there could be a deal there, but the thought of giving up a valuable asset for Ristolainen doesn't seem to sit well with most Leafs fans.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Kerfoot is a nothing burger. Maybe the Leafs get a mid round pick for him from a team desperate for a 3rd line center. Johnsson had some promise, but is coming off a serious injury and didn't take the next step this season that many thought he would. Again, seems like a player Toronto might get a mid round pick for if they wanted to dump salary. Andersen is a little bit more of a wildcard. I think he's a good goalie, but he's set to hit FA and I have zero interest in giving him a long-term (Bobrovsky lite) type of contract.
So in summary, those pieces do little for Buffalo, those are the type of middling pieces Botterill might have settled for, but I'd be surprised if Adams made that type of deal. If Toronto wants to move the 15th pick then there could be a deal there, but the thought of giving up a valuable asset for Ristolainen doesn't seem to sit well with most Leafs fans.

It matters not at all what sits well with most fans. What matters is what GMs think and what is line with other pressures on them.

I also said that there is almost no chance that Buffalo trades Risto - and again it doesn't matter at all how that sits with many Buffalo fans.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Another Leaf thread and all we will give up is Kerfoot and Johnsson... ohh well
That is not true #15 and Nylander can both be in play, but not for what was offered by the OP in the view of most Leaf fans on the board accepting the fact that the OP is a Leaf fan.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
How does he alace the Leafs????

Take 7 mill from the forwards and add 2 top 4 RHD to the back end.

Rielly-Miller
Muzzin-Risto
Dermott-Holl
Sandin

That’s a respectable D.

Mik-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Hyman
Engval-Kerfoot-UFA/
Clifford/UFA/Rodrigues-Gauthier-Korshkov

Bottom six needs some work via trade or UFA and you get the 8OA in a deep draft where you can get an ELC who can possibly contribute next year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad