Proposal: Buffalo Sports Network

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I think a regional sports network does happen eventually, but I don't think it'll be anything like traditional TV. It will be via internet and everything will be on-demand.

These networks are all going to take advantage of internet/streaming options, making content available on an individual subscriber basis. Has 2 advantage - direct to consumer content and revenue - and you don't have to fill up 24 hours like a traditional network. Everything will be on demand, including live and on-demand games.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I don't see it working. I remember Ted Black was asked about this a while ago and said regional sports networks aren't profitable unless they have baseball to go along with the fall-spring sports.

He said the other day on WGR that it is a possibility. They're not profitable if you have to fill 24 hours with programming. As I stated above, they won't do traditional TV - the networks will go to all on-demand content with live games. Beyond Blue and Gold is sort of a precursor to the type of programming and availability we'll see on a regional sports network.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Without a MLB team/No major college football team to anchor the summer/fall schedule, a regional sports network specific to western NY just doesn't make sense.

Most FSN Regional sports channels have a MLB team, a major D1 college football team, a NHL or NBA team, and a NFL team to report on.

Buffalo just doesn't have enough content to validate a 24/7 regional sports network. Currently a dedicated sports network would go from May/June until September with nothing to report on.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
As far as baseball is concerned, seeing that they're the parent club of the Bisons and the closest MLB team to here, how about airing Blue Jays games (even if they're just Sportsnet simulcasts) for summer programming?

They don't get that for free.

The problem isn't content ; it's money. Any station can get access to enough content to fill the time, the question is how much it will cost them, and how much money they can make in advertising dollars coming back to make it worth it.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
How is the market for Syracuse football/basketball in the Buff/Rochester area?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Toronto would be dumb not to market their MLB and NBA teams in buffalo. I think they can easily negotiate a reasonable price.

They could tap into syrace sports programming or they could also get a feed from the AZcC licensed rights holder.

A station can work.

Isomething to think about...if they build a new stadium do you think buffalo could support an MLS club? I think they could. This is something that would add stadum revenue with (20 or go games in the spring/summer/fall). Then the 40 games could air on the sports network.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Tampa Bay Rays may be available. The Trop is a disaster and crowds are embarrassing low. I know Montreal has an interest. Wouldn't it be nice to beat them out......

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Yep. I like the revisionist history though

What revisionist history?

Tampa Bay Rays may be available. The Trop is a disaster and crowds are embarrassing low. I know Montreal has an interest. Wouldn't it be nice to beat them out......

I agree Tampa is going through tough times but most of it is due to a crappy arena in the wrong side of town/the Bay. See PHX/Glendalle or FLA/Sunrise. Put the Rays in Chanelside/Vinikland and they will draw. Whether or not Tampa has the will is another matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad