Proposal: Buffalo Sports Network

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Okay, this is purely my brain thinking about sports too much and not based on anything that is actually being discussed.

I notice a lot of people in WNY talk about how they'd rather have a new Empire Sports Network than the current MSG situation (I don't have a lot exposure to it due to living in FL, though I do notice the NYC commercials when watching the Sabres on Center Ice). Now that Pegula owns the Bills, why not have a TV Network devoted to Buffalo Sports?

Buffalo Sports Network

6-10 AM - Televise the Howard Simon Show (Like Dan Patrick/Mike & Mike do)
10-10:30 AM - Buffalo Bisons Now: Highlighting the Bisons/baseball news of the day
10:30 AM-11 AM - Beyond Blue & Gold: Expand on the current show, make it similar to Oil Change or Into the Wild
11 AM-2 PM - Buffalo Bills Today: Hosted by John Murphy, Chris Brown, Thurman Thomas, and Jim Kelly
2-2:30 PM - The Kris Baker Show: Sabres Prospects show
2:30-3 PM - Inside the Bills: Similar to the above idea about BBG
3-3:30 PM - Down on the Farm: Amerks and Jackals (and all AHL/ECHL) news.
3:30-4 PM - Buffalo Futures: HS/College Sports Highlights and news
4-7 PM - Sabres Hockey Central: Hosted by Brian Duff, Sal Capaccio, Marty Biron, and Danny Gare (Duff via satellite when Sabres are on the road). On game days, Pre-Game would be the last hour of the show.
Evening Time Slot Determined by Following Priority
1. Sabres
2. Special Events (i.e All-American Prospects Game)
3. Amerks
4. Bisons
5. WNY College Sporting Events (UB, Canisius, Niagara, etc)
6. Bandits
7. Local HS Sports games

Does this seem like a good idea and something TPegs should consider?

Last edited:

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
½ hour time slot for Amerks AND Elmira Jackals updates/interviews/highlights etc..

I was going to put something like that but I wanted to make sure there was a balance of Sabres and Bills...

Got it, I'll bump the Hockey Central back an hour, have game days include pre-game in it.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
To save money, the station could air some replay of some national programming if they could get the rights during the afternoon. I doubt the hours of 9-3 would be heavily watched at all.

I like your Howard Simon idea. Keep it.

But then from 10-3 have national programming to save money.

From 2:30-5 can do the Sabres Prospects show, the Amerks/Jackals news, a Bisons 30 min thing, a HS/college 30 min thing and something on the Bills.

From 5-7 can do another "open mike" thing a la Howard Simon. On Mondays, it'd be heavy Bills talk. Maybe lure Zig back? He's got the chops to do hockey and football....and it's not Schopp and the Bulldog.

Then from 7-whenever can be game stuff. Bisons, Amerks, Bandits, Sabres...whatever. If there's nothing local going on in the game department, get something from a national network.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Alright. Here's a revised schedule based on suggestions:

6-10 AM: Howard Simon Show
10 AM - 2 PM: Buffalo Classics: Show old Bisons/Bills/Sabres games that were good, saves money
2-2:30 PM: Buffalo Bisons Now: Bisons/baseball news
2:30-3 PM: The Kris Baker Show: Combine this with the Amerks/Jackals show; he can do both
3-5 PM: Buffalo Bills Today: Hosted by John Murphy, Chris Brown, Thurman Thomas, and Jim Kelly
5-7 PM: Sabres Hockey Central: Hosted by Brian Duff, Marty Biron, and Danny Gare (Duff via satellite when Sabres are on the road) Frequent interviews with Nolan, Murray, Pegula?, Black, Players, Visiting team personnel
Evening Time Slot: Same priority listed in OP

Weekends
Schedule fluctuates to air more Bisons games on Saturdays and Sundays, but have each of the following shows air both days:

Beyond Blue & Gold (more in-depth and documentary-like, see Oil Change)
Inside the Bills (Like BBG)
Buffalo Futures Now (College & HS Sports, local and national)
Buffalo Top Ten (All sorts of Top Tens: past, present, future; football, hockey, baseball, etc)
Some NHL Weekend Show
Some NFL Weekend Show

(Just Saturday): 11 AM-2 PM: Sports Talk Saturday with Sal Capaccio Televised like Howard Simon

Slapshot85

Jul 1, 2011
I don't see it working. I remember Ted Black was asked about this a while ago and said regional sports networks aren't profitable unless they have baseball to go along with the fall-spring sports.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
What we need to do is dump MSG and have like WNYO or someone pick up the whole package.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
A few things....

Remember rochester has a womens soccer pro team.

Summer programming would be bisons or picking up some MLB games.

The issue you need to look back at---why did Empire fall apart???? From there fix what the problems were.

As for the MSG issue with NYC commercials:

1. If center ice picked up a NYC based feed of the game then the ads.

2. Past seasons they would pick of the feed directly from MSG before the cable would insert their ads. thus on center ice it would blackout on commercial breaks.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
As far as baseball is concerned, seeing that they're the parent club of the Bisons and the closest MLB team to here, how about airing Blue Jays games (even if they're just Sportsnet simulcasts) for summer programming?

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I don't see it working. I remember Ted Black was asked about this a while ago and said regional sports networks aren't profitable unless they have baseball to go along with the fall-spring sports.

Hmmmm...... I wonder how much Terry Pegula like baseball......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad