Speculation: Buffalo Sabres

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
The Buffalo Sabres have a little bit of hope after winning Dahlin in the draft. We traded Kane, and Alex Nylander looks like he might either take a lot of time or is destined for the "oops" pile.

The Sabres need a LW and have a lot of centers. How far up do they have to move to get Brady Tkachuk, who seems like a natural on this team with having Casey Middlestadt (his world jrs lineman) and Eichel (another BU product), and the team is obsessed with drafting team usa players.

What team is a good trading partner and who would we have to give up to draft Brady?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
You'd probably need to get MTL's pick if you're set on Tkachuk, and I'm not sure what they'd want for it exactly but it'd be an awful lot, something that hurts.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
You'd likely need a top 10 picks. So look at Van, Chi, NYR. But you will have to give up something significant, be ready.

I also read on The Athletic that Detroit is looking to trade down, so maybe a three way deal could work.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I
You'd likely need a top 10 picks. So look at Van, Chi, NYR. But you will have to give up something significant, be ready.

I also read on The Athletic that Detroit is looking to trade down, so maybe a three way deal could work.
I was thinking Ryan O'Reilly would be a good starting point with Montreal just because their center depth is awful. Vancouver is an intriguing option but I'm not sure how much they'd want him. I would not want lose another center to the rangers (still sad about drury), and Chi has cap hell so I don't know why they would do that.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I

I was thinking Ryan O'Reilly would be a good starting point with Montreal just because their center depth is awful. Vancouver is an intriguing option but I'm not sure how much they'd want him. I would not want lose another center to the rangers (still sad about drury), and Chi has cap hell so I don't know why they would do that.
So basically you're saying the asset you want to spare with to get Tkachuk is ROR?

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
You'd probably need to get MTL's pick if you're set on Tkachuk, and I'm not sure what they'd want for it exactly but it'd be an awful lot, something that hurts.

I just really hope the Habs won't pick Tkachuk. It's either BPA or a position of need, Tkachuk is neither. But Bergevin might just do it because of 'character' or whatever, so if he wants him at 3rd you're not getting him.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
ROR this year's 2nd ,next year's 1st from SJ, McCabe and Bailey or Baptise.
For #3oa

Lol wut? I hope you meant ROR "or" that package. Unless ROR had a leg amputated that I'm not aware of he should be enough to get into the top 5 for the second tier of prospects. 1 and 2 aren't being moved, 3+ would take an overpay, but that's a 1OA type overpay.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Let’s just wait for Bergevin to mess this up...

3OA and Galchenyuk
For O’Reilly & Nylander...

Bergevin will be convinced he got two centers in the trade ;)

Reactions: Heretic

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Yeah but I guess I was hoping to see if anybody in montreal would be into that or who they would want.
I honestly don't think there's a deal to be made. There's been a few proposal in the last few days. I'd personally have interest in ROR and Reinhart (if he can play C, I'm not sure where he is in his development right now)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Buffalo doesn't have assets to spare to go after a winger, FFS. That's dumb.

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
We've already drafted someone based on their name in 2016 and it was obviously a horrible decision back then, and it's only looked worse since. Hopefully we don't waste a bunch of assets to trade up and do it again.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Buffalo doesn't have assets to spare to go after a winger, FFS. That's dumb.
Have you seen our LW depth? We need to find a way to obtain not 1 but 2 top6 LW. Maybe JVR via UFA can be one but I would want at least one more actual top6 UFA. And if we dont land Neal or JVR finding a top6 LW some other way is basically mandatory (just like finding a goalie is).

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Maybe Bergevin could be suckered into taking O’rielly for his 3OA pick, moving down the board I really don’t think Tkachuk is on the board past 10OA. I really don’t see how else Buffalo could get a pick high enough for Tkachuk.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Anders Lee for Reinhart - There might need to be some adds, but essentially Lee for Reinhart

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Buffalo won't move Reinhart. They are looking to "build" a rank of forwards and defense that are puck possession, fast, transitional puck movers, not ship them out. And while Reinhart isn't the fastest there is little doubt he's a positional puck controlling top 2 line forward who's transition to wing is showing more than promise.
Buffalo's current glut is at center, they drafted heavy down the middle these past 3 to 4 seasons and is now in a position to start making transitional moves with some of those players. ROR, Pu, Middlestadt, Asplund, Maloney, Larsson are just a few primed to go.
Buffalo won't be looking for top 10 draft picks in lieu of impact roster players that "fit" what they are trying to build imo. Moving salary may be a situation they look at, but players like Moulson and Pomminville, with 1 year left at 5 mil or so aren't necessarily a need to jettison. Buffalo isn't in cap hell at all. The only contracts with concern for them right now are most likely Okposo (who is 1 season removed from a very serious life threatening illness) and Bogosain (who appears to have chronic injury problems every season). Both of which will most likely be given an opportunity to rebound this up coming season.

If Buffalo is to make a trade, the players I see them moving are ROR (center depth off sets his lose to some extent) due to worth of return. Girgensons and/or Larsson due to unfulfilled potential. Lehner as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad