Buffalo Sabres used 2009 NHL Draft to add size and toughness

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

Despite improving their standing in the Northeast Division at the conclusion of the 2008-09 season, the Buffalo Sabres found themselves out of playoff contention for the second year in a row.

The organization was just two years removed from being crowned the NHL's best regular season team, but the departures of co-captains Chris Drury and Daniel Briere in 2007 left a significant void on the ice and in the locker room.

To replenish the roster, then-GM Darcy Regier turned to the draft, and with the team still featuring plenty of scoring ability with players such as Thomas Vanek, Derek Roy, and Brian Campbell, decided to take players who could help in other areas of the game.… read more

More...

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
rename the article; "2009 NHL Draft for the Buffalo Sabres: Meh"

the best player we got out of the draft was drafted by another team

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
rename the article; "2009 NHL Draft for the Buffalo Sabres: Meh"

the best player we got out of the draft was drafted by another team

Hodgson was drafted the previous year.

This draft class looks pretty solid to me. Kassian turned into Hodgson which is good value for a 13th overall pick. McNabb in the 3rd round is good pick regardless of what happens going forward. He's a legit prospect. Foligno was certainly a good pick in the 4th, again regardless of what kind of player he turns into.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I thought overall the draft was pretty decent especially considering we had no 2nd rounder. We got Kassian who turned into Hodgson, McNabb, and Foligno.

I think you meant to say, we got Kassian who turned into Hodgson, plus we drafted McNabb and Foligno. Otherwise it reads like the trade helped us get the latter two.

NcNabb has done nothing at this stage but disappoint. Foligno is a tease player, very much up and down. At times he looks great, most of the time he's average at best. I'd say the draft was disappointing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad