News Article: Buffalo Sabres send five prospects to Team USA World Junior summer camp

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Sabres send 5 prospects to USA World Jr summer camp.

The team learned on Wednesday that five of its prospects will attend Team USA’s World Junior summer evaluation camp in Lake Placid (Aug. 2-9), the most sent by any one NHL organization. Earning invites were defenseman Anthony Florentino (143rd overall, 2013) and forwards J.T. Compher (35th, ’13), Connor Hurley (38th, ’13), Hudson Fasching (138th, ’13) and Sean Malone (159th, ’13).

Great news!

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Bailey could still be considered.

Buffalo could add a few more of these players who are draft eliginle.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Hopefully most of them make it. I'd imagine Compher/Fasching are locks barring injury.

Should be a good tourney next year. Don't understand why Can/USA is at 4pm ET on NYE and not the 7 game.

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
Hopefully most of them make it. I'd imagine Compher/Fasching are locks barring injury.

Should be a good tourney next year. Don't understand why Can/USA is at 4pm ET on NYE and not the 7 game.

The tournament times are already scheduled?

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Hurly should make it aswell

I think this year will tell us a lot about Hurley. He seems to be an often forgotten prospect around here. I'll be watching a good amount of him and seeing how he does in his first year at Notre Dame and in the NCAA.

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
I think this year will tell us a lot about Hurley. He seems to be an often forgotten prospect around here. I'll be watching a good amount of him and seeing how he does in his first year at Notre Dame and in the NCAA.

I don't think he's forgotten, just kind of impossible to evaluate effectively. Agree that this year should be illuminating.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I have a feeling that Florentino is going to turn into a pretty surprising prospect for us. I think a few years from now his name will be mentioned in the same vein as our highly touted young demean at the moment.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Yeah, I'm kind of viewing this upcoming season as his "post-draft" season.

Age-wise it's not that far off, either. He's only a month younger older than Draisaitl, and 2 younger older than Reinhart. Considering this was just his first USHL season (with a taste last year), he has a lot of development ahead of him. Probably the amateur Sabres prospect I'm most excited to track next year.

Last edited:

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Age-wise it's not that far off, either. He's only a month younger than Draisaitl, and 2 younger than Reinhart. Considering this was just his first USHL season (with a taste last year), he has a lot of development ahead of him. Probably the amateur Sabres prospect I'm most excited to track next year.

Yeah, this is the reasoning for my outlook. I think he could make the US squad depending on the start of his season, but he could play for what 2 years after this or only 1?

older* ^^ :)

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Don't understand why Can/USA is at 4:00 pm ET on NYE and not the 7:00 pm ET.

Actually it would be 8:00 pm ET - the games are scheduled within four hours of each other.
(Game starts at say 4:00 pm ET - ends like 2 1/2 hrs later and theres 1 1/2 hrs until the next game starts - which would be 8:00 pm ET.)

Possible answer - Canada wants a break from playing in the last game of the day?
(Their other three group games are scheduled for 8:00 pm ET starts.)

Fans would be able to attend/watch the game and then go to whatever New Years Eve parties they have planned?

Travel? Crowd concern? Do they have a New Years Eve celebration in downtown Montreal (and near the Bell Centre) like we had have here in Buffalo? Canada-United States game will be a sellout (20,000?) while Finland-Germany may not be - could be like 7,000-10,000 less people downtown in the late evening hours.

Canada/United States want a longer rest for their quarterfinal games which would be played sometime on January 2?
(Hey those extra 2 1/2 hrs may help...)

Both teams want to fly out of Montreal that evening (9:00 pm ET flights?) and arrive in Toronto before midnight?
So the players can celebrate New Years on the ground and not while they are in the air?
(Although I'm assuming players from Finland and Germany will be flying out on New Years Day.)
They would then be able to practice in Toronto on New Years Day morning/early afternoon.
And not have to fly to Toronto on New Years Day and practice that late that day - if they practice at all.

Yeah we get a United States-Canada matchup on New Years Eve which is always a great time but I wish the two teams weren't playing each other in the group stage. Wish they were in opposite groups which would mean the United States would be playing their group games in Toronto and not Montreal. Much easier to travel to Toronto than Montreal. Would have easily spent a couple of days up in Toronto - attending at least two United States games. No way, I'll be able to make Montreal.

Last edited:

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Actually it would be 8:00 pm ET - the games are scheduled within four hours of each other.
(Game starts at say 4:00 pm ET - ends like 2 1/2 hrs later and theres 1 1/2 hrs until the next game starts - which would be 8:00 pm ET.)

Possible answer - Canada wants a break from playing in the last game of the day?
(Their other four group games are scheduled for 8:00 pm ET starts.)

Fans would be to attend/watch the game and then go to whatever New Years Eve parties they have planned?

Canada/United States want a longer rest for their quarterfinal games which would be played sometime on January 2?
(Hey those extra 2 1/2 hrs may help...)

Both teams want to fly out of Montreal that evening (9:00 pm ET flights?) and arrive in Toronto before midnight?
So the players can celebrate New Years on the ground and not while they are in the air?
They would have the chance to practice in Toronto on New Years Day morning/early afternoon.
And not have to fly to Toronto on New Years Day and practice that late that day - if they practice at all.

Good on you for really putting out some possible reasons. But, if these are the reasons then it's silly IMO. It's in Montreal the party won't start until after Team Canada plays...this game would be the pre-game for those going out and on every TV that's hosting a party I assure you of that. It would generate alot more of a TV audience if it was at 8 and in my opinion the Finland/Germany game would get a better viewership on tv and in person. Who the hell is going to watch Finland and Germany AFTER Canada plays, only real die hard hockey fans will likely tune in.

The flights and whatnot are of no big deal as I'm sure they will be able to fly out whenever they want.. if they even need to (1/2 the QF games are in Montreal).

I'd think it'd be pretty cool to celly NYE on a plane with the boys your representing your country with. It's not like they're going out to the club and popping bottles, they're there to win a gold medal.

The tournaments finally in NA again and they don't even put the biggest game of the round robin during prime time.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
So if/when we finally become a good team how many times will posters of other teams bring up it's only because we cheated and brought 400 players to our own combine in 2013?

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
So if/when we finally become a good team how many times will posters of other teams bring up it's only because we cheated and brought 400 players to our own combine in 2013?

And of course don't forget the idiots crying about how we totally disrespected/ruined/embarrassed the all mighty integrity, honor and storied history of the nhl by intentionally tanking (aka being smart by selling of our ufa's and rebuilding)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad