GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ Red Wings - 7:30 EST

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
The contract is terrible because Gator has barely been a 40 point player during his prime, while the vast majority of his contract takes place while he is declining.

I seriously doubt he ends up having a single 40+ point season for the entire duration of his contract. Doesn't provide any value for the Wings now or five years from now.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
The contract is terrible because Gator has barely been a 40 point player during his prime, while the vast majority of his contract takes place while he is declining.

I seriously doubt he ends up having a single 40+ point season for the entire duration of his contract. Doesn't provide any value for the Wings now or five years from now.

Not to mention the only reason he was a 40 point guy is because of where he has played in the lineup. If you play him on the 3rd line where his career should have been spent, 40 points never happens and neither does that contract. But Kenny loves his good ol home grown boys!

Reactions: Reddwit

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Players take discounts on contender teams, because the trade-off is they have a legit chance at winning the cup. Wings are not in that position, they are in the complete opposite position. They are more on the rebuild than playoff team list.

Players need/want more compensation if they are expected to play bigger roles on losing teams.

As for Gator's contract, I do not care that the vast majority here think it is "overpayment". It's not like the money is coming out of your bank account, and it is not like it is keeping Ken Holland from signing/offersheeting world class players like McDavid. Essentially Abby's contract does not hurt the future of the team what-so-ever.

For the Red Wings, no contract has hurt the club. Has not prevented Ken Holland from signing the player we actually had a chance at signing. Contract talks here are like a hyperbole rain cloud that, in the grand scheme of things, doesn't develop into nothing other than being able to brag on the main board "yeah well, our GM gets HUGE player discounts". A contract has not hurt the Detroit Red Wings, nor will it. Too many loop holes to "bury" in a last ditch effort. That KH already proved with Pavel Datsyuk's contract.

Contract discussions about "players having bad contracts" is BS around here. The money isn't coming out of your pocket and it isn't preventing the Wings from winning a Stanley Cup anytime soon.

Reactions: obey86

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

and as his contract goes along his cap hit (as a % of the salary cap) will become lower and lower.

how does it hurt if he's on the team for the next 5 years? it's not my money, what do I care? if he's so terrible like you think and provides ZERO value (lol, ok) he's only helping the wings tank for picks right? isn't that good?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Not to mention the only reason he was a 40 point guy is because of where he has played in the lineup. If you play him on the 3rd line where his career should have been spent, 40 points never happens and neither does that contract. But Kenny loves his good ol home grown boys!

put him on the 3rd line on a non-terrible, not bottom of the league in offense team and I bet he could break 40. hell, he has 12 points in 19 games this year on a team that can't score.....playing most often with darren helm and frans nielsen. long season, but so far he's on pace a quarter of the way through.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
As for Gator's contract, I do not care that the vast majority here think it is "overpayment". It's not like the money is coming out of your bank account, and it is not like it is keeping Ken Holland from signing/offersheeting world class players like McDavid. Essentially Abby's contract does not hurt the future of the team what-so-ever.

You sound like the kinda guy that turns the salary cap off when he plays NHL 18.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You sound like the kinda guy that turns the salary cap off when he plays NHL 18.

Aside from playing Atari back in the late 70s early 80s, I don't play video games. Instead I like to look at the reality in the real life world. And all my points stand true.

But I am not going to criticize you for playing video games. Just please keep it separate from fantasy and reality and you'll be much happier.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
put him on the 3rd line on a non-terrible, not bottom of the league in offense team and I bet he could break 40. hell, he has 12 points in 19 games this year. long season, but so far he's on pace.

To honestly believe that you'd need to ignore the healthy supply of analytics that says you are much safer betting against.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
To honestly believe that you'd need to ignore the healthy supply of analytics that says you are much safer betting against.

please explain the analytics behind "abdelkader will never break 40 points for the duration of his contract." thank you.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Some of the same people have two different arguments. So when one doesn't work in their favor, they'll switch to the other.

1 . Contract is bad and it is hurting the team
2. Wings need lose and get better draft picks

In regards to Abby, he's playing well and helping the team. Well darn, he's not helping the team tank. "So he's paid tooooo much!!!". Well darn, he's playing well and helping the team. "So he's not going to sustain his production, look at analytics as proof." So? He will help the team tank then. "buttt, buuttt, buttt he's paid too much!"

Good god, Henry! It's not your money!

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
All players are, rightly, viewed in the context of their contract. Helm's a good player. If we paid him $10M a year we'd be pissed. If you get paid a certain amount, you're expected to do certain things. If you don't do those things you're going to get heavily criticized.
Problem on this board seems to be that people expect way too much out of 3-4 million players.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I don't think he's saying people literally say it, but that they blame the player for their contract.
People judge the player's on ice value relative to the amount they cost the team. That is perfectly valid and is not a criticism of Abdelkader because he chose to earn as much as he could.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
We might find out this offseason with Larkin, Mantha, and AA all due for extensions plus the impending hole that Green will leave on the blueline.

I know this is a hot take that's fun to say but all three will be back next season. You're kidding yourself if you think Holland plans to deal any of those three players. He'll make other moves to make them fit.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
The Abdelkader contract itself has not directly kept us from signing anyone. Its the compilation of contracts like his that keep us from signing other players, he plays as big of a part in it as anyone else. Im not blaming it in Abby either, it is Kennys fault for being incompetent and overpaying hometown boys. We used to get hometown discounts, that has reversed in recent years.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
put him on the 3rd line on a non-terrible, not bottom of the league in offense team and I bet he could break 40. hell, he has 12 points in 19 games this year on a team that can't score.....playing most often with darren helm and frans nielsen. long season, but so far he's on pace a quarter of the way through.
He may technically have spent most of his time on our third line, but without looking it up I can gaurntee he has gotten much more ice time (with PP time also) then the average 3rd liner.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
We're well ahead of last year in scoring. Not the top 5 but pretty good for the amount we're giving up.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You have been around here long enough, I think you know who the overpaid mediocre players are.

No. Who are all these great players we could have signed to push the team over the top and make the Detroit Red Wings a contender but couldn't because of the "compilation of [bad] contracts"? Your words, not mine.

But who?

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
No. Who are all these great players we could have signed to push the team over the top and make the Detroit Red Wings a contender but couldn't because of the "compilation of [bad] contracts"? Your words, not mine.

But who?

I never said anything about great players who would put the team over the top. Also, I don't really get what you are trying to argue.

Do you not think these last two offseasons there were no defenseman worth signing that are better then what we have? You do not think the possibility of upgrading the team via a trade is easier with cap space? Do you not believe having cap space makes it easier to upgrade a team?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
You do not think the possibility of upgrading the team via a trade is easier with cap space? Do you not believe having cap space makes it easier to upgrade a team?

Who do you propose they trade? And for what? Only eight teams in the league have $6 million or more in cap space. Unless you're suggesting this team become Arizona and take bad contracts with incentive draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad