Rumor: Buffalo Sabres Interested in Ryan O'Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
If we give up that much we better be able to sign him after this contract is up next year. What are the chances of that happening? If we do end up last we will have Girgs/ROR/McEichel/Reinhart all at Center. Who goes where? I don't see him as a good fit here. Reinhart and McEichel are a perfect 1-2 and I don't see their skills translating as effectively at wing. ROR and Girgs are to good to be 3rd line players.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Rumor had it Myers was on the table before and that didn't get it done. I don't see this happening unless something more valuable than grigorenko / pysyk is on the table.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Rumor had it Myers was on the table before and that didn't get it done. I don't see this happening unless something more valuable than grigorenko / pysyk is on the table.

Given the trade that Murray actually made I'd say there's little chance he offered Myers for ROR straight up.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Given the trade that Murray actually made I'd say there's little chance he offered Myers for ROR straight up.

I don't think Murray would have dealt Myers unless we were getting a legit top 4 RHD back (didn't Murray say that any deal that involved Myers would have to involve more than "just" Myers??).

The Jets had 3 bona-fide RHDs in Buff, Bogo and Stuart, so trading one for a "better version" in Myers made sense for them.

I don't get the feeling that swapping EJ or Barrie for Myers was ever in the cards.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
I have plenty of interest in Ryan O'Reilly

That said, I don't have any interest in any trade involving Zadorov or Pysyk. He's a great player, but you're just trading depth at one position for another. I'd much rather roll with McEichel, Girgensons, and Reinhart in the top 3 center spots and let them grow together.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

There was no rumor that Myers was on the table for ROR. Zero. Zilch. None.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

It was far bigger than ROR for Myers. Because Myers was under contract he was worth more than ROR so they had to add.

I agree....

He didn't do Myers for Kane he wanted a top 4 Dman coming back for Myers.

Kane is better than ROR because he is younger and under contract.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This article basically cites pierre lebrun's quotes about The Sabres and O'Reilly and then points out Roy was Grig's coach and Kane is represented by the same agency as O'Reilly (not that it matters).

Nothing really new to see here, probably safe to merge this in with the rumors thread.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
It was far bigger than ROR for Myers. Because Myers was under contract he was worth more than ROR so they had to add.

I agree....

He didn't do Myers for Kane he wanted a top 4 Dman coming back for Myers.

Kane is better than ROR because he is younger and under contract.

Kane is 6 months younger then RoR....

And no chance Sakic turned down Myers for RoR. Both have similar value to their respected positions but one was signed for many more years while the other has 100 regular season games left before free agency.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Why would Murray want a expiring player at deadline. Make your offer in the off season and if he really wants to be here then he will take it. Murray is trying to do too much to soon before Eichel or McDavid are even locked. Rushing in for ROR who Colorado over values at deadline is too risky of a move for my liking. It will cost too much, it will risk more wins and he could walk.

Ottawa is built bad, Binghamton is the level of Rochester. Murray is a scout so I sure hope he knows what he's doing for building a team because looking at those other teams he came from doesn't instil confidence.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Why would Murray want a expiring player at deadline. Make your offer in the off season and if he really wants to be here then he will take it. Murray is trying to do too much to soon before Eichel or McDavid are even locked. Rushing in for ROR who Colorado over values at deadline is too risky of a move for my liking. It will cost too much, it will risk more wins and he could walk.

Ottawa is built bad, Binghamton is the level of Rochester. Murray is a scout so I sure hope he knows what he's doing for building a team because looking at those other teams he came from doesn't instil confidence.

Why? Fasching,Compher,Bailey,Baptiste etc will be in Rochester soon enough. The only weakness I can see in the Amerks future is defense as Pysyk and McCabe are about ready and Ruhwedel is only gonna have an ahl contract for so long, let alone trades.

The amerks pending a huge trade of futures have an interesting and talented bunch coming in 1-2 years.

And thats only commenting on the AHL portion.

Thats not to mention several ahl teams have been successful with vet former nhl signings alone...its just as likely guys like strachan or kaleta play big roles with the amerks to as signed/waived players. It is concerning at first thought that a bad amerks team is going to lose Larson/Armia/Grigorenko but the players coming in can likely supplant that.

Bps21*

1. He's not expiring this year. So there is no "making him an offer" in the offseason. You still have to trade for him.

2. If you are afraid to acquire talent...I don't want you as my GM. We have nothing but a history of having a problem acquiring talent in this town.

3. All Ottawa has...literally the only thing they have...are from the quality of drafting. Murray took that job when the cupboard was bare in the prospect department. And how it wouldn't instill confidence if you looked at Anaheim is beyond me.

Bps21*

I just don't understand people who are either freaking out that we finally have someone acting differently then the way that has failed for every year of our existence...or that wants to maintain a deep but always question filled prospect pool years away from contributing.

If you can get Kane for an expiring player, a low 1 and 2 prospects with a combined 1 NHL game (from a guy drafted what...a half decade ago?) run.

If you can get O'Reilly for another low 1, your third best RHD and a good but again totally unproven prospect like Grigorenko? Run.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I just don't understand people who are either freaking out that we finally have someone acting differently then the way that has failed for every year of our existence...or that wants to maintain a deep but always question filled prospect pool years away from contributing.

If you can get Kane for an expiring player, a low 1 and 2 prospects with a combined 1 NHL game (from a guy drafted what...a half decade ago?) run.

If you can get O'Reilly for another low 1, your third best RHD and a good but again totally unproven prospect like Grigorenko? Run.

begrudgingly agree.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Why would we give up so much future for ROR who only has 100 more games to go before UFA ? It's not like we will be using him for a deep playoff run, imo....So we'd basically be throwing away futures for nothing....Unless of course we are able to sign him to an extension....Just doesn't make sense unless trade could hinge on an extension...

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I think Murray's plan was not build with all these prospects but trade some of them for established players. I think more deals like the Kane deal will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad