LeBrun: Buffalo Sabres have kicked tires on Jason Zucker.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Wonder what it cost.

I imagine 31 and/or Nylander are in play.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Few notes to kick this off:

-Minnesota is likely looking for a right wing or center in the 20-24 age range who can play, or potentially play, top 6 sooner rather than later

-Minnesota is not looking for defensemen

-Zucker is probably not his 64 point season moving forward, but neither is he his 42 point season from last. Everything about watching him his entire career gives me and others the idea that he is somewhere around a 25 goal, 50-55 point, defensively responsible left winger.

-Probably not going to take on a bad contract to make it happen unless the value in the player we get is high

-Also not looking to build a deal around picks or prospects who won’t play in the NHL this year or next at the latest

-The Wild are trading him because he is one of our few moveable players with real value, not because he sucks and we want to dump his contract. We have 6 left wings and 1 right wing, and most of our other left wings won’t be moved for various reasons

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Few notes to kick this off:

-Minnesota is likely looking for a right wing or center in the 20-24 age range who can play, or potentially play, top 6 sooner rather than later

-Minnesota is not looking for defensemen

-Zucker is probably not his 64 point season moving forward, but neither is he his 42 point season from last. Everything about watching him his entire career gives me and others the idea that he is somewhere around a 25 goal, 50-55 point, defensively responsible left winger.

-Probably not going to take on a bad contract to make it happen unless the value in the player we get is high

-Also not looking to build a deal around picks or prospects who won’t play in the NHL this year or next at the latest

-The Wild are trading him because he is one of our few moveable players with real value, not because he sucks and we want to dump his contract. We have 6 left wings and 1 right wing, and most of our other left wings won’t be moved for various reasons

We have none of that so if that’s what Fenton is really looking for there’s probably no deal

EDIT: Actually it sounds like Alex Nylander fits the bill.

Reactions: Joel Ward

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
What is the reason for Minn cutting ties with Zucker?

I don't know, to be honest. It's been two years now I keep hearing how they're looking to move him. I think it all began when his contract was up. There were rumors the Wild wanted to move him and not extend him. And this goes back to when Fletcher was still the GM.

I'm going by memory a bit here. It seems like in Minnesota, Coyle and Zucker have always been linked to trades. We obviously know what happened with Coyle.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We have none of that so if that’s what Fenton is really looking for there’s probably no deal

My guess is that Fenton would be looking at Nylander, Mittlestadt, Thompson or Asplund. Which all may or may not work for either team for various reasons. Just my guess based on his past trades and team need.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
My guess is that Fenton would be looking at Nylander, Mittlestadt, Thompson or Asplund. Which all may or may not work for either team for various reasons. Just my guess based on his past trades and team
need.

Mitts is a no go. Botts wouldn't trade Thompson after just picking him up.

My guess is Nylander for Zucker will be considered by both teams. Pretty high upside trade for the Wild considering Nylander is 20 and has looked good in the NHL.

Reactions: Joel Ward

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Makes sense and would be a good move Buffalo signed Skinner and that's great but they need to build off that, they need to add forward depth and this would be a good start, not enough but a good start

Reactions: Snippit

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know, to be honest. It's been two years now I keep hearing how they're looking to move him. I think it all began when his contract was up. There were rumors the Wild wanted to move him and not extend him. And this goes back to when Fletcher was still the GM.

I'm going by memory a bit here. It seems like in Minnesota, Coyle and Zucker have always been linked to trades. We obviously know what happened with Coyle.
Nino, Coyle, Zucker, and to a lesser extent, Spurgeon have often been mentioned in trade rumours, true or not. It's mainly because they are good players with value, but not so much that teams can't hope to pick them up(see Nino trade). That's what happens when;

1- a team repeatedly underperforms in the playoffs.

2- a team changes GM's.

3- the new GM trades for a bunch of young LW's, touting their great potential.

It's not rocket science. Jason had a mediocre(and I would add, unlucky)year, and would be the fourth member of the forward core that Fletcher assembled to be moved within 6 months. As a Wild fan, I get it, but am appalled at GM Fenton's ability to get value in a one for one hockey trade.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Mitts is a no go. Botts wouldn't trade Thompson after just picking him up.

My guess is Nylander for Zucker will be considered by both teams. Pretty high upside trade for the Wild considering Nylander is 20 and has looked good in the NHL.
Oh please. Nylander has been mediocre in the AHL.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Nino, Coyle, Zucker, and to a lesser extent, Spurgeon have often been mentioned in trade rumours, true or not. It's mainly because they are good players with value, but not so much that teams can't hope to pick them up(see Nino trade). That's what happens when;

1- a team repeatedly underperforms in the playoffs.

2- a team changes GM's.

3- the new GM trades for a bunch of young LW's, touting their great potential.

It's not rocket science. Jason had a mediocre(and I would add, unlucky)year, and would be the fourth member of the forward core that Fletcher assembled to be moved within 6 months. As a Wild fan, I get it, but am appalled at GM Fenton's ability to get value in a one for one hockey trade.

My scalp is bleeding because I've been scratching my head over the Nino for Rask trade all this time.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
My scalp is bleeding because I've been scratching my head over the Nino for Rask trade all this time.
It's better than me hammering my head against the brick wall in my basement every time I watch Rask play.

Zucker would be a nice add for many teams, and I think he could really benefit from having CM feeding him pucks, but I think BUF needs a solid top 4 guy more.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

The Nino for Rask trade isn’t really that puzzling. It ended up being bad, but at the time it was a struggling left wing who wasn’t much more than a third liner for us, for a struggling center. Both had proven in the past they could do more than what they currently were, and both GMs were hoping the guy they were acquiring could turn it around with a change of scenery. If Rask becomes a 45 point C again, it’s a fine trade. Not great, but fine. He hasn’t so far, and he may not, and that’s why it’s so bad. It was a risk that didn’t pay off.

For what it’s worth, Nino really came down to earth for the last month or so into the playoffs, and he proved that he isn’t really that kind of scorer when he’s not with Aho.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hands off Buffalo. Zucker is going to Pittsburgh for Kessel.

I rather doubt that at this point.

If you ask a girl to prom and she says no because she wants to see if any better guys ask her, do you still want to go to prom with her?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad