dang111

Oct 20, 2017
Sabres hockey: snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for the past 50 years

edit: whoops had it backwards

Reactions: Dirty Dog

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
if JoJo has to not play in order to be protected, then he should not be on the roster. So we might be on the same page with this being a Botts issue

I’m not going to beat up the coach for not wanting to throw the kid to the wolves in that situation. I know you’re attempting a snarky hot take. But pause and think for a moment. It would be incredibly unfair to throw the kid out there in that situation

I am going to beat up the GM however over the fact that the only two options in net right now are a vet who’s game collapsed last season and a kid with almost no NHL experience. Why did we acquired Hammond if not for this exact situation? (one of the NHL goalies gets hurt)? JJ was certainly not going to be counted on before the season started to play in the NHL. He was still trying to establish himself in the AHL.

We now have UPL starting in games a bit over his head in the AHL and JJ in NHL. Call me crazy but why not have UPL back up JJ in Rochester and let Hammond take the heat up here until Ullmark returns.

None of the above fixes the bigger issues ...... Hutton. As I think @slip said, he should have been replaced a while ago.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I’m not going to beat up the coach for not wanting to throw the kid to the wolves in that situation. I know you’re attempting a snarky hot take. But pause and think for a moment. It would be incredibly unfair to throw the kid out there in that situation

I am going to beat up the GM however over the fact that the only two options in net right now are a vet who’s game collapsed last season and a kid with almost no NHL experience. Why did we acquired Hammond if not for this exact situation? (one of the NHL goalies gets hurt)? JJ was certainly not going to be counted on before the season started to play in the NHL. He was still trying to establish himself in the AHL.

We now have UPL starting in games a bit over his head in the AHL and JJ in NHL. Call me crazy but why not have UPL back up JJ in Rochester and let Hammond take the heat up here until Ullmark returns.

None of the above fixes the bigger issues ...... Hutton. As I think @slip said, he should have been replaced a while ago.

no, I think was agreeing with you :laugh: Especially since you went on to state that it should be Hammond and not JoJo, which is what my quoted post was getting at.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
This wouldnt of happened if we had ullmark.

I mean we still could of lost but not all the goals.

excuses sure, but I actually think the team has decent pieces they just need the goalies to have experience and stay healthy and for crying out loud a second and third line Center , scoring depth

but

joker
Montour
Eichel
Dahlin
Reinhart
Ullmark
UPL
hopefully cozens

you can build around that, it’s just patience has gone through.

I know were 27-25-8 but on paper do we look better then that? Honestly? No one picked us to be fourth in the division top four and were fifth. And I get it’s a 7-4 loss to the sens again...goaltending, Ullmark wouldn’t of let this happen.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016

So to the first part, Jeff was out there for 14 plus minutes and he didn’t score. Hasn’t i. 23 games. Can we kill this best 5 v 5 scoring narrative. He isn’t scoring. If he needs Eichel to score then he isn’t worth 9 m per. Not directed at you, but this echo chamber of Skinner will be fine is deafening. The guy and his agent took Bobblehead behind the woodshed. He got everything he wanted and gave up nothing and now he is an anchor or rather a non entity. This on Skinner to earn his money.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
32 pages (and counting) for a Tuesday night GDT, huh?

I guess we still care. We're either the most resilient fan base on the planet or we're all insane. Following this team is like being in an abusive relationship.

CrazyMonkey1208

Apr 9, 2012
Just received word that the metal 55 gallon trash barrel from the concourse outside section 307 will make it's NHL debut in goal @Pittsburgh this Saturday. Hutton will be a in the presser, a healthy scratch. LET'S GO TRASH BARREL! :yo:

Reactions: jd1970

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I think the Toronto win gave us a flicker of false hope. Probably time to turn out the lights till next year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
So to the first part, Jeff was out there for 14 plus minutes and he didn’t score. Hasn’t i. 23 games. Can we kill this best 5 v 5 scoring narrative. He isn’t scoring. If he needs Eichel to score then he isn’t worth 9 m per. Not directed at you, but this echo chamber of Skinner will be fine is deafening. The guy and his agent took Bobblehead behind the woodshed. He got everything he wanted and gave up nothing and now he is an anchor or rather a non entity. This on Skinner to earn his money.
Narrative?

He was one of the best 5v5 goal scorers in the NHL before he became a Sabre. He had a season with the Canes that was pretty much the same as the one he had with Jack. He doesn’t need to be with Jack to score.

There is no narrative. He is one of the best 5v5 goal scorers who is struggling this season.

He’s also been creating the same rates of HD chances, scoring chances, shots on goal etc as he did last season. But his shooting% is down. Whether its bad luck or lacking confidence he’s not producing as many goals 5v5.

It might help his confidence/luck if his coach didn’t do a lot of things to remove him from advantages offensive situations. Like removal from PP#1, like tonight when we pull the goalie and put out Mojo for the 6 on 4 instead of Skinner, rarely out in OT etc. Even double shift Jack from time to time with him. Thats what that tweet was talking about.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
At least Toronto lost again? I’m actually curious but does this team have more regulation wins then them? I’m positive if we don’t we’re either tied or one back they only have two more ROWS and I remember a lot of OT wins by then this year. I stand by what I said, I don’t think this happens if ullmark is in net but still....

Don’t hate, I’m trying to find something to be happy about, listening to “hello darkness my old friend” on repeat was driving me insane

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Narrative?

He is one of the best 5v5 goal scorers in the NHL before he became a Sabre. He had a season with the Canes that was pretty much the same as the one he had with Jack. He doesn’t need to be with Jack to score.

There is no narrative. He is an elite goal 5v5 goal scorer who is struggling this season.

He’s also been creating the same rates of HD chances, scoring chances, shots on goal etc as he did last season. But his shooting% is down. Whether its bad luck or lacking confidence he’s not producing as many goals 5v5.

It might help his confidence/luck if his coach didn’t do a lot of things to remove him from advantages offensive situations. Like removal from PP#1, like tonight when we pull the goalie and put out Mojo for the 6 on 4 instead of Skinner, rarely out in OT etc. Even double shift Jack from time tto time with him.
He isn’t scoring. Elite scorers score consistently. He is an opportunistic scorer who hasn’t scored in over a month plus. There was a reason the Canes did not want to commit to him for serious money. I think it is apparent why. He is not reliable. Yes when he scores it is at even strength more often than not, but most of the game is played at even strength. He is not fast enough to play in OT. Edgework aside, which is exceptional, he is an average to below average skater in speed and burst. He has a me first, shoot first, game ala EKane. When he is streaking he will put up goals. But his linemates won’t score more. It is either Skinner or bust. So what do you do? Take VO off Jacks line to get him going? Put him on the Power Play instead of VO or Sam or Risto which seems to be working? Get him a real center? Bit at 9 m per we are venting a lot of frustration at everyone but the guy who people said can score without elite centers.

Again, not directed at you, but I am at a loss how this guy can be part of the solution going forward when he is so inconsistent and doesn’t bring other elements that help when he is slumping. If we need to staple him to Jack, I think Jacks output goes down. Tough situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: MagnumForce2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad