Post-Game Talk: Buffalo Sabres at New York Rangers 4/2/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I think there are far too many posters who are quite fine with missing the playoffs and being awful for the next six years and are willing to take the .5% chance that tanking with eventually lead to a Cup.

It's not even worth arguing any more. Ignorance is convinced that something that has happened twice in NHL history will somehow happen in MSG.

On Lundqvist, I don't think he's a generational talent. He's an elite goaltender, but nowhere near the generational talent this board thinks he is. That said, he's really been the only "superstar" the Rangers have had, other than Jagr, since the lockout. What he has done is mask a mediocre team (2005-11), and then fail to play the same way backstopping an elite team (2012-2015). I say that because if Hank were 2008 Hank last season or in the Cup Finals, this team is probably raising the Cup at least once.

If this team fails again (and they will, either in 3rd and get steamrolled by Pittsburgh in the first round, or somehow fall to the 1WC and give false hope by getting to the ECF and getting steamrolled by Washington), and management wants to retool without tanking, I seriously think they should look to move Hank to a team that could use goaltending to go from a non-playoff team to a WC. Unfortunately, I'm not sure really what an Ottawa, Winnipeg, Carolina...could return in assets that would make that viable.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I think there are far too many posters who are quite fine with missing the playoffs and being awful for the next six years and are willing to take the .5% chance that tanking with eventually lead to a Cup.

It's not even worth arguing any more. Ignorance is convinced that something that has happened twice in NHL history will somehow happen in MSG.

On Lundqvist, I don't think he's a generational talent. He's an elite goaltender, but nowhere near the generational talent this board thinks he is. That said, he's really been the only "superstar" the Rangers have had, other than Jagr, since the lockout. What he has done is mask a mediocre team (2005-11), and then fail to play the same way backstopping an elite team (2012-2015). I say that because if Hank were 2008 Hank last season or in the Cup Finals, this team is probably raising the Cup at least once.

If this team fails again (and they will, either in 3rd and get steamrolled by Pittsburgh in the first round, or somehow fall to the 1WC and give false hope by getting to the ECF and getting steamrolled by Washington), and management wants to retool without tanking, I seriously think they should look to move Hank to a team that could use goaltending to go from a non-playoff team to a WC. Unfortunately, I'm not sure really what an Ottawa, Winnipeg, Carolina...could return in assets that would make that viable.
Well, to be fair, that's what I define as tanking, I just want AV gone along the way. He's not getting the best out of his team, he just plays his kind of game and refuses to change it depending on the roster he has. The offense is working, but the defense is a hen house and he refuses to see that his man-to-man game isn't working, at all. Go back to zone defense, how hard can it be?

Good luck to the team that has to put a goaltender behind a team with such glaring defensive holes it's scary. How many games this season has the defense contributed to the win? It's in shambles and after next season, it's going to be even worse. When Yandle is gone and Lundqvist is hopefully gone (I do agree he and the Rangers should part ways, but he's too stubborn and loyal to realize it), it's going to be ugly. Boyle has to be replaced with someone unknown as well.

You don't have to worry about traditional tanking and praying to get a good draft pick, this franchise forced its hand years ago. Nope, Lundqvist will try to save the fort for the rest of his prime years and claw this team to a playoff spot, unless the defense completely loses its wheels and falls off the road. But the playoff part? It'll be 2008 all over again.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Disgraceful effort.

Watched Yandle more or less do the same with Moulson that Girardi did with Ovechkin and I had enough. Turned the TV off and found something else to do. Later I turned it back on to see the team was down 4-3 in the middle of the 3rd--thought about it for a minute but I didn't have the faith and I turned it off again. So.......

It's pretty bad when the team should be gearing up for the playoffs that they can't get a win against two non-playoff teams---worse that they hit the ice not ready to play. Henrik's been mediocre---the defense has been awful--the forwards aren't back checking. Waking up half way through the game is ********. If there's one thing I ****ing hate more than anything it's a **** effort. When they don't want to work I don't want to watch.

If we're out quick in the playoffs I don't want to see a lot of these guys back.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Disgraceful effort.

Watched Yandle more or less do the same with Moulson that Girardi did with Ovechkin and I had enough. Turned the TV off and found something else to do. Later I turned it back on to see the team was down 4-3 in the middle of the 3rd--thought about it for a minute but I didn't have the faith and I turned it off again. So.......

It's pretty bad when the team should be gearing up for the playoffs that they can't get a win against two non-playoff teams---worse that they hit the ice not ready to play. Henrik's been mediocre---the defense has been awful--the forwards aren't back checking. Waking up half way through the game is ********. If there's one thing I ****ing hate more than anything it's a **** effort. When they don't want to work I don't want to watch.

If we're out quick in the playoffs I don't want to see a lot of these guys back.

Pathetic....mail it in . What's the name of that song...Money Changes Everything ?

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
He was absolutely putrid. I thought he was really bad the past few games honestly. But tonight was absolutely the worst he's looked all year.

McDonagh looked pretty bad too especially in the first period.

In their post game comments none of the players seem too bothered. It's like they don't seem to think its a big deal.

They were complete garbage.

THIS worries me more than anything.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Team wins and loses together.

Maybe Hank was awful, maybe Klein was, maybe Yandle... blah blah blah...

THE TEAM LOST

THEY'RE THE ONES WHO NEED TO LOOK AT THEMSELVES IN THE MIRROR TODAY AND SEE WHAT STARES BACK.

All of them.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
If they started the first 20 games at 500 they would be missing the playoffs.
This is a bad hockey team.
For whatever reason.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
That 5 on 3 was brutal. How do you not give at least 30 seconds to Nash, Miller, Staal group after the first group is so stagnant and playing the perimeter? The puck was cleared twice. The opportunity was there.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
That 5 on 3 was brutal. How do you not give at least 30 seconds to Nash, Miller, Staal group after the first group is so stagnant and playing the perimeter? The puck was cleared twice. The opportunity was there.

I reached for the whisky right after that.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
They look like a team whose window is closing. Nine players on this team are 30 or older, and for most of them, their best years are probably behind them. Some of the younger players aren't progressing or have plateaued. The coach is managing the roster as if it is 2013-14 even though some players have regressed since then and the personnel has changed.

This is still a playoff team, but not one who is destined to make a run to the finals, and even reaching the ECF is a tall order for them. While a long playoff run isn't impossible, something has looked off with this team from day 1. If they are still making the same errors they did at the start of the season and have yet to find their consistency at this point, its hard to have confidence that they will all of a sudden pull it together once the playoffs begin.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Blue Jackets tomorrow. That's another game that should be "easy", but it won't be.

lol

Columbus ****ing sucks, but they play their ***** off. We better be ready to start the game. Can't imagine Dubi and Torts are gonna just roll over and let us clinch the playoffs against them.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
True, Mac. They always show up. It all depends on what goaltending CBJ will give us.

You know Torts will be pushing all the buttons.

Bet he's going full Drill Sergeant Hartman right now.

latest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad