GDT: Buffalo Sabres (1-2-0) @ Toronto Maple Leafs (3-1-1) | 7:00PM | SN |

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
PRE-SEASON GAME #6
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (3-1-1) vs BUFFALO SABRES (1-2-0)
AIR CANADA CENTER, TORONTO, ON
7:00PM EST | SN

NYGW108_Maple_Leafs_Sabres_Hockey.JPG

Projected Leafs Lineup

James van Reimsdyk - Tyler Bozak - Phil Kessel
William Nylander - Nazem Kadri - Josh Leivo
David Booth - Peter Holland - Matt Frattin
Brandon Kozun - Sam Carrick - Colton Orr

Morgan Rielly - Cody Franson
Jake Gardiner - Petter Granberg
Stuart Percy - Korbian Holzer

Jonathan Bernier
Antoine Bibeau

Projected Sabres Lineup

Cody Hodgson – Mikhail Grigorenko – Chris Stewart
Zac Dalpe – Torrey Mitchell – Brian Flynn
Nicolas Deslauriers – Johan Larsson – Joel Armia
Matt Ellis – Tim Schaller – Patrick Kaleta

Mike Weber – Rasmus Ristolainen
Nick Petrecki – Andrej Meszaros
Drew Bagnall – Tyson Strachan

Andrey Makarov
Nathan Lieuwen​

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
as this is the game that is going to be probably be the last one before final cuts, i think everyone is going to step their game up. if it were me - i'd want to see Sammy + Leivo again, Percy and Holzer (not Granberg), and the majority of the team you know who is playing October 8th (and since it's a homegame, Nylander but if i were Nonahan I would just come up now and go -the kids playing in the SEL/AHL, we're just giving him a great taste of being here, and he won't be playing with us this year.).

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
David Clarkson missed practice today, so he is likely questionable to tomorrow night.

Robidas was doing drills paired with Phaneuf today. It was unclear if he was cleared for contact, but if he was, he could be a possibility for tomorrow.

Bibeau or Bernier will likely get tomorrow nights game.

We could see Bozak with Kessel for the first time this season.

Didn't he get a swollen eye after his fight ? i really question his IQ !! what a dumb idea to fight in a preseason game after what happened last year (suspension)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Didn't he get a swollen eye after his fight ? i really question his IQ !! what a dumb idea to fight in a preseason game after what happened last year (suspension)

Part of what Clarkson brings to the table is physicality and his willingness to drop the gloves as its part of his game. Its not something you would expect him to change even in a exhibition game.

Very few Leaf forwards are willing to do that.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto

He got suspended for jumping off the bench. Not for fighting.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Part of what Clarkson brings to the table is physicality and his willingness to drop the gloves as its part of his game. Its not something you would expect him to change even in a exhibition game.

Very few Leaf forwards are willing to do that.

If it keeps the Blue bombers out, I'm for it.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
He got suspended for jumping off the bench. Not for fighting.

I guess reading between the lines is not a given for everybody. I meant, he could get injured and miss the start of the season (like last year) because of a silly fight during a meaningless game

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I sincerely hope no one posts Kessel is not trying or is disinterested after this game, I do not believe this for a moment. I give Kessel more credit in the pride department and as a role model to our younger players than this statement.

I would hope the experiment of splitting up our #1 line continues since JVR and Bozak are doing very well without Kessel.

Time for Kessel to gear up for the regular season, his line mates from last year are already there.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
@dalter: Stephane Robidas has been cleared for contact.

He could play tomorrow, but seems he will be in the Detroit games for sure

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Phaneuf also fought in that game. Should your 7 million dollar no. 1 D be fighting a nobody in preseason?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Phaneuf is not Clarktard, even if he would have fought few more times he won't get hurt like that clown just did. LOL

Who is more important to the team? Phaneuf or Clarkson? Who should be fighting between the 2 of them.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Who is more important to the team? Phaneuf or Clarkson? Who should be fighting between the 2 of them.

The real question is did dropping the gloves with Stafford & McCormick do anything to the outcome of the game, season etc?

My answer would be a resounding no. Absolutely stupid - especially when you've got other guys like Carrick willing to fight.

I have no problem with either guy dropping the mits purposely once the season starts, but feels useless in a meaningless game vs Buffalo

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Dion doesn't fight enough.

Dion shouldn't be fighting.

Dion's not fighting at the right time or the right people.

:laugh: And round and round we go.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The real question is did dropping the gloves with Stafford & McCormick do anything to the outcome of the game, season etc?

My answer would be a resounding no. Absolutely stupid - especially when you've got other guys like Carrick willing to fight.

I have no problem with either guy dropping the mits purposely once the season starts, but feels useless in a meaningless game vs Buffalo

I have no problem with either fighting. However one player is getting trashed, while the other is getting excused for the exact same thing.
It is Clarkson's job to fight. Amonst agitating, chipping in goals and strong on the boards. Also to inject life into his team if they are behind a goal or 2. That's his job description.
It is not Phaneuf's job to fight unless the situation calls for it. Someone taking a cheap shot at Kessel or Bernier. When a real message needs to be sent. Not fighting AHLers just because.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I guess reading between the lines is not a given for everybody. I meant, he could get injured and miss the start of the season (like last year) because of a silly fight during a meaningless game

I guess you didn't read in between the lines. I was inferring for you to stop trying to compare last year's fight with Scott to this this year's fight with Mccormick. You are reaching.

He could get injured playing in the hockey game last night as well.

Bottom line is, you can rip on an athlete for anything. I'm sure if he didn't get a point last night and didn't fight last night you would be the same person to say he did nothing.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006

That's why Orr and McLaren are here. Maybe dress one next time before other teams' idiots take out a couple more each game. I'd give Clarkson a black eye myself if I didn't have to answer to Orr.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I have no problem with either fighting. However one player is getting trashed, while the other is getting excused for the exact same thing.
It is Clarkson's job to fight. Amonst agitating, chipping in goals and strong on the boards. Also to inject life into his team if they are behind a goal or 2. That's his job description.
It is not Phaneuf's job to fight unless the situation calls for it. Someone taking a cheap shot at Kessel or Bernier. When a real message needs to be sent. Not fighting AHLers just because.

Its funny though, because I think everything you just described about Clarkson's role is true, but every single thing about that game (preseason, score, opponent etc.) did not call for that type of play, injection of life, whatever you want to call it.

I'm fine with Phaneuf fighting as long as its a skilled player (I would consider Stafford skilled) and a situation that warrants it... but I still don't see the sense in either of them fighting in last nights game given the circumstances.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Its funny though, because I think everything you just described about Clarkson's role is true, but every single thing about that game (preseason, score, opponent etc.) did not call for that type of play, injection of life, whatever you want to call it.

I'm fine with Phaneuf fighting as long as its a skilled player (I would consider Stafford skilled) and a situation that warrants it... but I still don't see the sense in either of them fighting in last nights game given the circumstances.

There are so many things to bash Clarkson for, I'm not going to bash him for fighting. Phaneuf either. You fight and you can get hurt anytime. It could have been the second shift of the the first regular season game. Would that make people feel better? Now we are playing with 11 forwards. It happens. I guess if you don't want to get hurt playing hockey don't fight, don't take a hit and stay on the perimeter. I understand why Clarkson fought. For a guy who was just absolutely brutal the entire season he probably really want to redeem himself. Score a goal, get in a fight, that's what he's supposed to be. Anyway it's preseason and gives us a roster spot to look at Leivo,Kozun,Frattin in that spot.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Last time I checked - Clarkson scored and fought last night - and people are bashing him for it. This guy cant win.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i'm glad that Robidas is cleared to play (he was probably ready at training camp but they wanted to take extra precautions, which doesn't surprise me a bit).

and regarding actually wishing people to be injured? It's one thing to be all harhar i hope so and so misses a few games so we can get a better pick or something, or whatever - but some of you legit want people to be hurt for months on end simply because you don't like them - because of acontract the GM gave him?

Crikey, man.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Good that Robidas should start getting into some games soon, if not this one. Will definitely be relied on out there to help solidify things.

Just keep hoping they learn something from these games and for an impact to be made by the guys trying to make the team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad