Confirmed Signing with Link: Buffalo re-signs Zemgus Girgensons [1 year]

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Awesome. Glad he's in the fold.

To the questions about the Sabres and last season....

Last year was all about Euchel & Reinhart getting some experience. How everyone gels around them was the question and it took over half a season for Blasma to figure a few things out, like Gionta shouldn't be playing a top six role, that Kane really shouldn't be playing with Eichel, and Larsson is very effective playing the shutdown center role.

Girgensons went from being the first line center, and the darling of the organization to kind of an afterthought last year. He was one of our top players, and then got bypassed by the new players brought the into the organization last year....ROR, Kane, Eichel, Reinhart and even Bogosian. Pretty hard for a 20-21 year old kid. There just wasn't a defined role for Girgensons so we're hoping there is that defined role for him this year, as well as the majority of the team. Remember, Nolan didn't have game plans, just "hustle.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I keep getting the Latvian superstar confused with Grigorenko for whatever reason. Same draft year, taken in 1st round, name starts with a G, and sounds like you're trying to start an old car on a cold morning.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
His development has been non-standard in terms of how much 1st-line and PP playing time he got as a rookie grinder. One would assume that it would facilitate his growth as a player. That was 2-3 years ago. Now he's dropped to the 3rd line and might have to play on the 4th next season, because the forward corps are getting quite crowded in Buffalo.

And you're claiming he's going to make substantial progress as a player right now? Girgensons is going to develop offensive tools by playing a more primitive game, by playing less and along with worse linemates?

There's no basis on which to base such a bold statement. When it comes to facts, evidence and statistics, everything points to the opposite.

Oh yea the time he got on Ted Nolan-led tanking Sabres sure helped his development a lot! :sarcasm:

Yes, he's going to make progress as he actually learns how to play the game at this level. He's shown some of that already in his defensive play last season.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Maybe an actual Buffalo fan can chime in more but I had heard he wasn't happy about playing wing but they needed to because Larson was useless unless he played C.

It was more that Girgs never had a clearly defined role. Bylsma just kind of stuck him wherever in the bottom 6 and shuffled him around often. Girgs never had regular linemates or a regular usage. Not sure why he didn't get more time on Eichel's wing, since he looked very good there in the pre-season and in the small handful of real games he played there.

Girgensons did improve defensively last season, though. The offense just took a step back.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
It was more that Girgs never had a clearly defined role. Bylsma just kind of stuck him wherever in the bottom 6 and shuffled him around often. Girgs never had regular linemates or a regular usage. Not sure why he didn't get more time on Eichel's wing, since he looked very good there in the pre-season and in the small handful of real games he played there.

Girgensons did improve defensively last season, though. The offense just took a step back.

He only played with Eichel for a bit and yet Jack was Girgensons' most common linemate. Shows just how much he was moved in the lineup.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Why would Vegas not want a RFA? They would control his rights just like the Sabres did this summer.

hes restricted free agents this year, but signing a multiple contract would make him eligible for the expension, while being UFA next season they dont need to protect him, i know it sounds strange and could hit free agents but maybe they already talk about a resign depending on his performance and its risky because hes gonna hit UFA, so is signing him long term and not being able to protect him.

correct me if im wrong, im just doing speculation. i just find it strange they sign him for a 1 year prove me contract and let him walk after

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Oh yea the time he got on Ted Nolan-led tanking Sabres sure helped his development a lot! :sarcasm:
He wouldn't have anything close to a 30 point season if it wasn't for Ted Nolan. I'm not sure if you even watched the games back then, though.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
hes restricted free agents this year, but signing a multiple contract would make him eligible for the expension, while being UFA next season they dont need to protect him, i know it sounds strange and could hit free agents but maybe they already talk about a resign depending on his performance and its risky because hes gonna hit UFA, so is signing him long term and not being able to protect him.

correct me if im wrong, im just doing speculation. i just find it strange they sign him for a 1 year prove me contract and let him walk after

He'll be an RFA again next year

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He wouldn't have anything close to a 30 point season if it wasn't for Ted Nolan. I'm not sure if you even watched the games back then, though.

He'd be a significantly better player if it wasn't for Ted Nolan. 2015/16 should have been his rookie season.

I did watch the games, I am a Sabres fan after all!

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
In that case you should've known that Nolan didn't call him up, it was Rolston.

If you want to get technical, coaches don't call players up.

Nolan wanted Girgensons on the team because of grit and effort when he should have been learning the ins and outs of the game in the minors. That is a commonly accepted sentiment.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Huh I had no idea how bad his last season was points wise. Was it just a case of less opportunity due to a more crowded roster or was he struggling?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Expected. He didn't exactly earn a big pay day last year.

We'll see if Bylsma even gives him the opportunity to show him he deserves more. Clearly didn't with the constant shuffling last year.

What are Buffalo's lines looking like for next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad