Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
:sabres

LW/RW Miles Wood (RFA '22; $2.75M AAV)
D Mirco Mueller (RFA '20; $1.4M AAV)

:devils

D Jake McCabe (UFA '21; $2.85 AAV)
BUF 2020 4th round pick

The Devils acquire a much-needed LHD upgrade; Buffalo gets a chippy hometown kid with tons of speed, some scoring touch, but rocks for brains.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I would rather base the deal around Scandella+ for just Wood. Scandella can fill in this year and we can give futures of prospect or pick to even out the value.

Reactions: Chainshot

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

BUF 2020 4th round pick

The Devils acquire a much-needed LHD upgrade; Buffalo gets a chippy hometown kid with tons of speed, some scoring touch, but rocks for brains.

Why would buffalo want to downgrade its D for that?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I would rather base the deal around Scandella+ for just Wood. Scandella can fill in this year and we can give futures of prospect or pick to even out the value.

Scandella isn't what we're looking for. We have plenty of meh-to-average depth defensemen. If we're not upgrading, we'll just hang onto Wood.

No.

McCabe just had an "A" put on his sweater so that should tell you how Krueger and Sabres feel about him.

I didn't realize that. Fair point.

Why would buffalo want to downgrade its D for that?

Sabres fans have been inquiring about Wood for years. With the number of forwards coming off their books this summer, I figured they'd value Wood's contract and RFA status upon expiry.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Buffalo just put an "A" on McCabe's sweater and has him playing top pairing minutes this season. Can't see them wanting to trade him.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

BUF 2020 4th round pick

No.

Miles Wood has the hockey IQ of a goldfish. He has good north/south speed but isnt doing anything other than streaking down the ice.

We dont need anymore liabilities and Sabres fans are blind for asking for him. Then again alot of Sabres HF posters seem like gravitate towards players with no NHL skill like this years favorite, Lazar.

It's bad. So I completely believe Sabres fans ask for Miles Wood.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Scandella isn't what we're looking for. We have plenty of meh-to-average depth defensemen. If we're not upgrading, we'll just hang onto Wood.

I didn't realize that. Fair point.

Sabres fans have been inquiring about Wood for years. With the number of forwards coming off their books this summer, I figured they'd value Wood's contract and RFA status upon expiry.

I am one who hasn’t...wood isn’t worth much and is now overpaid.

Buffalo has too many defense. If they trade one they likrly don’t want yo get one back.

They have Scandella who thry likrly Trade first.

You may look and say thry have 5 forward UFAs potentially coming off the books this summer...buttheyhave some young players in the farm to replace them in Thompson,asplund ,Cozend, Smith, and others to take some of those spots.

Thry likely Trade one of their RD for a forward.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Oh lawd the overrating of McCabe. Don't get me wrong, I actually like McCabe, but he's a 2nd pairing LHD on most teams, a bottom pair LHD on contending teams.

While I don't think I do the proposed trade, let's not pretend he's some untouchable asset. I probably wait and see how Pilut does in his return before making any decisions. I'd much rather move Scandella and keep McCabe as a bridge.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Terrible. McCabe is finally turning into the second pairing leader we hoped for. No thanks.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Oh lawd the overrating of McCabe. Don't get me wrong, I actually like McCabe, but he's a 2nd pairing LHD on most teams, a bottom pair LHD on contending teams.

While I don't think I do the proposed trade, let's not pretend he's some untouchable asset. I probably wait and see how Pilut does in his return before making any decisions. I'd much rather move Scandella and keep McCabe as a bridge.
Overrating, or pointing out he has a letter on his sweater?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Yeah, it's not like we haven't seen a glimpse of McCabe playing well for 10-15 games and then he goes back to us all wondering what he's doing with the puck. That he's part of the leadership group is new, which might indicate they aren't as interested in moving him now as they were before. He's nice to have at the moment, but if he reverts to McBrainfart, upgrade him.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Six months ago, Sabres fans would’ve said yes. Today, no. (From me as well)

The hockey world is an interesting place.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014

I don't think anyone is arguing that he's "untouchable", just pointing out that with him getting the "A" and playing top pair minutes now under the new coach, it's highly unlikely that he's traded.

I would say no to the OP. I'm not even sure I'd do it if it was Scandella instead of McCabe in the trade offer. I just don't see what Miles Wood would bring to the Sabres bottom-6 that we don't already have an abundance of. We need either a 2nd line C (hard to come by), or someone to play 2nd line wing who can keep up with Johansson and Skinner. We have a lot of RHD that we can shop for that type of asset. That's really the only type of trade I see the Sabres being interested in at this point

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
McCabe is the perfect #4/5 dman and he is only 26. Miles Wood is just another Girgs type player circa 14-15. Wood would get 10-11 mins a night. Mueller wouldn't even crack our blue line. McCabe was projected to be better then what he became but he still is a solid #4/5 type.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

McCabe is a top 4 on nearly every team in the league....I have no idea what team would put him on the bottom pairing considering he is a perfectly capable defender which is why he is paired with Risto successfully. I don't get the hate for a defenseman who rarely makes mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad