Proposal: Buffalo - MTL: Tuch/Matheson

Status
Not open for further replies.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
With the signature of Alex's younger brother today with the Habs and the news that Buffalo wants to go for a shake up this summer, I wonder what it would take to reunite the Tuch brothers?

Buffalo has plenty of Fs, but needs to improve their D whereas Mtl has too many Ds and need help in the top 6.

Matheson has 2 years left at 4.875M
Alex Tuch has 2 years left at 4.75M.
They are 2 years appart (Matheson just turned 30, Tuch turns 28 in a month).

So what gives, is it a 1-for-1 kind of deal? Tuch is younger, but defensemen usually carry more value than wingers (except power-forwards, so here Tuch carries more value).

Buffalo:
Dahlin - Jokiharju
Matheson - Clifton
Byram - Power

Montreal:
Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Tuch
Roy - Dvorak - Anderson
Armia - Evans - Gallagher

My suggestion:

Matheson + WPG's 1st 2024 + Kidney (fresh start)
For
Tuch + Buffalo's '24 3rd round pick

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
With the signature of Alex's younger brother today with the Habs and the news that Buffalo wants to go for a shake up this summer, I wonder what it would take to reunite the Tuch brothers?

Buffalo has plenty of Fs, but needs to improve their D whereas Mtl has too many Ds and need help in the top 6.

So what gives, is it a 1-for-1 kind of deal? Tuch is younger, but defensemen usually carry more value than wingers (except power-forwards, so here Tuch carries more value).

Buffalo:
Dahlin - Jokiharju
Matheson - Clifton
Byram - Power

Montreal:
Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Tuch
Roy - Dvorak - Anderson

My suggestion:

For
metheson would play over byram and power and samuelsson is removed from existence. sounds realistic.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Easy no for Buffalo.

How about Ryan Johnson for Luke Tuch. Reunite the brothers in Buffalo if needed.

Value aside, the Sabres have wing prospects coming out of their ears. We don’t need more. And if Luke wanted to join Alex in Buffalo, he could’ve played out his NCAA eligibility and signed here as a UFA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
The Sabres have wing prospects coming out of their ears. We don’t need more. And if Luke wanted to join Alex in Buffalo, he could’ve played out his NCAA eligibility and signed here as a UFA.
I wouldn’t trade Ryan Johnson for ten Luke Tuchs

I understand. Was just waiting to hear back from the op to say they have enough lefty dmen. Just like you all do.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
I understand. Was just waiting to hear back from the op to say they have enough lefty dmen. Just like you all do.
I do agree with you that they have an over abundance of LHDs.
That's the one big caveat I'd say to this whole proposal.

Although, it does open the door to "other" moves.
Meaning, a 3rd team could be involved here whereby Buffalo gets a RHD instead of Matheson. (i.e. Marino from the Devils ending up in Buffalo, NJD landing Matheson and Mtl Tuch.)

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I do agree with you that they have an over abundance of LHDs.
That's the one big caveat I'd say to this whole proposal.

Although, it does open the door to "other" moves.
Meaning, a 3rd team could be involved here whereby Buffalo gets a RHD instead of Matheson. (i.e. Marino from the Devils ending up in Buffalo, NJD landing Matheson and Mtl Tuch.)
Yeah even then no reason for the devils to trade a righty defensive dman to add a puck mover like matheson with Hamilton/hughes/nemec in the fold.

No reason for Buffalo to move a local good winger.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Junior Tuch is a long shot to make the league. He's worth a 3rd. Nice last name with okay stats as 22-year-old college kid.

On the flip side I don't think Alex had great stats in the NCAA either before blowing up in the NHL. Not saying Luke will match his older brother or anything. We'd be happy if he turned out as a physical 3rd line Winger.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
On the flip side I don't think Alex had great stats in the NCAA either before blowing up in the NHL. Not saying Luke will match his older brother or anything. We'd be happy if he turned out as a physical 3rd line Winger.
Alex was always a great skater though, Luke does not have that. Needs to add some meanness to his game

Reactions: Maitz

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Isn't Tuch from Buffalo? I don't think he is going anywhere and also Matheson and a low first doesn't fetch Tuch IMO

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Buffalo:
Dahlin - Jokiharju
Matheson - Clifton
Byram - Power

Montreal:
Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Tuch
Roy - Dvorak - Anderson

My suggestion:

For
That is so terrible for Buffalo. Bad fit, terrible value, does nothing to improve their roster and detracts from the forward core a key vet.

All for a lousy defender that is almost all offense from the back. Which NHL team needs a bad defender in Matheson that's all offense? Would need to be a team with no PP QB whatsoever on their roster and a really good defensive D man to try to keep the puck out of the net when Matheson is playing his usual high turnover, low attention to detail defense.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Galaxydoggystyle

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Isn't Tuch from Buffalo? I don't think he is going anywhere and also Matheson and a low first doesn't fetch Tuch IMO

Yeah, the whole thing is silly, The junior Tuch signed to burn a year in AHL. If anything, he's fodder of a trade to Buffalo. Sabres are never trading Alex.

• Haha
Reactions: EveryDay

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
true some high level reasons for this, as OP mentioned,
but (I have no interests here) I wouldn't as Sabres
IMHO
- Tuch is likely part of Buffalo core
- Tuch may be harder to replace
- Buff can probably find(sign/trade) a vet D comparable to Matheson without paying with Tuch

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Yeah he's not paying attention.

Also Buffalo aren't trading Tuch, he's their best forward.

I thought I read somewhere he was getting a game in Montreal. Doesn't really matter to Sabres. I doubt the Sabres will trade Alex Tuch in too many scenarios. Obviously, everyone can be traded but Tuch would require more than his trade value is worth to Canadiens.

I think having Alex Tuch on Sabres would have been a nice bonus if he was a free agent but it invites conflict if he isn't good enough. In Montreal, he gets a fair chance to make the league with brother overhang. Best to the kid.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Buffalo:
Dahlin - Jokiharju
Matheson - Clifton
Byram - Power

Montreal:
Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Tuch
Roy - Dvorak - Anderson

My suggestion:

For
Tuch will cost you a fortune.

He is a local kid from Syracuse. Grew up a sabres fan

Buffalo does not need another LD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad