Speculation: Buffalo is the real danger on the horizon!

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
With Boston, Tampa, Washington, and Pittsburgh slowly declining while Carolina, Rangers, and Jersey are rising and some teams in between like the Islanders and Toronto I think Buffalo is the most dangerous team out there for the foreseeable future that we will have to fight with.

They have Thompson and Cozens signed on sweet deals for the next 7 years as their one-two punch at center.

Dahlin and Power on the back end with Levi in net!

A ton of prospects coming up like Kulich, Benson, Savoie...

We're f***ed! :laugh:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
With Boston, Tampa, Washington, and Pittsburgh slowly declining while Carolina, Rangers, and Jersey are rising and some teams in between like the Islanders and Toronto I think Buffalo is the most dangerous team out there for the foreseeable future that we will have to fight with.

They have Thompson and Cozens signed on sweet deals for the next 7 years as their one-two punch at center.

With our own promising prospect pool ( Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Slafkovsky, Engstrom, Heinemann, Fowler and Beck) and young, rising core (Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Guhle and Newhook), add a couple more productive drafts and the continuing shedding of overpaid, underperforming veterans, we should be a match for the Sabres and most other teams.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Jersey for me going to be good team.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
With our own promising prospect pool ( Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Slafkovsky and Beck) and young, rising core (Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Guhle and Newhook), add a couple more productive drafts and the continuing shedding of overpaid, underperforming veterans, we should be a match for the Sabres and most other teams.
Suzuki+Dach not sure it beats Thompson+Cozens...

And then we have to beat Dahlin+Power...

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

Perhaps. But I look at our overall supporting roster and how they project for future success and can say with some confidence that the future has not looked brighter for our team in many decades. Particularly on defence. I have watched this team for almost seventy years and have never seen a more promising crop of defensive prospects than we have now. Will they all achieve their projected ( hoped for ) ceiling? Probably not. But if most do, this could get very interesting. I suspect other teams are starting to look at Montreal with a certain degree of wariness and unease. And it has less to do with our prospects and current roster. For the first time since the Pollack era, Montreal has a professional, consistent and insightful management team in place. And its that type of management strength that all other teams respect and fear. As they say: There’s a new sheriff in town. And its called professional competence.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Perhaps. But I look at our overall supporting roster and how they project for future success and can say with some confidence that the future has not looked brighter for our team in many decades. Particularly on defence. I have watched this team for almost seventy years and have never seen a more promising crop of defensive prospects than we have now. Will they all achieve their projected ( hoped for ) ceiling? Probably not. But if most do, this could get very interesting. I suspect other teams are starting to look at Montreal with a certain degree of wariness and unease. And it has less to do with our prospects and current roster. For the first time since the Pollack era, Montreal has a professional, consistent and insightful management team in place. And its that type of management strength that all other teams respect and fear. As they say: There’s a new sheriff in town.
Let's hope!

That Buffalo structure still gives me nightmares.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Thompson/Cozens vs Suzuki/Dach: Edge to the Sabres today but I don't think it's massive. Not really scared of the differences on this one.

Dahlin is the one we don't have. He's good in all areas. Guhle or Reinbacher are the only two we can try to measure up but it falls short by a big margin. I guess we will see how much better Guhle gets in his 2nd season and Reinbacher down the road.

Power needs to get more nasty IMO. His hits and blocks are not good at all. Big boy that skates very well but T Myers was like that too. Most say Power will be much better but will he? If he don't become more physical, I'm not so sure about that. I think he will be good but I don't have him up there at the Dahlin level. What is this, his age 20/21 season coming? Guhle as well and I would have both of these guys close. Guhle is about 10 months older. Whip dee doo

They don't have a Caufield and they don't have a Slaf either. Slaf is raw so hard to say where he tops out at. When I look at the top core, maybe the edge goes to the Sabres today but that can change quickly. Habs have a few gems that are still growing or have not even played a NHL game yet.

I'm not that worried about the Sabres but I'm sure the Sabres and Sens will be in the heat of things with the Habs in that 3+ year range. They are just a bit more ahead of us in their rebuilds.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Two years ago nobody would have thought Thompson was anything to care about.

Suffice to say, things can change on a dime.. Joshua Roy could develop like gangbusters and put up Kucherov numbers.. or he could suck and Kulich tops out as an AHL all-star, Levi is just a Jake Allen clone, etc.

I do agree though, I am not worried about Ottawa or Detroit.. Buffalo and New Jersey are the two rebuilds looking the most dangerous in the East.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Perhaps. But I look at our overall supporting roster and how they project for future success and can say with some confidence that the future has not looked brighter for our team in many decades. Particularly on defence. I have watched this team for almost seventy years and have never seen a more promising crop of defensive prospects than we have now. Will they all achieve their projected ( hoped for ) ceiling? Probably not. But if most do, this could get very interesting. I suspect other teams are starting to look at Montreal with a certain degree of wariness and unease. And it has less to do with our prospects and current roster. For the first time since the Pollack era, Montreal has a professional, consistent and insightful management team in place. And its that type of management strength that all other teams respect and fear. As they say: There’s a new sheriff in town. And its called professional competence.
At what age did you actually start watching. From birth, right there in the hospital room (or was it at home with midwife), or a few years down the line?

The first would make you almost 70. The other would make you over 70.

In either case, that's a dedicated fan! Of course, like some even somewhat younger (54, myself -- remember watching from 5 years old, so 1974), there were some serious glory years to help suffer the miserable void since 1993!

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Two years ago nobody would have thought Thompson was anything to care about.

Suffice to say, things can change on a dime.. Joshua Roy could develop like gangbusters and put up Kucherov numbers.. or he could suck and Kulich tops out as an AHL all-star, Levi is just a Jake Allen clone, etc.

I do agree though, I am not worried about Ottawa or Detroit.. Buffalo and New Jersey are the two rebuilds looking the most dangerous in the East.
It would be fun for their fans to finally have a playoff team for sure. They still have a lot to prove.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
It's actually promising that many recent rebuilders have taken shortcuts that should lead them straight to mid territory: Detroit, Ottawa, Colombus, LA, NYR.

I do believe that our potential team is highly rated by other teams' execs, in comparison to fan perception. Right or wrong, other Gms are probably praising the future build of this team, and not putting as much emphasis on the lack of starpower.

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
Buffalo still has no proven #1 goalie so they will miss the playoffs for the 13th straight year.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
The Sabres = top5 prospect pool for like 20 years now.... :slaugh:

The ghost of Rick Janneret might take them to the playoffs this year.

Until then they are Pezzetta's female dog.

IMG_20230314_171611.jpg

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It's hard not to like Buffalo. Talent in all areas and a mostly young core. Plus the sympathy factor – the team has been the butt of jokes for so long that nobody dislikes them. I want them in the playoffs because I've forgotten what it looks like.

The Sabres have done everything right except actually make the playoffs. Just one thing: Too many are anointing Levi as their next starting goalie, which is too soon for a kid with barely any NHL games. But I'm pulling for him. Devon grew up right here in my quiet west-island 'burb and he's only slightly younger than my sons. It would be cool to see him become a solid NHL starter for a contending team.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
As fun as it is to have the Wings and Sabres as laughing stocks, the league is better off when their buildings are full and the fans have something to cheer about.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Buffalo will be in a wildcard spot next season. I think Boston falls out of the playoffs. Their reinforcements for losing their top 6 centers are Lucic and JVR. They're going for moral victories again.

I think Tampa rebounds and is first in the division. They had a lot of hockey on them and having their first break in several years will let the guys rest over the summer. Adding Sheary was good depth for 2 mil. Jeannot and Hagel should be accustomed to the system now. Sergachev is turning into a real #1 D. The team still has no flaws.

Florida and Toronto will predictably be 2 and 3 in whatever order. I could see the Leafs miss if they trade Nylander and get a poor return. Their signings have left much to be desired. Florida could implode if Ekblad doesn't come back healthy early in the season.

Ottawa and Detroit have outside chances at wildcard spots. Without injuries we are clearly last again unless the young guys take huge leaps forward.

Obviously past next season Buffalo and Ottawa are our rivals. I don't really like Detroit's forward set up or prospects so I don't see them as a threat despite such a good D system. Buffalo's team seems like it is built in the same way that Tampa was. Depth and elite players at all positions if Levi is as good as we think. The thing is though Buffalo did a complete reverse build. They got their forwards, then their D, and then their goalie. The forwards could age out before the D really get into their prime. That being said, Kulich, Benson and Savoie look like good replacements coming in.

Ottawa has a chance to implode as well as nobody wants to play there long term. They consistently seem to put together good teams that then bail on them.

Reactions: jrom

Sunfyre

Aug 16, 2023
With our own promising prospect pool ( Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Slafkovsky, Engstrom, Heinemann, Fowler and Beck) and young, rising core (Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Guhle and Newhook), add a couple more productive drafts and the continuing shedding of overpaid, underperforming veterans, we should be a match for the Sabres and most other teams.
The problem with this comparison is that Buffalos prospects hit already, while Habs are hoping to hit on theirs. Buffalo has a ton of high end prospects on top of the young elite prospects already established und producing. So much flexibility in terms of trade chips to make the team a contender. Montreal is currently nowhere near that level

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The problem with this comparison is that Buffalos prospects hit already, while Habs are hoping to hit on theirs. Buffalo has a ton of high end prospects on top of the young elite prospects already established und producing. So much flexibility in terms of trade chips to make the team a contender. Montreal is currently nowhere near that level

Montreal is where Buffalo was a few years ago (when Kevyn Adams took over). Before that, with Botterill and Tim Murray, they were still picking in the Top-5 or Top-10, but they would simply be spinning their wheels. Now that Adams took over and hired Granato as coach, the Sabres seem to be actually progressing.

Montreal, since HuGo took over and hired MSL, is where the Sabres were when Adams took over. Now the hope is that all the top prospects that the Habs have turning pro recently hit like the Sabres' prospects have.

The part that the Sabres have the advantage is that they had high end players to trade and get great returns. ROR moved to the Blues for Thompson (even though at the time it felt like an underwheling return). They moved Reinhart to the Panthers and got Levi in that deal. They moved Eichel to Vegas and got Krebs and Tuch in return. And Tuch is someone who came in and really changed the dynamic of the team on and off the ice.

Habs don't really have those high end players. The ones they do have, are the ones they're building around and not interested in using them as trade chips.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
For some weird reasons, I root for Buffalo as far as 'secondary teams' goes, they've been cave dwellers for so damn long, and they've had some pretty good prospect pools on various occasions, which obviously didn't work in the end, but damn I love their team right now, I'm not exactly sold on Levi/Luukkonen, but they sure have interesting pieces everywhere... again.

Let's just say I hope we get to compete with them in the East for the next decade or so, while I hope Toronto falls back into oblivion.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Tuch is someone who came in and really changed the dynamic of the team on and off the ice.
Tuch has beast mode in him for sure. I agree he's totally changed the dynamic up front. That is what a single missing part can do when the other pieces are in place. Impressive GF record last season now they have to learn how to keep the puck out of their net. Better depth and a team commitment to D will help so it's not all on Levi.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad