Prospect Info: Arttu Ruotsalainen

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Could he be one of the answers at the very least to our PP2 next year? 17pts in 13 games is real strong

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Because I'm a masochist and follow Sabres prospects on Twitter, I know he scored for Ilves today (their third goal). I haven't found the highlight yet. It was on the PP. He also had an assist, bringing him up to points in games on the season. His often linemate Suomi leads the Liiga in scoring. One of my mid-round wants for last season's draft Macelli is one of the leading rookie scorers, also on Ilves.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Because I'm a masochist and follow Sabres prospects on Twitter, I know he scored for Ilves today (their third goal). I haven't found the highlight yet. It was on the PP. He also had an assist, bringing him up to points in games on the season. His often linemate Suomi leads the Liiga in scoring. One of my mid-round wants for last season's draft Macelli is one of the leading rookie scorers, also on Ilves.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
we already have 13 forwards that are going to be strongly fighting for nhl spots. I don’t see him breaking through after camp. As a call up? Sure
Most teams carry 14 forwards, and it's not like Lazar and Rieder are must-haves in the lineup. In fact, their value is probably being the press box crew.

So I don't see it as precluding R2 from making the team.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Most teams carry 14 forwards, and it's not like Lazar and Rieder are must-haves in the lineup. In fact, their value is probably being the press box crew.

So I don't see it as precluding R2 from making the team.

Yea but i don’t see ruotsalainen competing for the same spots lazar and rieder would be competing for. He has a big up hill battle to make the roster. I also don’t see us rolling out three rookies from the gates.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
3 rookies?

Cozens and Thompson. I know thompson/mitts aren’t technically rookies at all, but they are in my mind after spending a year in the minors.

I don’t see them rolling with mitts or roustalainen out of the gate if Cozens and Thompson are already on the roster. That’s a lot of unproven youth for a team set on making the playoffs.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
R2 isn't your typical rookie having played a handful of years in Liiga. I don't see how he's not in the running for a bottom six role given the quality of his competition.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
This man should have a shot at Lazar's job, or even Thompson's spot, if Tage underperforms.

People need to look at Ruotsalainen the exact same way as Pilut. He's ready right now, and doesn't need Rochester.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Ruotsalainen has had a slow start in scoring (2+0 after 4 games). However, his role is a bit different than earlier. Last season he was not playing PK so much (only 45 minutes in the whole season), but now he has played almost 3 minutes PK in every game and the most in the team amongst forwards.

He is a work horse and his time average (20:58/game) is the highest in the league amongst all forwards. One reason for this is that one of the new centers Joni Ikonen (Canadiens 2. round 2017) has not been able to play and Ondrej Roman (former Stars) has been a disappointment. The gap after Ruotsalainen is huge in center position. Last year he had one the league´s best two-way centers Robert Leino sharing the work load.

Forward statistics (A = time/game, YVA = PP time, AVA = PK time)

Areas of improvement are face offs (45% so far) and shooting. He shoots a lot (leads the team with 19 shots), but 1/3 has gone wide of the net. His speed, vision and work ethics make him a reliable player in various situations, but is he NHL caliber? Hard to say - maybe not yet.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Ruotsalainen has had a slow start in scoring (2+0 after 4 games). However, his role is a bit different than earlier. Last season he was not playing PK so much (only 45 minutes in the whole season), but now he has played almost 3 minutes PK in every game and the most in the team amongst forwards.

He is a work horse and his time average (20:58/game) is the highest in the league amongst all forwards. One reason for this is that one of the new centers Joni Ikonen (Canadiens 2. round 2017) has not been able to play and Ondrej Roman (former Stars) has been a disappointment. The gap after Ruotsalainen is huge in center position. Last year he had one the league´s best two-way centers Robert Leino sharing the work load.

Forward statistics (A = time/game, YVA = PP time, AVA = PK time)

Areas of improvement are face offs (45% so far) and shooting. He shoots a lot (leads the team with 19 shots), but 1/3 has gone wide of the net. His speed, vision and work ethics make him a reliable player in various situations, but is he NHL caliber? Hard to say - maybe not yet.
PK might be his ticket to the NHL. This is good experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad