Value of: Buffalo Defensemen

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Looking at values on the following defensemen from those silly HF faithful:

Zach Bogosian, RD, 1 year left ($5,142,857)
Marco Scandella, LD, 1 year left ($4,000,000)
Jake McCabe, LD, RFA (qualified)
Matt Hunwick, LD, 1 year left ($2,500,000) - he's worth nothing - you can have him for free.
Brandon Hickey, LD, 1 year left ($925,000) - RFA to follow season
Rasmus Ristolainen, RD, 3 years left ($5,400,000) - everyone's favorite "oh he's not worth this or that"

At this point the obvious defensemen that aren't moving are Dahlin, Pilut, Montour and Miller. So based on value, of picks, forwards (under 28) and or prospects, what are you offering.

Reactions: IlikeEich

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Ristolainen seems like a high-upside project. His salary is too high for most teams to absorb so I don't think Buffalo can get fair value back. The rest "on offer" are pretty pedestrian.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
What I am thinking is Dallas goes in on Ristolainen. They have the cap space. They have enough Finns for a sauna. Something tells me Jere Lehtonen still works for them. They are in win now mode, and with the outdoor game this year, I am expecting Dallas to be among the favourites in the Central and the NHL. What I was thinking is something along the line of Oettinger, Robertson, Ceccone, Hanzal (camp dump) and Dallas 202o 1st conditionally for Ristolainen. How good could Lindell-Klingberg, Heiskanen-Ristolainen be as a top 4? By dumping Hanzal Dallas can also go after either Zuccarello or Pavelski.

Reactions: FeatherHead

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
What do fans expect for Risto? And more specifically from the Avalanche. Maybe something around Zadorov with both sides most likely asking for the other to add?

I know hes the whipping boy for many reasons, but 40+ point dmen dont grow on trees.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
What do fans expect for Risto? And more specifically from the Avalanche. Maybe something around Zadorov with both sides most likely asking for the other to add?

I know hes the whipping boy for many reasons, but 40+ point dmen dont grow on trees.
It’s probably a case where we fans want Cirelli, they trade Risto for a really bad return, other fans say ”we told you so” and then Risto wins a trophy at the end of the season.
- We’ve reached Edmonton territory where all our talent carries a discount of 50% due to bad team+coach.

Put Risto with a competent LHD, let him focus on boxing out instead of chasing a player all over the zone and just do his thing on offense and you will have a great RHD easily worth a 2C.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Cap hit+injuries=future considerations.
If you have the cap he’s big, mobile and useful but very much a filler not a killer.
Retained 50% he might be worth a 3rd.

How about retained to 4M for Stone + 4th or prospect?

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Risto is awful defensively. Great offensively on the PP but he is on a different level of awful when it comes to defence.

Most of his points come from the powerplay. 5 v 5 offensively he is average but that -41 is a red flag.

Last edited:

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Would take risto on the Pens, pair him with Dumo and hopefully he won’t be so bad defensively.

Not sure what’s the ask

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Risto is awful defensively. Great offensively on the PP but he is on a different level of awful when it comes to defence.

Most of his points come from the powerplay. 5 v 5 offensively he is average but that -41 is a red flag.

As crazy as this sound, I *might* be willing to take a risk on that as a non-Sabres fan.

He’s 24, and his cap hit isn’t too high (relatively speaking). In today’s NHL, 5.4 million is 2nd pairing money. Risto has his warts, but he’s still at an age where he can grow. He also has a lot of great attributes that could make him an asset.

hagan88

May 19, 2014
Dallas, Texas
What I am thinking is Dallas goes in on Ristolainen. They have the cap space. They have enough Finns for a sauna. Something tells me Jere Lehtonen still works for them. They are in win now mode, and with the outdoor game this year, I am expecting Dallas to be among the favourites in the Central and the NHL. What I was thinking is something along the line of Oettinger, Robertson, Ceccone, Hanzal (camp dump) and Dallas 202o 1st conditionally for Ristolainen. How good could Lindell-Klingberg, Heiskanen-Ristolainen be as a top 4? By dumping Hanzal Dallas can also go after either Zuccarello or Pavelski.

I think it will be really hard to let Robertson go even if it means dumping hanzal

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
What I am thinking is Dallas goes in on Ristolainen. They have the cap space. They have enough Finns for a sauna. Something tells me Jere Lehtonen still works for them. They are in win now mode, and with the outdoor game this year, I am expecting Dallas to be among the favourites in the Central and the NHL. What I was thinking is something along the line of Oettinger, Robertson, Ceccone, Hanzal (cap dump) and Dallas 202o 1st conditionally for Ristolainen. How good could Lindell-Klingberg, Heiskanen-Ristolainen be as a top 4? By dumping Hanzal Dallas can also go after either Zuccarello or Pavelski.

I have to say, this isn't that bad, even though I really don't wan to take on a cap dump as bad as Hanzal is, if you're giving up a 2020 (say lottery protected) 1st round pick, plus Robertson and Oettinger, that's a strong offer! I appreciate the sensible approach!

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I have to say, this isn't that bad, even though I really don't wan to take on a cap dump as bad as Hanzal is, if you're giving up a 2020 (say lottery protected) 1st round pick, plus Robertson and Oettinger, that's a strong offer! I appreciate the sensible approach!
Hanzal is not bad at one year and is the rationale for including Robertson. Oettinger addresses the Amerks situation and allows 6k to rehab wo rushing. If this was on the table I would do it in a heartbeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad